How long after hair transplant did you feel comfortable in public?

Hi all - I know doctors say after a few days you can return to normal but when did you feel most comfortable in public? I imagine it takes a few weeks for redness to calm down and hair from donor spot to grow back. Any insight is appreciated, thanks!

• Thanks 1

I personally felt comfortable about 7-10 days post-op when i had done my first head wash and could wear a baseball cap without worry. 

In terms of going out without a hat, it was probably 4+ months when my hair had grown long enough to comb down and over the recipient area. 

I think it truly does depend on whether you care about people knowing you had a HT or feel conscious about the possibility of getting looked at a certain way. I personally didn't want any undue attention and tbh, even now i do still feel conscious in brighter sunlight that the hair is too thin and visible. I won't know how exactly the final 12-18 months result will look because I'm not even at the 6 months mark yet. 

I live in a big city with lots of crazies walking around.

So I just left my house every day with my shaven, red head and nobody would even dare to stare at me. Tey probably thought I was one of those crazy guys who just got into a fight with someone.  It was kind of fun actually

Depends on size of HT . If you wear your  hair currently longer and you're shaving it down for the procedure, I'd suggest wearing it super short around before hand so casual encounters and folks you see and know can have that oh you got a hair cut thing out of the way.

And after a week I imagine you're fine... you'll be aware of of it but most folks won't stare or even register unless you draw attention to it. The redness should simmer pretty quickly, but I'd certainly give yourself a few days of laying low.

Depends on size of the transplanted area, which varies widely from patient to patient. For very minor work, maybe a few weeks. For someone like me, who had the entire scalp fixed, it's going to be a handful of months. 

It really depends. If you’re transplanting into bare areas, it will show as there will be redness and other signs of surgery. If you transplant into areas with existing hair, it might not show that much after a few weeks as the existing hairs can help camouflage the redness.

I went down to the hotel restaurant two days afterwards for some appetizers, had my procedure on Nov 14th didn’t  care what anyone thought because I was so excited with seeing my new hair line. I’ve since returned home and I’ve been staying home resting because I want to get through my first 10 days with proper rest and healing, but I am planning on heading out for a beer and dinner on day 14, besides some dryness in my recipient area I look pretty dam good, lol 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

@Buckeyes10 I mean I literally wear at hat at almost all times so it wasn't an issue. But around 10 months after procedure, I was finally comfortable to go out in public with no hats on. 

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

I felt comfortable going out a few weeks after the procedure with a hat on.  It took me about 3.5 months before I could style my hair in a way that I felt comfortable out without a hat.