Doctor recommendation in US - $$$ is not an issue

Hi all,

If money were no issue, who are some of the most reputable doctors in the United States?  I live in Houston, but don't mind traveling and don't mind paying top dollar for the work.

39 years old and can post pics if necessary.

Thanks for any help

If money is no issue than Dr. Konior is a great choice. Also, look into Dr. Zarev and Dr. Couto. Keep in mind they all have waiting lists of over a year. You should also entertain the idea of getting on finasteride if not already on it. You're a diffuse thinner and it works very well in this scenario. 

• Thanks 1

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

Actually, despite Konior being definetely the best US surgeon I think for your diffusse loss type crown Hasson & Wong would do a better job. They have many cases with great usage of grafts and results.

Konior would do a better job in the front area though.

Edited by WhereIsMyMind
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BDK081522 said:

If money is no issue than Dr. Konior is a great choice. Also, look into Dr. Zarev and Dr. Couto. Keep in mind they all have waiting lists of over a year. You should also entertain the idea of getting on finasteride if not already on it. You're a diffuse thinner and it works very well in this scenario. 

I think I was going to get on that once, but didn’t like the sex-related side effects that people warned about. Some even said it could have long term effects related to impotency.

1 minute ago, DeadPoets said:

I think I was going to get on that once, but didn’t like the sex-related side effects that people warned about. Some even said it could have long term effects related to impotency.

Oh. I wasn't even considering this an option. Pretty sure Konior and most high caliber surgeons will reject you without willingness to start a treatment. There is no other choice for your type of hl.

22 minutes ago, WhereIsMyMind said:

Oh. I wasn't even considering this an option. Pretty sure Konior and most high caliber surgeons will reject you without willingness to start a treatment. There is no other choice for your type of hl.

I read saw palmetto is a good alternative. I would definitely do that.

I’m sure I would take finasteride if I needed to. I’m always just cautious at first with Rxs. Maybe a bit overly cautious. 

Saw palmetto is very weak and anyway the method of action is literally the same (5ARI trying to inhibit serum DHT).

If you have side issues you can try topical forms of finasteride, maybe that goes better, but in your case medication is almost unavoidable.

I was one of those Fin fearmongers who regret now not starting earlier, and I have no sides luckily

10 minutes ago, WhereIsMyMind said:

Saw palmetto is very weak and anyway the method of action is literally the same (5ARI trying to inhibit serum DHT).

If you have side issues you can try topical forms of finasteride, maybe that goes better, but in your case medication is almost unavoidable.

I was one of those Fin fearmongers who regret now not starting earlier, and I have no sides luckily

Good info. Appreciate it. 

Konior. I have a very similar hair loss pattern to you, as the folks who I have passed my photo to will attest (strong front patch, but my crown is worse). Contrary to what some folks are saying, while Konior suggests using medication, he does not require finasteride. I'm about 4 months out, and I'm very happy with my experience (and growth so far).

I'd imagine he'd split your surgery into two. First pass for the frontal third and the second for the crown. good luck!

• Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 4:44 AM, Z-- said:

Konior. I have a very similar hair loss pattern to you, as the folks who I have passed my photo to will attest (strong front patch, but my crown is worse). Contrary to what some folks are saying, while Konior suggests using medication, he does not require finasteride. I'm about 4 months out, and I'm very happy with my experience (and growth so far).

I'd imagine he'd split your surgery into two. First pass for the frontal third and the second for the crown. good luck!

Good to know. If I might ask, do you take any prescription to slow the loss? And how long did the procedure take?

11 hours ago, DeadPoets said:

Good to know. If I might ask, do you take any prescription to slow the loss? And how long did the procedure take?

Not on medication.

I arrived to the office around 6 a.m.. Took one 1 hour or discussing goals/hairline and questions. Surgery was over 12 hours.

• Like 1

If you want the best money can buy for as little grafts used possible I think the best option is Konior.

in your case FUT would be an obvious choice given your hair loss pattern and  if you’re not on meds you might as well plan to be a nw7. That’s where FUT comes best in your play. At this point taking fin for you would only be to keep what you have and minimize future loss. 

at least your forelock seems to be strong so you could save some grafts and do touch ups in the future (another surgery—  probably 2 more). However, slow and steady in your case would be best. Perhaps address the front/mid scalp and address your crown and possibly some parts of your mid scalp after the first. You may lose more hair from the surgery, (shockloss) which may be worse in your case since you aren’t on medication. 

i won’t go into too much detail but I’m sure your doctor of choice will explain it all. 

also if you’re willing to go to other parts of NA. I would suggest H&W in Canada. They’re probably closest to koniors price but also put out very good results. 

Another one in the US is “Bloxham and Feller.”

Edited by Vann

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

41 minutes ago, DeadPoets said:

Wow. That’s a lot of hours lol 

well I mean like when you are paying a doctor tens of thousands of dollars, you expect them to put in work. 

If you are paying a doctor $20k+ for 1 day's worth of work, they better work their a** off lol. 

• Like 1