Just had a hair transplant but I have some concerns

Hi all I've just had a hair transplant (please see photos attached) and I have some concerns

1. They told me I got 1600 grafts at the front but it doesn't look like I got that many.

2. The front hairline seems much higher than the line they drew at the start.

They said my hair is thin so they had to move the hairline up but they carefully measured before they started and said I had enough hair for the hairline they drew on. Have they let me down do you think?

They tried to charge me a fortune for some hair lotion and supplements but I turned these down as I’m pretty sure it’s just a way to get more money out of you is that the right thing?

They charged me extra for PRP Stemcell. Is this worth doing? Is there any way I can tell whether or not they did this as I only have their word that they did it at the same time they did my hair transplant.

They are asking for a 5 star review but I'm not sure they deserve it?

Lastly should I be worried about the side effects of Finasteride or just take it and hope for the best.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

20221020_200922.jpg

20221020_200927.jpg

IMG-20221020-WA0007.jpg

The design in the 3rd pic doesn’t look anything like the 1st pic, from what you can see it looks like a weird shaped hairline and I’m not surprised you have concerns, it’s also hard to see the actual grafts.

Where did you get this done ?

No most difficult time has stared now: After the procedure.

My opinion is:

- We cannot give advice regarding the procedure as the pics are not good enough and important pics are missing (before/after, donor, different angles).

- There is nth you can do know but trust the process

In the meantime educate yourself and learn from others who shared their experience in here. 

- Clinic does not deserve a 5-star rating (especially not at this time) and you should never rely on such ratings

- Give FIN a try and see what happens, there is no other way to find out. Bottom line: If you overthink, it will increase the risk

- All the other stuff including stemcell etc. is snake oil

• Like 1

Sounds like they were more about marketing and up selling 😞 Huge difference between those hairlines. No they don’t warrant a 5* review, and shouldn’t be pushing for one so early on. Yes we need more pics, but it would appear you had a lower amount of grafts. Please do share who the Clinic/Dr was. And also why you chose them? 

Edited by Pbaird98

They were recommended by a friend of a friend.  He was happy with this results.

The blood stemcell thing was odd that said it cost 18,000 baht but then went down to 7000 baht so I did it.   Had done some research on it which seemed to suggest it helps but I kinda regret it now.

I won't name the clinic just yet as I still need aftercare.

They said the hairline looks bad because of swelling and it look different once the swelling has died down.

They gave me a discount to be their "marketing case" and expect a 5 star review as part of this discount deal.

3 minutes ago, Pbaird98 said:

I’m hearing alarm bels and seeing red flags. Giving discount for marketing case despite not knowing the outcome 🤔Did they do this for you’re friend too? Is his ht reached the month 12+ yet? 

Yes I think they did it for him.   It's been a number of months and he is happy with his result.

It was a hospital in Bangkok

1 minute ago, Mrsmith434 said:

Yes I think they did it for him.   It's been a number of months and he is happy with his result.

It was a hospital in Bangkok

Have you got a pic of you’re donor area post op? Should help with giving a approx amount of grafts used. All the other stuff they were up selling are just not worth paying extra for. Transplants are going to take 12 months to mature no matter what. 

Like I said, you have to trust the process now, educate yourself and evaluate the next steps.

Looking at your status, the number of grafts is not sufficient for your loss, and you will require further treatment in the future anyway (if you are not a great over-achiever on FIN).

Honestly, if the used less grafts than told, this would be a good thing: You would have saved more for the future. 

• Like 2

Just now, Gasthoerer said:

Like I said, you have to trust the process now, educate yourself and evaluate the next steps.

Looking at your status, the number of grafts is not sufficient for your loss, and you will require further treatment in the future anyway (if you are not a great over-achiever on FIN).

Honestly, if the used less grafts than told, this would be a good thing: You would have saved more for the future. 

Exactly this 👍🏿

• Administrators

Looks like you’ve had some grafts placed in between hair. 1,600 sounds plausible. I wouldn’t worry now, it’s all said and done. Try not to give in to buyers remorse.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Just now, Melvin- Moderator said:

Looks like you’ve had some grafts placed in between hair. 1,600 sounds plausible. I wouldn’t worry now, it’s all said and done. Try not to give in to buyers remorse.

Thanks for your reply.   I allegedly had 2000 grafts on the crown and 1600 on the front.   Seems like they really screwed up the front hairline.

I had a hair transplant of 1500 grafts in Turkey 5 years ago and the result from that was disappointing.   I picked Thailand because it seems to have more reputable clinics and I paid a lot more than Turkey prices.

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, Mrsmith434 said:

Thanks for your reply.   I allegedly had 2000 grafts on the crown and 1600 on the front.   Seems like they really screwed up the front hairline.

I had a hair transplant of 1500 grafts in Turkey 5 years ago and the result from that was disappointing.   I picked Thailand because it seems to have more reputable clinics and I paid a lot more than Turkey prices.

You have no idea if they screwed it up, because you won’t know until at least 10 months. Try not defeat yourself before you’ve even started.

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

5 hours ago, Happy New Hair said:

The design in the 3rd pic doesn’t look anything like the 1st pic, from what you can see it looks like a weird shaped hairline and I’m not surprised you have concerns, it’s also hard to see the actual grafts.

Where did you get this done ?

5 hours ago, Pbaird98 said:

Sounds like they were more about marketing and up selling 😞 Huge difference between those hairlines. No they don’t warrant a 5* review, and shouldn’t be pushing for one so early on. Yes we need more pics, but it would appear you had a lower amount of grafts. Please do share who the Clinic/Dr was. And also why you chose them? 

Why would you say this? The hairlines don't look different. They look the same to me. 

8 minutes ago, general-etwan said:

Why would you say this? The hairlines don't look different. They look the same to me. 

Studying the post op pics the hairline shaped changed and is certainly is higher in placement than the original hairline that was drawn on. The OP has also noticed this. Its not uncommon at all to make alterations though. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pbaird98 said:

Studying the post op pics the hairline shaped changed and is certainly is higher in placement than the original hairline that was drawn on. The OP has also noticed this. Its not uncommon at all to make alterations though. 

Exactly this

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Mrsmith434 said:

OK, so you actually had 3600 grafts from them and you had a hair transplant previously. This changes what I was going to say a bit. It's not great news that they had to put the hair line higher, but you don't want to spread out the grafts too thin and still not have a satisfactory look after 2 HTs. I don't know how many grafts you had on the previous HT, but you could be hitting near your limit. It could be that once they saw the previous scarring in the donor they decided on going higher with the hair line rather than try to get more grafts and leave you looking depleted in the donor. I personally would want the crown covered, so I wouldn't want less in the crown, but that's me. You may feel differently. All you can do now is wait and see how it turns out. You can always get the hair line lowered later if you have the grafts for it.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

8 hours ago, Pbaird98 said:

I don’t see what you’re seeing. The hairline is placed slightly back from the center of forehead hair that is still native, and cuts across to the temple. That is the line drawn in the 3rd picture and the hairline seen in the first two. I see no change. Keep in mind his forehead looks filled with anesthesia fluid which may give an illusion that the hairline is higher than reality. 

That said I don’t think it’s very good and I share the other concerns about this clinic and procedure. 

Edited by general-etwan

On 10/20/2022 at 10:43 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

On 10/20/2022 at 11:09 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

You have no idea if they screwed it up, because you won’t know until at least 10 months. Try not defeat yourself before you’ve even started.

Sorry for the late reply I hit a daily post limit so couldn't answer you.

Thanks a lot for your answer I was stressed out and your input helped me to relax and not jump to any conclusions.   Much appreciated.

Hi all I wanted to update you.   I paid for 3500 grafts.   2000 on crown 1500 on front.   They said they did 2000 on crown and 1600 on the front.  (Donor area photo is attached)

I do still have about 700 donor grafts left they could have used however I only paid for 3500 grafts as it was my understanding that this would be enough.   Immediately after the procedure I mentioned about the hairline being higher they said I can pay extra for more grafts to lower the hairline and they will do it immediately but they were worried it might cause a bald spot in the donor area.  I was also worried that doing too many grafts at once can cause issues with blood supply etc.

I spoke to the Dr. and she said that my hair is thin and wasn't quite enough for the original hairline so she raised it which as Happy new hair mentioned is normal   

She said that the hairline she designed matches my face shape and if she had done the hairline differently it wouldn't look natural (I realise that you can't see my face shape in the photos)

Ironically after paying for this procedure I decided to see how I would look bald using a phone app that automatically changes your appearance.  I used a photo rating service and to my surprise I got better ratings on some of the photos I had changed to be bald than identical photos with hair 🤦‍♂️.   I always assumed and thought I would look terrible bald but apparently it's scientifically proven that Men who are bald are often seen as more attractive (even if it makes them look older).  Also bald is so much easier so messing around with expensive shampoos counting every lost hair and spending time styling your hair everyday.   I was so focused on the goal of saving my hair I was blinded to the reality of how it would be to be bald.    

I thought I'd go through with the hair procedure regardless as I had paid the deposit and hadn't made a firm decision on what my preference was and to be fair my hairline was a receding which may have impacted the rating.

If this procedure works then great if not I think I may just go bald.   2 Hair transplant attempts is enough for me.  If this doesn't work I'm finished.

IMG-20221021-WA0019.jpg

19 hours ago, general-etwan said:

I don’t see what you’re seeing. The hairline is placed slightly back from the center of forehead hair that is still native, and cuts across to the temple. That is the line drawn in the 3rd picture and the hairline seen in the first two. I see no change. Keep in mind his forehead looks filled with anesthesia fluid which may give an illusion that the hairline is higher than reality. 

That said I don’t think it’s very good and I share the other concerns about this clinic and procedure. 

Thanks for your reply.   With the new photos and info I have given what is it specifically that you don't think is very good?