Things you wish you knew for post HT recovery

I am hoping people could share tips on what led to (or what they think led to a fast recovery)

I have one question though - if I don't go overboard on the number of grafts that minimizes competition for blood right? I read somewhere that too many grafts can cause shock.

Some things I have read.

1) Neck pillow

2) Practice sleeping sitting up before hand

3) Aloe Vera

4) Lotion for the itching

5) Don't fly home right away, better to recover a bit before flying

6) Loose fitting cap

7) Some mention supplements like Biotin, anything else that is recommended?

😎 Rest/Don't workout for a month

9) If a graft falls out but no blood you are ok

10) Get on Fin and Min

Those are some of the things I have read.

Any other suggestions for a faster recovery?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Nobody really that i've seen mentions this. 

"Phantom Pain". I literally for almost a month kept feeling the sensation of the needles/implanters in the recipient area even when the numbness from anesthetic wore off. 

You may not experience it or maybe people do and don't really mention it 

Pimples in the donor area. Very common for me to get them in the first 3 months or so. 

• Like 2

To be honest, the best advice I can give you is to follow your doctors postoperative instructions and try not to stress or worry too much. Time is really the best healer and is what will eventually yield your results… In conjunction with the procedure performed by an exceptional surgeon of course.

The only other tip I would provide in addition to what you’ve mentioned is Nioxen conditioner is a godsend.

The Nioxen shampoo is good too but it’s  the conditioner that is the miracle I’m referring to here.

No, it does nothing to regrow hair or expedite healing or hair transplant growth.  But it is phenomenal at alleviating itchiness in both the recipient and the donor areas after surgery.

I don’t know if it’s the green tree extract or whatever it is, but it provides a cooling/numbing sensation that really takes that itchiness away for at least a little while.  I personally won’t undergo hair transplant surgery without having a bottle by my side for immediate use whenever I need it.

The funny thing is I’ve never heard anybody else mentioned this before, but it works like a godsend for me for this purpose alone. So give it a try and let me know what you think - if you experience any itchiness.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Administrators

If you’re getting FUE you can resume working out by 14 days. I would switch from topical minoxidil to oral minoxidil. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

If you’re getting FUE you can resume working out by 14 days. I would switch from topical minoxidil to oral minoxidil. 

you still haven't had any heart or chest issues?  I've had palpitations after using topical so I'm hesitant to switch.

Don't panic if hairs shed, especially around the two-three week mark. 

You can touch your head after 10 days. Being too gentle leads to a lot of crusting.

Avoid the sun -- if going out, a beanie is great during winter or loose fitting cap in summer.

• Like 1

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, BaldBobby said:

you still haven't had any heart or chest issues?  I've had palpitations after using topical so I'm hesitant to switch.

None at all, felt no difference besides my hair being thicker and my body hair growing faster.

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.