The Couto review paradox ? I feel that he's on the same level as Freitas, Vila, and Pinto. Probably Lorenzo, Alvarez and Heinicke too.

I was looking at the top hair transplant doctors for the 2022 and 2020 edition. Couto comes up often as number 1, but then it follows up a discussion of how there's rarely any reviews of him. 

I'm looking for a surgeon to finish my hairline and been looking at the top docs for that. Couto and Freitas come up often at the top tier of those discussions. 

I searched on the spanish forum directly, and there's a few but not that much by Couto. I went back 15 pages to where the last response was from november 2019. Just a handful of reviews for Couto. 

But there are a few that keep coming up that definitely have a lot of wow results. Freitas, Vila, Pinto, Lorenzo, Alvarez and Heinicke.

I surprised by how good Vila's results are, considering she's not really mentioned that much. I feel her results go head to head against Freitas and Couto. I think Pinto is among that elite tier too. 

Lorenzo, Alvarez and Heinicke all have amazing wow factor results. There are a few which aren't as wow, but they are patients with more aggressive hairloss or not a super insane donor density. I'll have to look deeper, but just looking at their top results, maybe they are in that elite tier as well. 

I wonder if youtube is being a heavy factor in the ratings, I think out all the portfolios, Couto ranks number 1 regardless of skill. 

I think from the independent reviews, you got to give top spot to Freitas, and then a tie for Vila and Pinto for number 2. Couto just doesn't have that many as far as I can tell, on the other hand that forums search engine sucks so maybe I'm missing something, but I went back 15 pages to where the last response was november 2019

Edited by HairRun

20 minutes ago, Necktarine said:

i don't know but maybe writting his name correctly we find more reviews.. 🤣

couto instead of cuoto 

Haha whoops, but I just tried 'couto' and still nothing comes up 

Yeah vila was well loved on the Spanish forums when i visited. 

Lorenzo is controversial i think. Charges a lot, does a ton of surgeries in a single day and didn't have the pleasant bedside manner of certain other docs. 

• HairRun changed the title to The Couto review paradox ? I feel that he's on the same level as Freitas, Vila, and Pinto. Probably Lorenzo, Alvarez and Heinicke too.
22 minutes ago, The comeback king said:

I’ve seen loads of couto cases here like 15 https://foro.recuperarelpelo.com/viewtopic.php?t=80853 

this is the best forum for Spanish doctors and has lots of pinto,Freitas and couto 

pinto is the most consistent but couto has the best results . There are real patients. Reviews which match his social media . I’m seeing couto in April in madrid for a consult 

Do you have the right link? It's a review of ASMED DR. KORAY ERDOGAN - 3221 GRAFTS FUE (7 MONTHS)

Good marketing and echo chamber effect. Some doctor gets praised then everyone starts without much thought piggybacking off someone else’s recommendation. 

That’s why you find some doctor doing amazing work but relatively unknown.

6 minutes ago, The comeback king said:

Yeh that the website , you need to search couto on it that was just the link I posted but that is the website . This website gives you lots of cases for the Spanish ones 

The search function doesn't work for me. I came across a handful going back to nov 19 so 15 sounds about right. The thing is, Frietas has loads and loads more. I wonder what's causing the discrepancy. 

• Administrators

I'm not sure how you're searching, but these are just a few that I found searching his name. He's definitely one of the best in the world, there's no denying that. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

16 minutes ago, The comeback king said:

Yeh the search bar doesn’t work , translate it and go to the section with patient cases . It will have latest ones going in descending order. Yeh lots of Freitas cases , seen quite a few subpar ones . But given the high volume of cases he has on the forum that is expected .Pinto impressed me a lot , he has real consistency across the board 

Yeah, so it's hard to compare. For the first 4 pages Couto has 11 reviews, Freitas has 22, so roughly a 2x ratio. Maybe Freitas does 2x a day vs Couto doing 1x? I've also seen trickier cases with Freitas, some older guys, some with not so amazing density. Though there is a review of an older guy on this forum and Couto nailed it. You seem to have a solid sense of the Spanish doctors, what are your personal rankings of the top 5? I just started looking into Spanish doctors, so still hazy on them. 

16 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I'm not sure how you're searching, but these are just a few that I found searching his name. He's definitely one of the best in the world, there's no denying that. 

Oh yeah, this search engine here works, I was talking about the search engine on the Spanish forum. It doesn't work lol 

I guess another think to keep in mind is how many patients each one does a day, what steps to day do, extract grafts, slits, and place grafts. 

Also, what is their surgical team is like? Is it a super tight quality control like Konior and Shapiro? 

Maybe this is where Couto gets the edge out. Hasn't he been doing it longer? Where as Freitas is new, so maybe he hasn't had a chance to build up a team where everyone he's worked with has at least a decade experience. 

This information is so easy to look up for English or highly English accommodating clinics, it's extremely hard for Spanish due to translation issues and their search engine doesn't work lol. 

On 10/13/2022 at 8:19 PM, HairRun said:

This information is so easy to look up for English or highly English accommodating clinics, it's extremely hard for Spanish due to translation issues and their search engine doesn't work lol. 

Most if not all of the "Spanish" (usually includes Portugal) clinics mentioned here and elsewhere are "English accommodating". Most of these doctors (can only personally vouch for Pinto and Lorenzo) speak absolutely perfect English. I did extensive research on "the Spanish forums" before having surgery, it's quite easy with Google Translate, and yes their search functions work just fine (one in particular, you need to be signed up and logged in to be able to search with any regularity). It's really not that hard.

There's plenty of reviews for all of the doctors mentioned here on those "other" forums. Everyone wants to talk about ranking, or who edges out who, but the truth is that they're all in the top tier. The patient is the other side of the coin - your donor and physiology partly determine your result.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...