Should I tell clinics that I don't want any crown work done? Is it too early?

I've consulted a few clinics and a couple have suggested re-evaluating the crown after a 1-2 years after the first hair transplant and a couple have suggested putting ~500 grafts in the crown. I'm leaning towards one of the clinics that offered the crown work but I'm wondering if I should tell them I don't want it. 

I forget the exact reason, but I've read a couple different people saying not to do it either too young or with not a super bare crown yet. 

Thoughts?

Age 26, on fin. 

IMG-8303.JPG

IMG-8326 (1).jpg

IMG-8370 (1).jpg

IMG-8404 (1).jpg

IMG-8407.PNG

IMG-8184.jpg

IMG-8226.JPG

IMG-8252 (1).jpg

IMG-8270 (1).jpg

IMG-8279 (1).jpg

IMG-8294.JPG

• Administrators

I would opt for doing the crown, you’ve lost enough hair to warrant surgery. 500 sounds too low though in my opinion, you need at least 1,000z 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

A lot of people say to not do the crown because if you continue to lose more  in that area you will be left with "hair island" surrounded by a ring of baldness. 

And while that may be true, honestly the same thing can happen if you get work in the hairline and then continue to recede behind it, so I'm not sure why people continue saying this. Maybe I'm missing something? 

How long have you been on Fin for? If you're tolerating it well that should alleviate at least some worries about being left with hair island. 

• Valued Contributor
1 hour ago, spiral said:

I forget the exact reason, but I've read a couple different people saying not to do it either too young or with not a super bare crown yet.

The main reason is that MPB is progressive and the crown will continue to increase in size. This can lead to an island of hair in a bald area requiring more an more grafts to be added. If you are on finasteride and you feel that your hair loss has stabilized then it makes sense to do the crown. All the best.

3 hours ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

A lot of people say to not do the crown because if you continue to lose more  in that area you will be left with "hair island" surrounded by a ring of baldness. 

And while that may be true, honestly the same thing can happen if you get work in the hairline and then continue to recede behind it, so I'm not sure why people continue saying this. Maybe I'm missing something? 

How long have you been on Fin for? If you're tolerating it well that should alleviate at least some worries about being left with hair island. 

I imagine with the hairline, you can kinda cover it by styling your hair forward or back by nature of the shingling effect you can expect further recession to be partially covered a bit just by styling hair as you normally would

With the crown, most of the hair grows outward from the crown so you're in a bit of a sticky situation since you can't really style your hair to cover a bald crown unless you go for a man pony tail which most guys aren't keen on doing I'd imagine.