Hairs sprouted but not growing

Hi,

i had surgery 7,5 months ago. I have many hairs that does not seem to be growing. These are hairs that initially shed and sprouted 3-4 months ago. They have been at same length and are not growing. They are very short so its hard to show on pictures. They sit pretty firm and cant easily pluck them out using tweezers. 

seems to be somewhat unusual, but have seen other people reporting similar things happening to them. Wanted to see if this have happened to more people on here, and if they eventually just have fallen out or started to grow at some point.

@im_not_a_robot,

Quick question, are you using topical minoxidil at all? The reason why I ask is, if you are, it’s possible that the newly sprouted hairs are related to an actual use not actually transplanted hairs that are throwing.  On the other hand, if it is transplant hair that’s not growing, I do agree that’s a little strange. However, it does take up to 12 to 18 months for a hair transplant to fully grow in and mature. I suggest giving it time to see what happens. If your situation does not change and the transplanted hair does not grow, I recommend contacting your surgeon to garner their input.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

31 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@im_not_a_robot,

Quick question, are you using  Topical minoxidil at all? The reason why I ask is, if you are, it’s possible that the newly sprouted hairs are related to an actual use not actually transplanted hairs that are throwing.  On the other hand, if it is transplant hair that’s not growing, I do agree that’s a little strange. However, it does take up to 12 to 18 months for a hair transplant to fully grow in and mature. I suggest giving it time to see what happens. If your situation does not change and the transplanted hair does not grow, I recommend contacting your surgeon to garner their input.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Thank you for the response. Have been using topical minoxidil for years, so unlikely to be related. Also, these hairs are mostly along the hairline, where there have not been hairs for 10 + years. 

guess i’ll just have to wait and see

What do the new hairs that recently grew in the hairline look like? Are they thin, fine and colorless that are only evident because you can feel them or are they visible to the eye? Or are they thick, dark and mature looking (other than the fact that they are short and not growing)?

at the end of the day, I do think that waiting is the only thing you can really do at this point. At 7 1/2 months, New hairs could still be popping out and growing. So give it the necessary time and reevaluate it between 12 and 18 months.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

3 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

What do the new hairs that recently grew in the hairline look like? Are they thin, fine and colorless that are only evident because you can feel them or are they visible to the eye? Or are they thick, dark and mature looking (other than the fact that they are short and not growing)?

at the end of the day, I do think that waiting is the only thing you can really do at this point. At 7 1/2 months, New hairs could still be popping out and growing. So give it the necessary time and reevaluate it between 12 and 18 months.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

I would say the hairs that are not growing are thick and feels coarse. They are very short, but they are visible to the eye. 

thanks, will do! Crossing my fingers they start growing eventually 🙂

I'm also around 7.5 months post surgery and I have got alot of stubble hairs which are neither growing or shedding. Are these grafts damaged? Can damaged grafts stay in your scalp for 7.5 months without shedding?

• Administrators

Pictures? I

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

10 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Pictures? I

These stubble hairs are very short and hard to see on pictures unless you really zoom in. I can feel them in my crown and in the hairline.

33 minutes ago, RTC said:

I am having the same thing. I have certain hairs that grew in at like 10 weeks and haven't done anything since then.

Very concerned these are 'dead grafts'...

i have gotten a few of these, and i can't pluck them too. but i notice some that popped out after a few weeks, and in return, i see new hair. it's possible that the follicle is in resting phase, and your stubble is just stuck, until new hair grows out and push out that "stubble".

i'm not sure about OP's however, since he's already 7.5 months, but it's possible it's the same case.  either way, there is not much we can do about it but hope and take care of it. hopefully it's just stuck on resting phase at the moment.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I get these as well. On me they will either eventually fall out or some of them will just start growing. Generally by month 9 they are all gone.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

15 hours ago, RTC said:

I am having the same thing. I have certain hairs that grew in at like 10 weeks and haven't done anything since then.

Very concerned these are 'dead grafts'...

Welcome back bud. 

In terms of hair and growing, it's probably just going through the phases and will eventually shed and hopefully regrow. Unfortunately this is the worst psychological part of hair transplants and i think the "Full results at 12 months" moniker of recent years has done a disservice to people when some people may have a delayed response on hair cycles and need up to 18 months even for hairs to fully come in and properly mature. 

That's why i'm hoping my results look solid by 12 months, but if they can improve even 10-15% more over another 6 months, that's great.