does this make prp more credible???

nyny12

London, United Kingdom, August 13, 2009 --(PR.com)-- A unique Titanium microneedle roller called the Scalprollertm was unveiled by the British biotech Nanogen at a recent conference in Amsterdam. Over 400 of the world's leading hair loss surgeons and trichologists visited the recent July ISHRS annual meeting where the Scalproller was first exhibited.

Nanogen's Scalproller has 4 clinical applications to enhance existing hair loss treatments. When using the Scalproller, penetration of Minoxidil - a prescription hair loss treatment, is increased by over 5 times on treated skin compared to untreated skin. Additionally, Scalproller therapy fades and removes donor scars from hair transplant surgery. Cutting edge hair loss treatment Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) also requires Scalproller treatment to activate the growth factors. Furthermore, the latest research on behalf of Intercytex by Dr Bessam Farjo, and pioneering studies by Dr George Cotsarelis provide evidence that Scalproller therapy may produce new hair growth independently of any other treatment.

Dr. Farjo, immediate past president of the ISHRS and also an attendee of the conference, was impressed with this innovation, "Nanogen's Scalproller device is interesting in that it uses concepts of recent leading-edge hair loss research. Certainly, as demonstrated by the recent Intercytex cell therapy trials and previous work on the animal model by Cotsarelis et al., there is good research data to show stimulation of hair growth in response to skin stimulation or injury. Studies have also shown that needle holes of 0.5mm depth or more penetrate the skin sufficiently to increase the diffusion of compounds of similar molecular weight and charge to Minoxidil."

The Scalproller is unique in that it is the only microneedle therapy roller specifically designed for hair loss treatment. According to Nanogen Medical Director Elliot Isaacs, "The previous technology for dermatological purposes was insufficient to meet the durability and accuracy requirements of a professional medical device. Harder titanium needles and precise European engineering techniques were necessary to produce a roller that will stay sharp for over 4 months, and perforate the skin to the exact depth every time."

The Scalproller, already the subject of several international patents pending, was enthusiastically received by the hair loss and surgical community. Both the home use versions and the longer 1 & 2mm clinical models are already in use in a range of professional practices, and several applications have been made to Nanogen to conduct new research utilising the Scalproller.

does this make prp treatments even more credible since they use essentially the same thing as Scalproller along with our own growth factors? Was thinking of doing prp next week and this makes me want to do it even more. Am I right in thinking this way?

I had seen a similar product online before. The main difference with this and PRP is that PRP will have 7 times as much platelets and hence growth factors than this will. Therefore, if you can get a benefit from the scalp roller - PRP should be better.

The Price seems a bit high for what is essentailly a ball with needles. What about issues with hygiene - could it be used more than once - shouldn't it be sterile each time? What about pain, since no anaesthetic is administered? Seems like a bit of a gimmick - just to keep up with the latest developments.

I noticed in the intercytex trials that "pre-stimulation" of the scalp increased hair count more dramatically than without it. They must have used this scalproller thing.

In my eyes this info does make PRP more credable. Although I'd prefer to have PRP done than use some roller device on my head. And like I said, PRP should be better.

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

nyny12 - to answer your question.. no not in my view. it does make some statements however that in my opinion actually weaken the argument for PRP.

Since PRP is administered in conjunction with injury to the scalp (to borrow Dr. Farjo's term) one is left with 2 potentially influencing factors simltaneously that can affect growth. therefore one cannot be sure if growth seen with PRP is a result of the plasma or a result of the injury that accompanied it.

Since Doctors would rather charge $600 for the more "complex" approach I doubt any would offer to run a needle roller on your head for a much more nominal fee of say $10.

this sounds awfully similar to aeration of lawns. It is true that lawns can thicken up by merely punching holes in the soil.

A home use roller sounds interesting. A whole generation of balding men will all of a sudden be exposed to the world of S&M.

icon_smile.gif

Scalproller, what an interesting concept. So it's basically a ball with needles that rolls over your scalp? What is the hypothesis as to why injuring the scalp would be an effective hair loss treatment? Where is the science to support this belief?

Personally, I can't see how the above makes PRP more credible. Frankly, the above seems more like a promotion for Scalproller more than anything else. I'm also now sure how "cutting edge" PRP is and I'm still not comfortable calling it a "hair loss treatment". In my opinion, it's still an experimental "procedure" (not treatment) hypothesized to treat hair loss.

Straight forward photos seem to convey that PRP may increase hair shaft diameter in a short period of time, though I'd like to see extreme close-ups of targeted areas before and after that may be more revealing. Also, I don't think there's any evidence yet to suggest it cause dormant hair follicles significantly impacted by male pattern baldness to grow.

Personally, though I understand the excitement, I think there's a long way to go and many questions to be answered befor I'd ever feel comfortable calling it a "hair loss treatment".

Best wishes,

Bill

Comment by Dr. Farjo: Pangaea is a company I have known for about 10 years which started out making a scalp fibres camouflage product called Nanogen which we sell on to some of our patients. They have become involved in a variety of other hair products over the years, but earlier this year they approached me after the Intercytex data suggested scalp 'stimulation' made a positive difference to the hair counts. They showed me their scalproller device and they suggested it could help stimulate hair growth on the principle of causing scalp injury, and they also speculated that it would significantly aid Minoxidil absorption into the scalp. They discussed a number of other interesting ideas and projects and I agreed that the principles behind their scalproller suggestions are scientifically plausible. We are currently in discussions about writing appropriate protocols for clinical trials. I can not endorse the Scalproller device itself until further clinical research is at hand.

Mick

Patient coordinator for Dr. Bessam Farjo who is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Originally posted by Bill - Associate Publisher:

Scalproller, what an interesting concept. So it's basically a ball with needles that rolls over your scalp? What is the hypothesis as to why injuring the scalp would be an effective hair loss treatment? Where is the science to support this belief?

Personally, I can't see how the above makes PRP more credible.

Bill

Dr. Greco's PRP procedure protocol involves the use of a dermaroller/scalproller to "injure" the scalp on the theory that it serves to activate the platelet rich plasma or otherise enhance the effect of the procedure. You can see Dr. Robert Jones use such a roller in his self-administered PRP procedure on YouTube. Dr. Feller currently uses manual needle pricks in place of a the scalp roller.

I don't know of hair restoration physicians who subscribe to the view that traumatizing the scalp with one of these rollers stimulates regrowth or enhanced growth on its own (absent the injection of platelet rich plasma beneath the epidermis) - but maybe some do? Esteemed physicians?

a.j.

• 3 weeks later...

Who doesn't know where they bought a medical device with needles from? icon_eek.gif You're a braver man than me notjustyet!

The first post is just a release isn't it? Aren't they always promotional?

I'm interested in the device because of Minoxidil really not PRP, but from what I can tell they seem to be saying it's great becuase it increases the effect of PRP, and it might be good by itself but there's not much proof?