Why I didn't like my experience with HMR (Dr. Cortez, Tijuana)

My hair loss journey began 10 years ago as I started on a daily (1mg) finasteride and (topical) minoxidil. After extensive research, I decided to get my hair transplant at HMR Tijuana Mexico with the Cortez brothers. Nearly two years later after multiple conversations, I can say that I personally did not like my experience. The day of the hair transplant I was extremely nervous and Dr. Cortez did not have the most reassuring temperament, but was nice to begin with. Everything went well during the extraction process as I conversated while the staff while they watched a soccer game (the distraction can be good or bad/ you can judge that for yourself). We had lunch and soon after began the implantation process. This is where I began to feel very nervous. After Dr. Cortez made the incisions, he began implanting my hair follicles and I began to hear grunting and groaning. It continued for about an hour, and this point it was not just grunting and groaning but it sounded like straight up frustration. I asked him if everything was okay and he replied "You have a very dense cranium, I am trying my best to implant the hairs". Well my anxiety before was probably a 6 or 7 it was now surely a 10! Mind you, when I am anxious I freeze so I was not moving around, just overthinking a lot in my mind but trying to stay as calm as possible. We ended up going a little longer than expected as it was 8 hours for 1,750 grafts. I was glad things were over and immediately began the recovery process. Below are pictures of my recovery process. Some key points I would like everyone to keep in mind:

• I only had one Cortez brother, not both so fatigue might have been a factor.
  • I did have some shockloss in the donor zone but for the most part recovered.
  • I do have a spot the right side that he overharvested but it's noticeable only to myself.
  • He may have under estimated the grafts needed for the procedure.
  • He gave me a very linear hairline even though I wanted a widows peak. 
  • Although we agreed to give me a widows peak, he drew it but barely gave me more than a few hairs in that zone.
  • To be fair, perhaps some of the hair grafts in that area and overall did not survive.
  • I personally believe the force he put into my head diminished some of the survival rate of the follicles.
  • Although I am happy to have more coverage, I do think it could be better and I will be going to another doctor in 2023.
  • My biggest problem with the actual result is that he gave me a permanent "comb over". No matter how hard I try my hair online looks "normal" and is not sticking up unless I comb it to the right.
  • Perhaps he was trying to flow into my temporal peaks. But then again, he did not want to do my temporal peaks so what is the long-term goal of this hairline design?
  • I've noticed this tends to be his style as some of his procedures show a linear hairline with a slight comb over.
  • At the end of the day I just wanted to voice my opinion on my experience.
  • I will advocate for anyone that goes to the Cortez brothers or any doctor in general is to have a specific game plan laid out. More importantly to know and understand where and how they plan to implant your hair follicle directions especially on the hairline.
  • This can drastically effect your hair style choices and overall attitude of the result just like myself.
  • Once again, I know some might believe this is an "amazing" result or others may say it's "not very good" or maybe even somewhere in between.
  • I simply wanted to report my experience now that I have had a couple of years to think about it.
  • I do not completely hate it, but I am not happy with it either.

20190423_095949.jpg

20190423_100004.jpg

20190423_095934.jpg

20180611_173115.jpg

308394250_834501480904298_1434839890337508546_n.jpg

309076422_952856468847234_8292002785095384601_n.jpg

308845996_867051100952700_7239277096391199218_n.jpg

308906345_463073092454811_5124414453389788440_n.jpg

donor hair 2.jpg

• Like 1

I see what you mean about the comb over, it’s kind of funny 😆, sorry I had a laugh imagining him groaning and grunting for an hour while implanting hairs. 

Sounds like a terrible experience and the hairline is funny like that done by crap hairmill. Maybe he was having a bad day or just didn’t like you. I don’t know why else would a doctor show his annoyance verbally for an hour. I am sure no doctor enjoys implanting hairs as its menial boring work but they hide their annoyance.

Maybe you can use hair spray to tame those wild hairs

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, LookMaxx said:

I see what you mean about the comb over, it’s kind of funny 😆, sorry I had a laugh imagining him groaning and grunting for an hour while implanting hairs. 

Sounds like a terrible experience and the hairline is funny like that done by crap hairmill. Maybe he was having a bad day or just didn’t like you. I don’t know why else would a doctor show his annoyance verbally for an hour. I am sure no doctor enjoys implanting hairs as its menial boring work but they hide their annoyance.

Maybe you can use hair spray to tame those wild hairs

I can assure you it wasn't funny. I can usually make things work with hairspray but sometimes it's annoying as hell.

25 minutes ago, Greenlantern2020 said:

I can assure you it wasn't funny. I can usually make things work with hairspray but sometimes it's annoying as hell.

Oh, I know it would’ve been terrible for you going through that. Sorry that was bit insensitive of me.

I guess the positive is that the density seem OK for the number of grafts implanted. Maybe you can grow your hairs out long and it would be better. Shorter hair definitely don’t look that great or hard to style.

• 4 months later...
  • Valued Contributor
On 9/29/2022 at 10:23 AM, Greenlantern2020 said:

Regardless I am due for another procedure (definitely somewhere else). I think adding density and adjusting the hairline design to a more natural widows peak will help.

Its nt a worst result bt a bit lacking ...and ths is fixable so u cn search out other options or u cn even ask ur surgeon and ask him for a touch up...

• Thanks 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

• Administrators

I think it looks like a decent result, not perfect but not a complete failure. But, in the end, the patient has to be happy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks for sharing your experience and current opinion after your result. It is not the best result but at least the growth is there. As you say, adding density and trying to do a repair could bring you the result you were looking for in the first place. 

How much did you pay per graft? Any idea where you would choose to go for the repair?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2023 at 11:30 AM, Melvin- Moderator said:

I think it looks like a decent result, not perfect but not a complete failure. But, in the end, the patient has to be happy.

Hi Melvin, I'm inclined to agree with you. In an objective setting I know it's not terrible, but I also believe that the result and experience could have been better. With that being said, I do think another procedure will be helpful.

1 hour ago, Gatsby said:

I think it's a good result. Have you tried styling your hair in a different manner? The thing is that temple points would really make a big difference as they would frame the face with your hairline. All the best!

Thanks, I truly appreciate your positive feedback. The temporal peaks are complicated for me because I tend to like my hair shorter on the sides and it seems like it would be a waste of grafts if I don't grow it out (which I know I wouldn't). I think softening the hairline with a second procedure and density would make my hair easier to style 

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Greenlantern2020 said:

Im booked with Nader for July 11th. Can't wait!

Excellent, Dr. Nader is a fantastic surgeon. 

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.