Thinking of Starting Oral Minoxidil ? What is the Safe Dose ?

I have this question to guys especially mid age guys here like 35+ what is the does of Minoxidil you guys are on ? I am thinking about starting Oral Minoxidil but thinking what would be the best minimum does of Oral Minoxidil which is safe and yet is good enough to give results. Would you guys say 2.5MG or  should I split the 2.5MG tablet in half and take that ? I  have been on Finasteride/Dutasteride on and off my hairloss is not severe and it has stabilised. 

Worried about the side effects like faster Heart Beats, Drop in Blood Pressure, Fluid Retention in Body etc...

Edited by augustya

33 minutes ago, Curious25 said:

I would suggest consulting with a medical professional and not to look to seek advice from a group of random people on a hair loss forum. 

1 hour ago, civic said:

I would consult with medical doctor before taking any dose. 

I knew this was coming. I am anyways gonna do that. But my appointment is taking a little too long. Hence I wanted to get an idea till then, what is the most common and popular dose which guys with similar age and problem follow ?

Hi! A dermatologist is your best bet. I got my prescription here in the States (free). I have genetically high blood pressure and cholesterol so I wanted to chat about that before switching from topical to oral. All good so far with me. Hair viscosity and texture is already better only after two months. Starting dose was 1.12mg daily for a week, then settling at 2.5mg. Watching closely for hypertrichosis and ankle swelling. My healthy diet and no drinking/smoking may help with that, but I’m no Doc. My GP didn’t want to prescribe it, my dermatologist did. 

Edited by GaryStruthers

2 minutes ago, GaryStruthers said:

Hi! A dermatologist is your best bet. I got my prescription here in the States (free). I have genetically high blood pressure and cholesterol so I wanted to chat about that before switching from topical to oral. All good so far with me. Hair viscosity and texture is already better only after two months. Starting dose was 1.25mg daily for a week, then settling at 2.5mg. Watching closely for hypertrichosis and ankle swelling. My healthy diet and no drinking/smoking may help with that, but I’m no Doc. My GP didn’t want to prescribe it, my dermatologist did. 

Did you get 1.25 MG does readily in the U.S or did you cut the 2.5MG in half ? And then take it ?

15 minutes ago, GaryStruthers said:

Hi! A dermatologist is your best bet. I got my prescription here in the States (free). I have genetically high blood pressure and cholesterol so I wanted to chat about that before switching from topical to oral. All good so far with me. Hair viscosity and texture is already better only after two months. Starting dose was 1.12mg daily for a week, then settling at 2.5mg. Watching closely for hypertrichosis and ankle swelling. My healthy diet and no drinking/smoking may help with that, but I’m no Doc. My GP didn’t want to prescribe it, my dermatologist did. 

How long were you on topical prior to starting oral? Would you say you've seen noticeable improvements on oral compared to topical? 

3 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

How long were you on topical prior to starting oral? Would you say you've seen noticeable improvements on oral compared to topical? 

1 year on topical Min, 1 year on 1mg Fin. After 1 year I grew a lot of hair back, and will forgo a transplant at this point. I chose Bisanga or Frietes  for a future surgery and thought it best to adhere to ‘their’ post med stack to be sure I didn’t suffer from side affects (knowing that meds are for life). Topical Min is great! But seen this is for life I figured I’d try oral for ease of use. 

9 hours ago, GaryStruthers said:

1 year on topical Min, 1 year on 1mg Fin. After 1 year I grew a lot of hair back, and will forgo a transplant at this point. I chose Bisanga or Frietes  for a future surgery and thought it best to adhere to ‘their’ post med stack to be sure I didn’t suffer from side affects (knowing that meds are for life). Topical Min is great! But seen this is for life I figured I’d try oral for ease of use. 

Yep ! The biggest advantage of oral minoxidil is ease of use, no messy hair. Use Hair styling products as much and as many times you want. Even that is my motivation aswell.

Edited by augustya