Getting a discount in Belgium?

Hi everyone i wanted to ask something since i saw someone on reddit mention this.

Some guy said that clinics in Belgium charge 21% VAT, but if you get a paper from your doctor stating that hair loss is causing you mental stress, you don't have to pay that. This is done by your local doctor and not the hair surgeon in belgium.

Does anyone know about this? And if it's true, what are the exact steps needed to go through with this? 

What are these papers to get exactly, and when should i send them to the hair surgeon?

• Administrators

I believe it's at the discretion of the clinic. Some clinics are willing to give you a discount if you agree to allow them to use your photos for marketing purposes. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

10 hours ago, 6head said:

Hi everyone i wanted to ask something since i saw someone on reddit mention this.

Some guy said that clinics in Belgium charge 21% VAT, but if you get a paper from your doctor stating that hair loss is causing you mental stress, you don't have to pay that. This is done by your local doctor and not the hair surgeon in belgium.

Does anyone know about this? And if it's true, what are the exact steps needed to go through with this? 

What are these papers to get exactly, and when should i send them to the hair surgeon?

I'm Belgian and I never heard of this.

I know someone who had a procedure and could put the 21% VAT as a professional expense because he owns a marketing company.

But I'm pretty sure you have to be a Belgian resident to be able to do this.

12 hours ago, 6head said:

I heard this too. Wish I pursued it for my case.

7 minutes ago, 6head said:

No one ever did this? Weird

Can you link to the reddit post?

VAT reclaim is notoriously a pain in the ass. I work in international logistics so it's a topic I'm familiar with. 

As far as the process for reclaiming the VAT, you'd obviously want to hang on to all your receipts from the HT. Then you will need to discover if your transaction qualifies for VAT reclaim based on the stipulations laid out by the Belgian government. If so you would then begin the process that they lay out which typically means providing them with receipts and whatever else they ask for. 

Belgium allows VAT reclaim for 1 year from the purchase date so you would want to have all your ducks in a row as you're likely to hit unforeseen snags along the way. It can also often take years to get the VAT amount refunded to you even after you've submitted everything and been approved for a VAT refund. 

Also I could be wrong but I don't think it's just Belgium that charges VAT on HT's. I believe pretty much any European country would charge VAT.

VAT in general is kind of odd to us Americans since we don't have VAT, we have sales tax but it's determined state by state and not at the national level like in most all other countries. 

47 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Can you link to the reddit post?

VAT reclaim is notoriously a pain in the ass. I work in international logistics so it's a topic I'm familiar with. 

As far as the process for reclaiming the VAT, you'd obviously want to hang on to all your receipts from the HT. Then you will need to discover if your transaction qualifies for VAT reclaim based on the stipulations laid out by the Belgian government. If so you would then begin the process that they lay out which typically means providing them with receipts and whatever else they ask for. 

Belgium allows VAT reclaim for 1 year from the purchase date so you would want to have all your ducks in a row as you're likely to hit unforeseen snags along the way. It can also often take years to get the VAT amount refunded to you even after you've submitted everything and been approved for a VAT refund. 

Thanks for the info

It was an old thread so i only took a screenshot with the information

So it's not an immediate discount when paying for your transplant, it's like a refund that you can claim after paying the full sum?

Yes, in the world of imports/exports that I exist in, you pay the full VAT amount up front and then after that you apply for the VAT reclaim. 

Similarly when tourists go shopping in Europe they do it the same way, buy something from a store in Belgium, pay the full amount including VAT, keep the receipt, and then apply for VAT reclaim (At the airport usually I believe in these type of cases). Maybe you could do it this way to and apply at the airport I'm not sure. 

• Like 1