Your estimate on the design in green?

Hi guys, I did this design for my HT and sent it to my top 3 clinics, in 3 different countries. But I've been getting wildly different graft estimates back from all 3 based on my design. If you could give me your best estimate on the graft number needed, I think that would really help me, give me more perspective.

Its quite disheartening as all 3 are dramatically different estimates, the highest one is 3 times higher than the lowest. My research tells me these clinics at least pretty decent and reputable. I know estimates based on photos are subject to change after the in the room consultation. But I've spent a lot of time learning a lot about HTs and which clinics I like. This design is all I want, nothing extra. (with room for the doctors input).Please help me, share your estimate number.
Thanks a lot!
Im 39 years. Been taking finasteride for 19 years. I think my hair is as stable as one can expect. Its been more or less like this for 19 years.

Justin Hair Lines Blurred Smlr.jpg

Edited by MarkW

Thanks HappyMan, I just updated the post with this info: 

Im 39 years. Taking finasteride for 19 years. I think my hair is as stable as one can expect. Its been more or less like this for 19 years.

I can and will share the clinics, and even the quotes, but perhaps your estimate would be bias free if your have your say first. Yes?

Edited by MarkW
spelling typo, added info
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MarkW said:

Im 39 years. Taking finasteride for 19 years. I think my hair is as stable as one can expect. Its been more or less like this for 19 years.

whoa, nice. Objectively I think your hair is pretty decent as is, but true if i were in your shoes I wouldn't be satisfied unless I was a NW1 lol.

You should say the clinic names, it could be helpful. 

Regardless, as long as you go to a good doctor I think this should be a layup. 

Your biggest worry might be getting price gouged since the surgeon will have so little work to do 🤣

IF you were to just transplant the area in that green you would not need more than 400 - 500 grafts. The reason you are getting variations in recommendations, is probably cause clinics know that reality is a lot different than pictures. You most likely have thinning in the front hairline as well, where you have existing hair  and it would need transplanting. No one goes from thick hair to bald . It is a transition from thick hair to thinner and thinner hair and then bald. your pics show a clear bald skin that you want transplant but the "transition area" is left for the clinics to be interpreted. 

55 minutes ago, MarkW said:

Hi guys, I did this design for my HT and sent it to my top 3 clinics, in 3 different countries. But I've been getting wildly different graft estimates back from all 3 based on my design. If you could give me your best estimate on the graft number needed, I think that would really help me, give me more perspective.

Its quite disheartening as all 3 are dramatically different estimates, the highest one is 3 times higher than the lowest. My research tells me these clinics at least pretty decent and reputable. I know estimates based on photos are subject to change after the in the room consultation. But I've spent a lot of time learning a lot about HTs and which clinics I like. This design is all I want, nothing extra. (with room for the doctors input).Please help me, share your estimate number.
Thanks a lot!
Im 39 years. Been taking finasteride for 19 years. I think my hair is as stable as one can expect. Its been more or less like this for 19 years.

Justin Hair Lines Blurred Smlr.jpg

I think 100% under 1000 grafts for both sides with that specific design but if you don't mind me asking, why that specific design?

Maybe it's because the lines are curved but i don't know if in terms of aesthetic impact, it will make a big enough impact for you to feel it was worthwhile. 

That said, it's 100% an elective and aesthetic procedure and i wouldn't want to deter anybody from getting their perfect hair goals. 

20 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

whoa, nice. Objectively I think your hair is pretty decent as is, but true if i were in your shoes I wouldn't be satisfied unless I was a NW1 lol.

You should say the clinic names, it could be helpful. 

Regardless, as long as you go to a good doctor I think this should be a layup. 

Your biggest worry might be getting price gouged since the surgeon will have so little work to do 🤣

Thanks a lot for your input!
Do you have an estimate for me?🙏

My top 3 options:
Dr Gur - FueCapular Istanbul 
Alvi Armani - LA
Dr Cortez - HMR Tijuana

If you really want to I think you could pack your hairline with probably 900 grafts max to get as much density as possible. But I would think that would be a 2 session type of procedure. The first to probably get as much round 1 then the second to reevaluate and add that density in there.

I dont think you would need to shave your head down. But you could possibly get away with FUT if you always have your hair grown long. But I think you would need a ton of singles so FUE would be your best bet.

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

22 minutes ago, shiba1985 said:

IF you were to just transplant the area in that green you would not need more than 400 - 500 grafts. The reason you are getting variations in recommendations, is probably cause clinics know that reality is a lot different than pictures. You most likely have thinning in the front hairline as well, where you have existing hair  and it would need transplanting. No one goes from thick hair to bald . It is a transition from thick hair to thinner and thinner hair and then bald. your pics show a clear bald skin that you want transplant but the "transition area" is left for the clinics to be interpreted. 

Thanks a lot for your estimate 🙏 your input is appreciated!
Did you mean 400-500 in each side, or all up?
And what you say is true, but for the sake of getting an actual answer, Im only asking about the areas in green.

Edited by MarkW

19 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

if you don't mind me asking, why that specific design?

Maybe it's because the lines are curved but i don't know if in terms of aesthetic impact, it will make a big enough impact for you to feel it was worthwhile. 

I guess a few reasons;
I dont want it to be hugely noticeable. 
Im not young, I dont want to have a 20 year olds hairline when Im 60 (in 20 years). {I mean if it were natural I wouldn't complain, but if I did make it come a lot more forward, it would probably cause me issues if it starts to fall out behind}. 
I know how my hair behaves when styled, from looking at it all my adult life, i believe this is the minimum I need to create a fuller look on me. 

9 minutes ago, Vann said:

If you really want to I think you could pack your hairline with probably 900 grafts max to get as much density as possible. But I would think that would be a 2 session type of procedure. The first to probably get as much round 1 then the second to reevaluate and add that density in there.

I dont think you would need to shave your head down. But you could possibly get away with FUT if you always have your hair grown long. But I think you would need a ton of singles so FUE would be your best bet.

2 sessions? for this design, Im confused?

14 minutes ago, MarkW said:

Thanks a lot for your estimate 🙏 your input is appreciated!
Did you mean 400-500 in each side, or all up?
And what you say is true, but for the sake of getting an actual answer, Im only asking about the areas in green.

just for the green 400 - 500 would be enough total for both sides. I mean its barely 10 cm2. So at 50 FU per cm2 it would be 500. 

My go to clinic for this transplant is NOT amongst the 3 clinics you mentioned. But I dont want to deter you from your choices cause we all have our favorites.  But  I feel like there are better clinics that would fall within those price 

Edited by shiba1985

13 minutes ago, MarkW said:

Thanks a lot for your input!
Do you have an estimate for me?🙏

I don't have an estimate. Photos and webcam consults can be thrown out the window once the surgeon inspects you in person. And even then they may overcount or undercount the # of grafts needed .

But at face value, I mean sure I guess as the other commenters say maybe 1k or less grafts. 

But as another commenter said I think, people don't transition from thick hair to suddenly baldness. If I had to wager I think your currently covered areas may need some sprucing up. Or at the very least it would give you peace of mind to get grafts planted in non-balding areas to plan for the future. 

6 minutes ago, MarkW said:

yeh i have no idea about this advise. I would stick with FUE for this small of a procedure. goal should be one session. one and done if you go to a good surgeon and your expectations are realistic.  

19 minutes ago, MarkW said:

One session will never be enough to get you what you want with the amount of grafts you would like… you would have to seriously dense pack it. I am assuming you would want it close to the native hair since your hair loss is very minimal from the looks of it. The only person I have seen pull off one procedure is @Fue3361 and he probably sacrificed a lot of grafts due to the competition of each follicle trying to survive but it looks insanely good. 

i mean you could always sense pack it with 50-55cm^2 but it would still be pretty open since you’d probably need a ton of singles. 

that’s just my trail of thought. 

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

On 9/18/2022 at 3:20 PM, shiba1985 said:

just for the green 400 - 500 would be enough total for both sides. I mean its barely 10 cm2. So at 50 FU per cm2 it would be 500. 

My go to clinic for this transplant is NOT amongst the 3 clinics you mentioned. But I dont want to deter you from your choices cause we all have our favorites.  But  I feel like there are better clinics that would fall within those price 

Thanks for this, yeah Im really a bit baffled as to how to estimate how many cm2 these areas would come to. So I think you for that input :)

Also, Im interested to know your go to clinic?
Thanks

On 9/18/2022 at 3:00 PM, mr_peanutbutter said:

not more then 600 imho

awesome that finasteride holds your hairloss for so long..would you mind sharing what norwood your older msle relatives are and if you got any severe sideeffects from finasteridd?

Thanks! 600 for the lot yeah?
My mothers side are all similar hairlines to mine (as pictured), my father is also similar to mine, however his father was norwood 6 or 7, and my brother is 4 (he also has a hairy body, I do not). 
So its really hard to say if the fin is helping me or not. As for side effects, yes it is a concern, I have quite a low labido. After a HT i would like to take a year off the fin, to see if it has effected my labido.  

3 minutes ago, MarkW said:

Thanks! 600 for the lot yeah?
My mothers side are all similar hairlines to mine (as pictured), my father is also similar to mine, however his father was norwood 6 or 7, and my brother is 4 (he also has a hairy body, I do not). 
So its really hard to say if the fin is helping me or not. As for side effects, yes it is a concern, I have quite a low labido. After a HT i would like to take a year off the fin, to see if it has effected my labido.  

oh so you might dont even need it

wouldnt it be smarter to pause finasteride before you make an aggressive hairline? in case yoi really dont want to take the drug anymore and you also start receeding?

I don’t think you need a hair transplant at all and feels like a waste of money but that’s just me.

I think you need 1k grafts minimum simply because you care and going through the effort of getting HT for filling in a small area for a juvenile hairline so you will not be happy  unless it’s high density. Anything less than 1k and it will look thin especially because there has to be singles and not multi. Heck, I would say 1500-2000 might be needed, there’s another guy who had a ton of grafts implanted to lower his natural hairline and an extremely dense look is what pleased him. 

The clinic that quoted you the highest number is the one you should probably go with because they know how to please you and understand your mentality. 

• Like 1

MarkW,

Are the photos you presented above the only photos you sent to the clinics who provided estimates for you?

Hair transplant surgery is as much of an art as it is a science. As a result, each artist/surgeon may have a varying opinion on how many grafts you will need to provide you with a cosmetically pleasing result at their clinic.  Moreover, the number of grafts isn’t quite enough to determine how much density you will receive in that particular area - you also need to know the approximate number of hairs.   For example, if that area is made up mostly of single haired grafts (at least the very first couple of rows should be), the result will be far different than if larger grafts containing more hairs were used.

Also, the reason I asked about whether or not you sent additional photos is because some surgeons might feel that in addition to filling in the area you’ve marked in green, it may be ideal to place grafts behind it due to present or future risks of additional thinning.  After all, hair loss is progressive and if you lose more hair behind the area marked in green, it will look extremely unnatural unless hair is placed far enough behind it so that if you lose more natural hair, there won’t be a gap.

Also, surgeons/clinics have varying opinions on how much density creates a natural and full looking result.

So, it’s not unusual that even the best of surgeons will provide varying graft estimates considering the above.  The key is to make sure you select a surgeon based on a proven ability of producing outstanding results.

In other words, when you search for a surgeon/clinic and you view results posted by either the clinic or the patient, you should be impressed by what you see.  If you’re not, then I suggest selecting a different clinic. If you are, then I wouldn’t get so hung up how many grafts a surgeon is suggesting as long as the number isn’t entirely nonsensical.

At the end of the day, it’s always good to ask questions. If you want to know why their graft estimate is greater or less than another doctor or clinic, ask them.  If their answer makes sense and satisfies you and you’ve already done research to determine they’re doing consistent excellent work, then go for it.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

I just wanna say that with your current hair in as amazing shape as it is, refining the temples is going to look soooo good. You're in a very fortunate position. 

As for the number of grafts, I echo what was said above about once they see you in person, even the original estimate could change - assuming these were virtual consultations. My initial estimate would've been around 600-800 or so depending on how densely they pack them, how many singles they need, etc. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56