Need some help

Hello guys

I am a 21 years old student in toronto. I started losing hairs when I was around 18-19.

Now, my hairline is almost gone and its in stage 2 of balding pattern.

I ve lost all my confidence and I am in great complex about my hairs. I changed my hairstyle and started wearing it long with hat most of the times. I finally decided to take a HT. What are some cheap HT clinics in toronto? Since I am a student, I cannot afford an expensive one.

Can it be done from 1500-3000 range?

Thanks for your time.

Hello guys

I am a 21 years old student in toronto. I started losing hairs when I was around 18-19.

Now, my hairline is almost gone and its in stage 2 of balding pattern.

I ve lost all my confidence and I am in great complex about my hairs. I changed my hairstyle and started wearing it long with hat most of the times. I finally decided to take a HT. What are some cheap HT clinics in toronto? Since I am a student, I cannot afford an expensive one.

Can it be done from 1500-3000 range?

Thanks for your time.

Canada has a few very highly regarded HT doctors that are competitively priced but a HT at $1500-$3000 would probably be a very small amount of transplanted grafts. I would guess that would be around 200-1000 grafts. With that said a HT at your age is a huge step. Can you post some pictures? Have you considered a tight clipper cut instead? Do you know if you are considering strip or fue? How long have you been researching? I'm sorry you had to face this at such a young age. I wish you the best of luck. icon_smile.gif

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Have you tried medical treatment (Propecia/ Minoxidil)?

I totally agree that if you aren't on the medications you should try those first. It might not be what you want to hear right now but it is unlikely a doctor will want to treat you for a small session if you are not on meds. This is because they could do something in the hairline but the hair behind it may continue to retreat.

(I assume you meant $1500-$3000 not 1500-3000 grafts which might come in around $6000-15000 for a strip or double that for fue.) There is another topic on how you might be able to get a better deal if you are prepared to go on a standby list. I'm not sure if that could be an option for you perhaps during your vacations?

http://hair-restoration-info.c...=415109831#415109831

I'm not an expert but for what I heard and research you are way too young for HT.

Maybe at this point try some other options meds like propecia and rogaine.

Or perhaps even shaving your head, today specially if you are young it's a look consider cool and hip and try not to stress out too much according to my hair dresser that contributes to the hair loss. Good luck and do research please.

Thanks for replies guys.

I have been searching for around a year or more.

I am not sure about strip or fue. I will post the pics asap. Btw can I get the same result with the hairpieces? I mean, do they look natural?

Since I have lost only my hair line and it looks like U shape. Would it help?

Thanks again for your time.

Deviansaliva,

Don't panic just yet. I too started to recede in my early 20s (as did my maternal grandfather whose pattern I seem to be following). He died in his 40s long before I was born, and from the photos I have seen of him, he had the same hairline from his late 20s up until his death. Sometimes recession starts and then goes no further (don't ask me why). I am now 26, but my pattern hasn't really changed much since I began to lose it in my early 20s and was feeling the same way you are. I am however getting my hairline reconstructed, as I don't like it, but I still have a very decent head of hair. My advice would be to wait about five years and see how things are then. In the meantime, get on to finasteride (propecia/proscar) to help prevent further loss.

Take it from me.. i was in your shoes 20 years ago. DO NOT. i repeat DO NOT get a ht if you are looking to go econo.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but consider this:

you feel isolated due to premature hair loss.. you wear a hat a lot... BUT at least if you get in a situation where you need to attend a function sans hat... the worst? your a young bald guy. sucks.. but not the end of the world.

You spend 3k on a cheapo transplant and you will be married to that hat. if you need to attend a function/ situation, etc where you cannot wear your hat.. you will be a plug freak. a laughing stock. your 2 choices will be humiliation, or just not going out at all. I know that's harsh, but son, thats the way it is. i lived it for 5 years.

If you don't have the $$ now to do it right, do NOT DO IT AT ALL.

as i have stated many times looking back at my own past. being bald in my early 20's sucked... but being "that guy with the plugs"... well that was almost put me 6 feet under!

shave your head clean, get some cool yellow tinted specs, work out and wear tight t shirts. You will be the "cool dude". chicks will dig it. you will have an aura about you.

get a wig? have a $3k row of dots across your forhead? PLEASE, don't even go there. once that 15 blade sinks into your scalp.. there is no going back. period.

think this one over long and hard my friend. there is NO FREE LUNCH!

Dalew ,

Thats great advice , I hope Devian listens to it !! In the words of Dr Rassman who said to me quote " A GOOD DECISION TODAY IS A GOOD DECISION TOMORROW" Sums it up !

ej

Thanks alot for advices, it's really appreciated. I think it's really hard to think and imagine the feelings of someone who started losing hairs this early. I really used to look good back in the days when i was 17-18. I used to hangout with friends all day and I was probably the most outgoing guy in all my friends. But then the hell days started. Even though it's ok in winter because winter hat really does a great job but in spring and summer it's really hard. When ever I look at mirror I feel that I am a completely different guy. When I see people with great hairs, I ask myself why it had to happen to me? It's not like I prayed for that or I caused it myself. The complex is really huge because I know how I used to look and how I look now.

Btw, I think getting a HT at this is age is kind of ok and probably better in some ways(correct me if I am wrong). Because a guy who needs only 1000 grafts for example, would not have to pay too much, and later on if he loses more hairs, then he can just have one more ht. But if a guy who has lost all his hairs, he would have to pay too much and even then it would be too hard for him to completely recover his hairs.

Anyways, I have set myself a goal. I decided to get ht in feb 2010. Two days ago, I moved to my parents place, by this way I would cut my expenses in to half. I ll get one more job in summer. I am sure I would be able to save around 7-8k by the end of this year. Since winter wont be hard with hat and it wont be the hell time lol. I think if I get my ht in feb, then I ll have my hairs grown till spring or summer . I can't stop thinking of my future, I am sure that would be a new life for me. Wish me good luck, I hope I wont lose my motivation.

Thanks for reading.

devian--- i understand 100% how you feel... hairloss started hitting me at about 20. by 21 i was combing my hair foward and longer.. wearing hats everywhere.. i was a great looking guy and saw my looks being impacted by this... i was horribly depressed ect ect... this is the case with ALOT of us. you are not alone... i rushed into a HT and as a result i made what was probably the wrong choice becase i now have issues ON TOP of just my hairloss that will continue to progress........

look, im not saying you should not get a HT.. what i am saying is if you do YOU CANNOT GO CHEAP AND YOU CANNOT SETTLE FOR JUST ANY DOCTOR... i am saying that you REALLY need to know the differences in FUE vs strip. and know what limites FUE.... you need to know that ONCE you take this leap into the HT world you cannot look back..AND YOU NEED TO KNOW THAT YOU GETTING A HT AT 21 YEARS OLD AND PLENTY HAIR LEFT TO LOSE, IS NOT AT ALL THE SAME AS A 35 YEAR OLD WITH MORE ADVANCED HAIRLOSS.. its not the same man. you will have to adapt and more than likely require more procedures in the future.. hairloss is progressive and it has NO CURE.... know that you WILL have scarring regardless of if you choose FUE or strip... and if you ever elect to shave your head because your hairloss becomes to great to 'fix' the scarring WILL be visible

this is a very important decision man.... its a decision that will shape alot of you future. i promise you.... if you do not have the money to go with a proven dr then DONT DO THIS YET... if your not willing to UNDERSTAND THAT YOU WILL NEVER HAVE ALL YOUR HAIR BACK THEN PLEASE DONT DO THIS YET... hts will not cure your hairloss.. A GOOD HT will only help mask your current situation.

i know how damaging hairloss can be at a young age my friend... so if your gonna do this PLEASE know what your getting into.... set up a LONG TERM GAMPLAN PLEASE... consider that you will more than likely lose more hair and require more work if you wish to have hair, and know that if that happens there is NOTHING avaliable today that can give you back your same hair density... our donor is just to limited....... if your not on meds try them for a while.

i wish you the best man, i know what your going through i mean i REALLY KNOW... many of us do...

*** RESULTS WILL 100%, without a DOUBT, VARY***

deviansaliva:

stage 2 (norwood 2) does not sound so bad

please post some pics so we can assess and provide opinion.

i also agree that you should try medication first, try proscar preferably since it is the same as propecia but cheaper.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

I would highly recommend at least buzzing your hair short to see what it looks like. You may find you look good and this takes away alot of anxiety about balding. There are plenty of young guys who look great with shaved heads provided they stay in shape, dress well etc. I had a HT done and while I feel I definitely look better now I sometimes wonder if all the worry about future loss, financial problems and such is worth it, if I could go back I might say screw it and just shave my head because like someone said once you have one HT you are committed for life.

Also any Dr with any ethics at all would not operate on you unless you had been on meds (propecia, rogaine) for at least 6 months. If you decide to have a HT you will need to be on these for life that is something to take into account.

• 3 years later...

lol I can't believe I was that desperate in 2009. I started taking propecia and minoxodil in 2010, I took a break many times from those medicines because of their side effects, especially minoxidil. But now I think my temples are quite filled and hairs look quite thick.

The only issue is hairline. I want to lower it at least one inch more and I think that won't be asking for too many grafts.

I posted some pics just to show the improvements in 2 years. Apparently hairline shows no improvement at all. Those hairs, on new pic, are just some long hairs that are covering the hairline and giving it a fuller appearance. Pics aren't of best quality, but I will post more pics today or tomorrow.

5b32d66cd6c31_before1.JPG.d773643671e2483caa84c61e7794308b.JPG

before.JPG.2ea745b16d0882abef637f258a45e500.JPG

new.jpg.cc9ed5d0f068dafadc4bd0baedb7a3ec.jpg

lol I can't believe I was that desperate in 2009. I started taking propecia and minoxodil in 2010, I took a break many times from those medicines because of their side effects, especially minoxidil. But now I think my temples are quite filled and hairs look quite thick.

The only issue is hairline. I want to lower it at least one inch more and I think that won't be asking for too many grafts.

I posted some pics just to show the improvements in 2 years. Apparently hairline shows no improvement at all. Those hairs, on new pic, are just some long hairs that are covering the hairline and giving it a fuller appearance. Pics aren't of best quality, but I will post more pics today or tomorrow.

Your hairline is perfectly placed. Don't lower it! Many guys have done that and really lived to regret it.

I can see your temples have recessed a little and filling in those is the only thing you might consider. But seriously, your hair is still in really good shape!

Just keep up the meds and set some money aside and re-evalute when you hit 30.

It may be worth going to see a reputable surgeon to have a look for areas that might be thinning.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day