FUT Reccomendation: Bloxham vs Wong

5 minutes ago, Hair4Days said:

If you could get 6/7k fue grafts from your scalp plus 1500-2000 beard then i wouldn’t even bother with fut at this point. I used to feel fut was the better option for advanced hair loss but that scar could be devastating. Especially if your wear your hair short 

Completely agree 

On 9/9/2022 at 11:55 PM, mister_25 said:

Dr Wong has excellent results and donor management on Norwood 6 patients. As mentioned above he is highly skilled in both FUt and FUe meaning he will give good judgement on what you could use.

Yeah gotta trust the experts on this and if they have the ability to do both they'll give an honest assessment on what's best for the individual.  That's a great point thanks!

On 9/11/2022 at 2:38 PM, Tiger2050 said:

OP I would also consider getting a consultation with Hasson. The clinic allows you to choose between Hasson or Wong, both are great at FUT but Hasson has more cases doing FUT mega sessions than just about any surgeon in the world. 

I didn't realize I could get a consultation with both.  I'll definitely look into that thanks.  Always good to hear everyone's opinion.

On 9/11/2022 at 5:53 AM, TommyLucchese said:

What i like about Hattingen is they offer both and go with the method that suits the individual's case. This makes it an unbiased opinion.

A clinic that only does one type of surgery will not recommend you going somewhere else that offers the other method. 

To the point of the thread: if you want FUT, I don't think you can go wrong with either of them. Wong is obviously much more experienced but Bloxham has been around for a while now and the transparency on his youtube channel is great. 

From what I hear, Wong will suggest either FUT or FUE depending on the case so that's obviously a plus.

You reasoning for choosing FUT makes sense. I can't speak for other people but my scar has been a complete non issue over the last 10 years. 

Thanks for the breakdown.  Yeah I don't think I can go wrong with either surgeon but somehow that makes the decison harder haha.  But I'm glad to hear the scar isn't that big of a deal for the ppl that went the FUT route. 

11 hours ago, Everyday_Platypus said:

Thanks for the breakdown.  Yeah I don't think I can go wrong with either surgeon but somehow that makes the decison harder haha.  But I'm glad to hear the scar isn't that big of a deal for the ppl that went the FUT route. 

I think at that point (when comparing legitimate top quality clinics) it's safe to consider the things we normally say not to consider: cost and location. If you're in NYC it would be a lot easier to go with Bloxham.

Actually one other factor is Wong's stellar reputation for crown work. If you want work done on the crown then that would tip it to Wong's favour for me.

Good luck, either way it's very likely to be a great result!

• Like 1

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

On 9/11/2022 at 1:05 PM, sunsurfhair said:

Look at everything they are doing in Europe. Who is doing FUT anymore? FUE in the right hands is the superior method. I have no agenda here. The advantage of FUT was the potential for slightly more grafts. But you also lose the ability to cherry pick grafts vs being constrained to what’s on the strip. I’m just saying it truly looks like FUT is on the way out.

You’re lucky you have a good scar and I’m happy for you, others go through a really rough time with it and like I said, if things go south, I wouldn’t want to be stuck with a huge smile scar on the back of my head. That’s my own preference sorry. I’ve seen some horror stories w scars first hand. 

Also, the ability to use beard, body hair grafts has come a long way. Look at Melvin for example and Eugenix. Incredible result so far. FUT is most certainly on the way out. Look at Rolandas. All FUE and one of the best results I’ve ever seen considering his loss. 

Just because people are doing one more than the other, doesn't mean one is better. For starters, clinics can charge more for FUE, so there's a profit-incentive. 

The best docs in the world, e.g. Konior, who is an absolute expert at both, still offers both and says that they both have their place. And you will still maximise grafts by starting FUT

I've also seen some nightmarish FUE donors, where it looks absolutely torn to shreds even at a 2 guard. 

They are on par, the best option is simply what your surgeon is better at, and the one that caters to your hair length.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, HelpfulFriend said:

Just because people are doing one more than the other, doesn't mean one is better. For starters, clinics can charge more for FUE, so there's a profit-incentive. 

The best docs in the world, e.g. Konior, who is an absolute expert at both, still offers both and says that they both have their place. And you will still maximise grafts by starting FUT

I've also seen some nightmarish FUE donors, where it looks absolutely torn to shreds even at a 2 guard. 

They are on par, the best option is simply what your surgeon is better at, and the one that caters to your hair length.

I agree it absolutely boils down to the surgeon which is the most important piece. That’s why it’s critical to go to someone very good. Overall though, I still feel strongly FUT is on the way out and will not be utilized at all or rarely in the near future. I could’ve sworn I had read somewhere that even H&W had made a statement they are moving away from FUT but I could be wrong.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/9/2022 at 9:23 PM, Tiger2050 said:

Yes, Feller was a dinosaur who trained Bloxham and promoted a lot of anti-FUE propaganda because his clinic is not good at it. Most of the top doctors who are excellent at both FUE and FUT (H&W, Bisanga, Konior, Shapiro, etc) agree you get a few more lifetime grafts doing FUT first. However, Feller and Bloxham have a bunch of YouTube videos saying you get poor growth from FUE grafts which is not true when FUE is done properly, the growth is equally good compared to FUT.

True , Just want to add that According to my consultation with DR.Shapiro you can also do FUE first and for second or even third Surgery you can also consider FUT ( depends on your donor) 

Melvin had a interview with DR.Ron Shapiro he also mentioned this point as well that you can do FUE first and then combined it with FUT later on to maximize your donor , It may varies between 1500-3000 according to study ( So its more than few grafts ). 

My understanding is that FUT only produces significantly more lifetime grafts IF and only if you have a high degree of scalp laxity. Even if you don't I think it probably does produce SOME greater amount of lifetime grafts, but not a significant margin.

To me it isn't so much the scar but the increased recovery time and pain that makes me shy away from FUT

On 9/9/2022 at 11:50 PM, Tiger2050 said:

Wong has a much stronger reputation and has been doing surgery for a very long time. Bloxham seems like a decent surgeon but he’s pretty new and I don’t like the misinformation he promotes on his YouTube channel about FUE being the devil. All of the anti-FUE propaganda Bloxham spreads is because he’s not good at FUE.Get an evaluation from a surgeon who is great at both FUE and FUT like Wong, Konior or Shapiro.

Bloxham also gives monster scars that he hides well in his videos. He’s a family medicine physician doing surgeries. Would you let your family doctor do a surgery on you? F$ck no. I also think a lot of his videos are enhanced and photoshopped to be perfectly honest. 

2 hours ago, sunsurfhair said:

Bloxham also gives monster scars that he hides well in his videos. He’s a family medicine physician doing surgeries. Would you let your family doctor do a surgery on you? F$ck no. I also think a lot of his videos are enhanced and photoshopped to be perfectly honest. 

Not trying to defend Bloxham here  by any mean  but to be fair many well-known  hair transplant doctors are MD and they do have the board of certificate for hair transplant , I agree though  his post op doesn't looks that much clean as other top notch doctors are.

Edited by parsia
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/10/2022 at 1:07 PM, sunsurfhair said:

He's an internal medicine doctor, at least get your facts straight lol 

On 10/10/2022 at 1:07 PM, sunsurfhair said:

And what is Wong’s background training . Or Hassons for that matter.  Or Shapiro , or Josephitis.

I will wait for your answer lol.

Edited by shiba1985
  • Face Palm 1

15 hours ago, shiba1985 said:

And what is Wong’s background training . Or Hassons for that matter.  Or Shapiro , or Josephitis.

I will wait for your answer lol.

Why don’t you go to their websites and look them up? Far more extensive then Bloxham. 

Irrelevant to me - I went with Konior who is a trained head and neck surgeon (otolaryngology) and continuously contributes to the hair transplantation section in the otolaryngology medical books.  

Call it personal preference but I feel more comfortable with a trained surgeon vs an internist. 

On 10/10/2022 at 8:44 AM, parsia said:

True , Just want to add that According to my consultation with DR.Shapiro you can also do FUE first and for second or even third Surgery you can also consider FUT ( depends on your donor) 

Melvin had a interview with DR.Ron Shapiro he also mentioned this point as well that you can do FUE first and then combined it with FUT later on to maximize your donor , It may varies between 1500-3000 according to study ( So its more than few grafts ). 

Thanks for sharing. Dr Muresanu from Hattingen told me this on a video consultation too because he recommended I have a smaller FUE on my crown to save my laxity for a large FUT down the line if it's needed. I trust his judgement but hadn't heard anyone else say it, so it's good to see other top doctors feel this way too.

• Like 1

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

@Everyday_Platypus - back to the original question. I can't really comment on Dr. Wong because I haven't gone to him - and quite frankly most of the people in this thread talking trash on Bloxham probably do not have a firsthand personal experience with him either. 

I am a Dr Bloxham patient - you can look at my thread if you would like, but I'll also give you some thoughts here. I had a very good experience with Dr. Bloxham and his team. First I did an in person consult with Dr. Bloxham about a year ahead of time and asked him all of my questions to which he was very generous in explaining his answers and thoughts. He helped me to understand what his personal approach would be with the hairline and then what I should realistically expect from that. After that, I was pretty ready to go for a few reasons:

• Dr. Bloxham has very good results - you can find them on youtube (something most doctors are not doing) and you can find them on this forum. Yes, he also has some not so great results, but you really will not find a doctor who doesn't - it is not a 100% failproof procedure. The comment made before about how Bloxham only posts his good results is ridiculous because a) yeah of course and b) so does every other doctor and any other professional in any other profession. 
  • Dr. Bloxham practices what he preaches in terms of hairline design in younger patients. He creates a very natural looking MATURE hairline which is all I personally wanted. I'm 29 - I don't want an adolescent hairline.
  • I live in NJ (you mentioned you are in NY) there are not THAT many reputable surgeons nearby and I wanted to be able to easily get home afterwards to rest in my own house not a hotel room.
  • Though he is certainly on the pricier end of the FUT world, it is still a lot less than what I would've paid for an FUE of the same quantity unless I was to nearly pay the difference to fly to Turkey. I am realistic and know that with my age and family history, this is likely to be procedure 1 of 2 or maybe 3. So if it was one procedure, maybe I'd have been more inclined to FUE - but the idea of potentially spending 40 - 50k on my own vanity lifetime was not for me personally.

I am 6 months post op now. I am incredibly happy with the result. At present I am wearing a fade up from a 2 to a 4 in the area of the scar and it cannot be seen. I do miss rocking a skin fade if I'm being honest, but I missed having a hairline more. The scar isn't even something that I think about at this point in time. I can't tell you it's meaningless to you, though. You have to consider what you will be okay with in terms of that. If you are cool with wearing your hair in the region of a #4 on the sides give or take, then the scar is not an issue. In either case FUT or FUE, if things don't work out and you decide to buzz your head you will have scarring.

So yeah, overall, can't add much about Wong though obviously we all know his results look great. But Bloxham is also very good in my opinion.

As someone who has had FUT and is about to get an FUE... DO NOT DO FUT

It's not worth it, it hurts like hell, limits your options on hairstyles; I think FUE is really the best option.

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

18 hours ago, mavigo said:

As someone who has had FUT and is about to get an FUE... DO NOT DO FUT

It's not worth it, it hurts like hell, limits your options on hairstyles; I think FUE is really the best option.

How does FUT limit hairstyles? You mean like short hair cuts?