How Do I Repair Strip Scar?

GlenB

Hi everyone,

This is my first time on this forum. I'm a 30 year old male who has had two strip scar surgeries with DHI Medical about 5-6 years ago. These procedures have had a really negative effect on my life. I have a big scar in my donor area and hair is not very thick on top. I want to improve my scar and thickness on top. I have looked into triophytic closure and FUE/FIT/CIT into the scar. I consulted with Dr. Bernstein (in person) who said there is probably not enough hair in my donor area to have another procedure. I also consulted with Dr. Cole via email and photo consult who recommended that I get CIT into the scar and crown (900 grafts in total-200 into scar, 700 into crown).

I really don't know what to do. I would be very grateful for any advice.

Sincerely,

GlenB

Hi Glen

I'm sorry to hear of the negative effect your previous work has had. Another option is scar reduction surgery. The idea with this is that subsequent to your previous surgeries some laxity should have returned around the scar so if the scar is cut out and then shut with staples or sutures it can end up being smaller than it was before.

IMO FUE (I think this is the same as CIT) into the scar should be a last option only to be used when you are sure the scar will never be re-opened for another procedure or scar revision surgery.

However, most guys on here will ask you to post some photos so that it is easier to visualise the situation and give our opinions.

Glen, Im curious how many grafts you have had done if Dr. Bernstien says you dont have enough donor left? I agree with imissthebarber in that you should only consider fue into the scar as a last resort when you know for sure you are done with procedure's.

Dr Lindsey would propably be one of the better doctors to talk to about scar options. He's always posting scar repairs and they always seem to turn out better after he's done with them.Obviously results vary! Also if you consider scar reduction the doctor can use what ever hair he cuts out of the existing scar to graft on to your head. Do alot of research because you'll get alot of opinions from different people and doctors and ultimatley you'll need to come to a decision you have to live with. Good luck!

Thanks for your responses guys,

I'm not really sure how many grafts I had done as I was quite young and naive (now I'm older and naive!) but seems to me like there is still a good bit of donor hair left. Maybe not for a strip procedure, but definitely for FUE. The problem is that I play quite a lot of sport and when it rains you can see the scar. I'm never going to have strip surgery done again. The pain the second time was unbearable!

I saw on Forhair.com a procedure where Dr. Cole implants hair into the scar to camouflage it and it looked very good. Can anyone recommend Dr. Cole or this procedure? I saw some bad reviews on him but that was a year ago. Dr. Bernstein said scar revision is not really an option I'll still be left with a naked scar albeit a smaller one.

Glen, I would never pretend to know more than a doctor and have not seen your donor area like Dr. B has, but technology has come along way and pain is almost a non fator for most people nowadays. I have heard mixed review's on Dr. Cole so I wouldnt reccommend nor advise against him. You'll have to decide for yourself. I would say that he is not the only doctor that fue's into scars though.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, I have to agree with Spex, FUE into the scars would be your best bet...I would suggest you try some BHT into the scars...start with a small test about 100 or so, if they grow you can keep adding untill your scars become less noticeable..I wish you lots of luck, and don't give up hope.

Just a thought from the peanut gallery...

GlenB:

while Dr. Bernstein is a world class doctor, i find him to be somewhat conservative. That being said, he did examine you in person. Why don't you try with Dr. Feller who is in NY region as well.

I would stay away from dr. Cole, too many controversies.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

i agree with latinlotus. bernstein is a very conservative (albeit skilled and knowledgeable) doc. feller has a more aggressive approach, and i'm speaking from experience. he is also an excellent fue doc. scar revision is an option but as spex pointed out can be risky as it can still stretch. best of luck!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Thanks everyone for your valuable replies, I was alone with this for nearly 10 years and only discovered this site. It's helpful to know there are other people out there that have gone thru similar experiences. I will contact Dr. Feller and Dr. Lyndsey. Thanks again.

Glen

Welcome to the forum, I agree it helps to know there are other people who can relate to what you have been going through.

It might be worth consulting with some other surgeons as well because sometimes one surgeon will feel you could still get some more hair via another strip. Obviously given your previous surgeries this would be more of a risk but could be worth getting a different opinion? Just a thought.

There's no silly questions!

I'd be glad to look at a pic of your scar, or better yet, come in for a visit. We do a good deal of scar work, and while we can't guarantee perfection, we can usually help things significantly.

Also, check out my blog on "the double edged sword". I would advise you to deal with EITHER the scar OR more hair. Doing both at one time can get dicey.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians