New hairline or just thicken the existing hair?

Gobrel

Hello,

I am male and 36. Over the last years my hair loss progressed and I am thinking about an hair transplation. If it is possible with my hair. Now I see many people get new hairlines and I thought maybe I could only just thicken the existing hair. Especially if the donor is not suited for more. And what also is in my mind to use body hair, I really have plenty of hair on my chest and back, really dense too. I messaged some clinics, basinga, bicer and erdogan. HM 4-5 would be great I guess.

What are your thoughts on just thickening the existing hair?

Back.JPG

Left.JPG

Right.JPG

Edited by Gobrel

• Administrators

You need the entire hairline rebuilt. You have severe hair loss. You need A LOT of grafts. If you do pursue hair transplants, understand your hair won’t be perfect and you will need multiple procedures. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I forgot the top picture. What I want is the red space to be filled and even this would satisfy me, that is what I mean with thickening the exising hair. I don't know if I have enough donor hair to build an entire new hairline especially at the front.

Top.JPG

Edited by Gobrel

It all depends on how much donor you have, and that is nearly impossible to accurately tell through pictures. You'd need an in-person consultation for that.

That being said, I think most doctors would recommend to create a conservative hairline and spend a good portion of the available donor hair in the frontal third, depicted below in blue. Then add just a low amount of density to the crown and fill in the mid scalp ever so slightly.

Having a naturally diffusely thinned looking crown but moderately dense frontal third, with a gradual transition between those two, can be a good look, given the resources.

It's still going to be advisable to use finasteride to ensure the used donor hair doesn't thin out further, and if you're lucky thicken up the existing partially miniaturized areas a little bit.

After surgery you'll also likely have to wear the sides and back of the hair a bit longer to mask the extractions well.

Another option is to do a combined FUE and FUT to extract the maximum possible amount of donor hairs, but again only in an in-person consultation can a doctor assess whether that's an option for you.

image.png.6aab5d98a3a8b1060b0abc52d25a9675.png

Edited by alopeciaphobia
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Gobrel said:

I forgot the top picture. What I want is the red space to be filled and even this would satisfy me, that is what I mean with thickening the exising hair. I don't know if I have enough donor hair to build an entire new hairline especially at the front.

Top.JPG

I see what you mean you want to look like a receded nw3 like Jude law

It also seems you’re a nw6 and not progressing to nw7 or at least will do slowly. 

I think what you’re asking should be achievable for any good doc easily. However those miniaturised hairs might not make it after HT due to shockloss

The doctor probably will have a better idea. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LookMaxx said:

I think what you’re asking should be achievable for any good doc easily. However those miniaturised hairs might not make it after HT due to shockloss

Good point. To reduce the extent of that happening, best would be to be on finasteride for 10-12 months before the procedure so those hairs get stronger. Which is what I think a lot of doctors would recommend.

• Like 1

i think the usual doc work like alopecia's blue marker would be good.

you don't need to move the NW forward, but strengthening it seems like a good idea, since the problem is with the already miniaturised hair, is that they might get a permanent shock loss.

to be honest i have little regret regarding strengthening my scalp, because of the uncertainty it bring. if it works, a great thing to look forward to. but the risk of actually killing the already weak hair does give me a scare.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LookMaxx said:

I see what you mean you want to look like a receded nw3 like Jude law

It also seems you’re a nw6 and not progressing to nw7 or at least will do slowly. 

The doctor probably will have a better idea. 

Getting to nw 4 already would be enough for me. :)

Which part of my head do you mean with minituarised hair? The top?

4 hours ago, alopeciaphobia said:

Good point. To reduce the extent of that happening, best would be to be on finasteride for 10-12 months before the procedure so those hairs get stronger. Which is what I think a lot of doctors would recommend.

I really fear the side effects of this drug and can't decide if I should give it a try. A friend recommended me Minoxidil foam, I will give it a try.

The blue line looks quite good. Since I got plenty of body hair, and I really mean plenty like a bear, there should be enough to cover the parts below the blue line I guess.

Edited by Gobrel

1 hour ago, ML488 said:

Hard to say without actually seeing and measuring the scalp, but it looks like ballpark 3000 for frontal third, 2500 for midscalp and crown.

I have an in person conultation with basinga in brussels in one month. When he says HT is possible I will only focus on the frontal third. When it is dark outside it looks ok on the front, but in the sun it is like there is nothing. If I can get that to NH4 it would be great.

Are there any visible marks on the transplanted place when someone with a HT decides after years to shave his head?

Edited by Gobrel

9 minutes ago, Gobrel said:

I have an in person conultation with basinga in brussels in one month. When he says HT is possible I will only focus on the frontal third. When it is dark outside it looks ok on the front, but in the sun it is like there is nothing. If I can get that to NH4 it would be great.

Are there any visible marks on the transplanted place when someone with a HT decides after years to shave his head?

Nice why not go for full head of hair with bisinga , he can make it happen with beard hair. 

I understand being conservative but bisinga is world class and he can do wonders 😁

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LookMaxx said:

Nice why not go for full head of hair with bisinga , he can make it happen with beard hair. 

I understand being conservative but bisinga is world class and he can do wonders 😁

I am far from an expert. But my donor looks not like it will make 3000 grafts thus I would look for the front third. I guess the missing parts should come from body hair. I really would prefer hair from my back, I really want to get rid of most of them. You can't imagine how much hair I got on my back.:D

Any chance you know how much bisinga charges per graft?

Edited by Gobrel

1 hour ago, Gatsby said:

I would forget about body hair and be looking at beard hair as a secondary source as a donor supply. Body hair has a much shorter anagen phase than beard hair as beard hair does to scalp hair. How is your beard?

My focus on the body hair especially my back was because I want to get rid of it as much as I can, I hate it.:)

I attached a picture of my beard, I shave the hair on the throat most of the time and wear a beard on my cheek.

Regarding a doctor I will focus in Dr. Bicer and Dr. Gur and Turan because I saw there some high norwood work. Nevertheless I will visit Basinga and check what will it cost for me since there I can travel by car.

Foto 30.08.22, 12 37 59.jpg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

The clinic that is the king of using beard hair is Eugenix. All the best!

Eugenix is too far away for me. Since I also can speak turkish Bicer or Gur are one my list.

• Thanks 1

Greetings of the day, @Gobrel,

You looks like NW3V and the hairloss is severe. I will suggest you to start Finasteride 1mg. I think you will needing a hair transplant to rebuild the entire hairline. 
Your beard looks good, it can be used in a way to provide you maximum density plus to camouflage the partial area. Just do your research properly and choose a clinic which best fits your need. 
Don't be in a rush, The best candidate is the one who does the research and consult with different surgeons on graft estimates and the approach. Some give it a decade and then chose a clinic. The more knowledge you get, the more question you will have to ask your surgeon. 

Invest in your hairs, You wear it everyday

If you want an evaluation done and speak to our counsellors, feel free to send me a personalized text and I will be happy to assist you. 

Regards,

Eugenix Hair Sciences.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Gobrel said:

Eugenix is too far away for me. Since I also can speak turkish Bicer or Gur are one my list.

Good things take time and extra effort. Consult with Bicer and Bisanga if India is far from you. 

Just a suggestion, I also stay in USA, went to India for my own surgery, You will get a good deal, consult with Eugenix. Plus there are very limited clinics who can use body grafts nicely. Consult at least 5-6 and then opt one of them. 

• Like 2

Distance should never be a factor when considering a clinic. For BHT, there are very few clinics that know how to do it right. Eugenix and Bisanga are the 2 that are the top in the world for BHT. Don't settle for anything less. Put yourself first, not your conveniences. Your end result will make it all worth it!

Follow my Journey with Eugenix and Dr Arika Bansal!

Edited by MazAB
  • Like 2

• Valued Contributor
3 hours ago, MazAB said:

Distance should never be a factor when considering a clinic. For BHT, there are very few clinics that know how to do it right. Eugenix and Bisanga are the 2 that are the top in the world for BHT. Don't settle for anything less. Put yourself first, not your conveniences. Your end result will make it all worth it!

Follow my Journey with Eugenix and Dr Arika Bansal!

This ^ Sage advice as always Armen. 👌

• Like 3

If I was in your position I think I would do FUT…with a long strip to get as many grafts as possible first round. Then once that suture closes up go back for an FUE and SMP the linear scar once healed.
For example: If I had konior money I would get multiple FUT procedures without the smp. A lot of the linear scars I have seen, from his practice, even for big, FUT, procedures look like nothing was done.

based off the photos which are not always a perfectly accurate measure, I would think you have average maybe even poor donor. It might be the color but there seems like there are some gaps above your ears in the sides. I’m not an expert but I would explore as many options prior to consulting and having them (surgeons) give you their feedback. 

it’s better to exhaust all options before doing anything surgical or anything that is too late to reverse.

• Like 1

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

• 3 months later...

I consulted 3 doctors, Dr. Bisanga in Belgium, Dr. Bicer in Turkey and Dr. Gür also in Turkey. The pricing is quite different, 4€, 2.5€ and 1.5€ per graft. I think I will get my HT done with Dr Gür.

Edited by Gobrel