TRANSPLANT DENSITY COMPARED TO NATIVE HAIR DENSITY

Hi All, 

Was just wondering if there are any Dr’s or procedures ongoing currently where they are able to get as close to native hair as possible? What’s the boundary to push with the amounts of grafts per Cm2?

A lot of transplants seem leave a lot of space on the scalp and only give the impression of losing hair (thinning) anyway as the scalp looks thin & see through.

I know we have to be aware of the expectations with these HT’s but I would like my next transplant to provide me with aa dense as possible hairline. Any comments/feedback would be really appreciated as always 😊 

usual density of native hair is around 80g/cm2 

how much you can get with a transplant depends on the thickness of your hair, e.g if your hair is very thick its much harder to implant a lot of them alltogether compared to thin hair but in this case you also get increased coverage with fewer hair , I guess top doctors would be able to get a density around 50-55 safely with 1 procedure and around 70 with a touchup, always depending on hair thickness. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

There will always be a disparity between native and transplanted density. Especially if you cut your hair really short.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Depends on the patient.  If you want to become a dense NW2 or NW1 and are starting at NW6, that's not possible because you have a finite amount of donor hair.  If you look at FUE3361's result, it's pretty clear his hairline is denser than the good majority of guys walking around (even guys without hair loss).  Now, if you're talking about achieving the same density and height that you had before your hairline even matured at all - comparable to what you had at 18 - it's debatable whether that's achievable with one surgery, but even that is dependent upon how dense your hair was to begin with and how much loss you've experienced.  Contrary to what was said earlier in this thread, the average male frontal hairline is not 80 FU/cm^2 - even amongst men without any signs of hair loss - it's closer to 50 FU/cm^2 if we're talking about average.  80 FU/cm^2 is at the very high end of the spectrum in terms of density for the hairline.  The donor region tends to be meaningfully denser than the hairline area, so if you're talking about achieving a hairline that's as dense as your donor - which I don't think anyone is ever talking about - that's probably not doable. 

As far as what "most" docs pack, I don't think there is a "most."  How densely a doc needs to pack a hairline or can pack a hairline is dependent on the degree of loss, the hairline desired, and the thickness of the patients hair.  Generally, it seems 65 FU/cm^2 seems to be the the upper end of what docs will do, with 50-60 FU/cm^2 being quite dense.  Anything below 40 FU/cm^2 pretty much seems to fail to make the cut.

Edited by John1991
  • Like 1

Getting close to native hair density depends on where you start from and if you are starting at Norwood 3 or lower, then there's a good chance if your hair loss is ground to a halt, you can potentially afford to expend that many grafts, but if you do end up doing it and lose hair, there's a chance it could make if much more difficult to fill in anywhere close to behind and that you may have to potentially deal with a more bald crown. 

• Like 1

My transplanted density was around 75-80 fu/cm2.  At least when self counted.  Now, I have no idea what survival rate was and what end result density was, because I’d have to buzz cut my hair to find out, but I can confidently say that I had a good result.

My measured native density though was 96 fu/cm2.  So the transplant wasn’t quite the same as native.

• Like 1

Check out my journey here:

Imo going over the standard 40-50 grafts/cm in one go is risky. My previous doctor attempted 55 grafts/cm with me and my survival was not good. Of course he likely messed up other aspects of the surgery because he runs a mill style clinic.

with that being said, if you want high density then you should stagger it over a couple surgeries to give you the best chance at success. Hell, you might be happy with the initial density according to your current loss, hoe you style your hair, and yield from your surgery 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Technically it's doable, usually over 2 or 3 sessions, but is it the smart or right ting to do? You aren't adding any more hair. You are just moving it around. You take it from one area and place it into another. You are just thinning out one area to thicken another. If you don't have much hair loss then you can do it, but what happens if you lose more hair? It's a very tricky game that can have some very bad consequences.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators
17 hours ago, Fue3361 said:

My transplanted density was around 75-80 fu/cm2.  At least when self counted.  Now, I have no idea what survival rate was and what end result density was, because I’d have to buzz cut my hair to find out, but I can confidently say that I had a good result.

My measured native density though was 96 fu/cm2.  So the transplant wasn’t quite the same as native.

Good example, even with minimal hair loss, excellent growth and a dense-packed hairline. The density still isn’t the same.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.