Dr. Cooley 2500 Grafts FUT: July 25 2022

Jim478

On 1/23/2023 at 4:39 PM, davidk said:

How long after a hair transplant can I expect my hair to look "normal." That is not to say, the new hair has grown in, but just how long until I get to a point where things like redness/scaring/pimples have mostly disappeared. I am supposed to be in a friend's wedding in 6 months and I am wondering if it might be wise to wait until after that before getting a transplant. I am excited to get a transplant, but I am also ok waiting if there is a risk I won't really be "photo ready" in 6 months. 

13 minutes ago, Jim478 said:

Filling the temple points has narrowed the forehead.  This has been a pleasant surprise in the overall aesthetic of the procedure. 

Ah nice, yes it's made a huge comsetic difference if im honest...going to save this as my before bit is the same as yours, want to get them done.

How many grafts were used and from where were they taken do you know?

I paid for 2500,  it ended up being close to 2800 from the strip.  I don’t know how many exactly were used in the temple points.   They used the finest singles for the temple points.   

I did have some shock loss on the one temple as you can see in a previous picture.  But it has grown back and filled in.   I am very happy with the results. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jim478 said:

6.5 months.  

Hair is filling in.   I am able to wear my hair off the forehead for the first time ever.  Scar is undetectable at a 4 guard haircut.  The new hair is blending in well.    Not perfect yet,  but I am enjoying this period.  CF78292B-29F4-4AB4-BBC0-7B3379F9C914.thumb.jpeg.085798bc51a1f0d06016c2cabcc46f64.jpeg85EAFC88-9824-4ECD-A9D3-760387D82E97.thumb.jpeg.50b773702a384deded4858f757393bc2.jpeg5A32689A-5E59-4ED5-A9AE-904392172722.thumb.jpeg.efcddedadfb3f4c7ce021e49b7e6612f.jpeg

Oh yeah…look at you go! Best part about this and your progress is you don’t have to watch your hairline go away anymore. Good for you Jim, like the progress. You want to see some increased thickness…put oral minoxidil 2.5mg daily before bed into your regimen. Can testify to its effectiveness.  Regardless, looking forward to your 8 mo, 10mo, and 12mo updates! Excellent thread. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HHH said:

Just curious- have you noticed any cardiovascular effects, and has your overall hair quality improved?

Also did you go to a doctor to get checks before?

I’m thinking you meant this post for me logically following the context of this thread.  I’ll reply but don’t want to hijack Jim’s thread. 

I have not noticed any irregular heart beats or increased heart rate. I have noticed a little light headed feelings here and there. My blood pressure is fine and I get two physicals a year and nothing has been found with heart or blood tests. One day I think I noticed a sharper type pain in the center of my chest and felt it in my back, and I thought well maybe it’s the oral Min. But, I had been at the gym stretching a few days earlier and felt a cavitation in the mid part of my spine while stretching that caused a little spasm. Then two days later the pain described. It went away and haven’t felt it since. So I think it was that. Otherwise, approaching the 4 month mark soon which will be the 14th of Feb I’ve noticed some decreased fallout when shampooing or brushing a comb through the hair. My crown seems like it may be a bit coarser or thicker, same with mid scalp but hairline looks the same thus far. People say a good 12 months is needed to assess effectiveness and to make a decision about continuing oral treatment for the effective timeframe that minoxidil may continue to work…which most say if it does work then you could get 6-8 years of use before effectiveness declines. But that’s just from forum and Google searches🤷‍♂️

Edited by Jayson1361
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Jayson1361 said:

I’m thinking you meant this post for me logically following the context of this thread.  I’ll reply but don’t want to hijack Jim’s thread. 

I have not noticed any irregular heart beats or increased heart rate. I have noticed a little light headed feelings here and there. My blood pressure is fine and I get two physicals a year and nothing has been found with heart or blood tests. One day I think I noticed a sharper type pain in the center of my chest and felt it in my back, and I thought well maybe it’s the oral Min. But, I had been at the gym stretching a few days earlier and felt a cavitation in the mid part of my spine while stretching that caused a little spasm. Then two days later the pain described. It went away and haven’t felt it since. So I think it was that. Otherwise, approaching the 4 month mark soon which will be the 14th of Feb I’ve noticed some decreased fallout when shampooing or brushing a comb through the hair. My crown seems like it may be a bit coarser or thicker, same with mid scalp but hairline looks the same thus far. People say a good 12 months is needed to assess effectiveness and to make a decision about continuing oral treatment for the effective timeframe that minoxidil may continue to work…which most say if it does work then you could get 6-8 years of use before effectiveness declines. But that’s just from forum and Google searches🤷‍♂️

Ah ok, thanks for the in depth review! I have bought some but scared to use it at the moment!

41 minutes ago, HHH said:

Ah ok, thanks for the in depth review! I have bought some but scared to use it at the moment!

It’s effective on some level for most people, I’d bet. I’m not in the medical field but after using it for almost 4 months I bet most people get at least some positive reaction to it. I did the same, bought some and kept it around for a bit before trying it. Looking back the apprehension to trying it was just something I created in my head from reading about it, obviously. Side effects seem to pretty rare or just so mild they’re not noticeable. Sometimes I would feel flushed I think. Face gets flushed, skin maybe too but then it goes away. Hard to say really if it’s Min or just time of day after a workout maybe 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

7.5 months.   Just doing a before and after comparison.   I am not to the point where I don’t even think about my hair.   This has been a great experience and I am very happy with the result.  5632DA5E-EDC4-434D-B803-EED13701E249.thumb.jpeg.bb3114e78d51834d60eb1699328f5b3a.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 3/8/2023 at 2:52 PM, Jim478 said:

7.5 months.   Just doing a before and after comparison.   I am not to the point where I don’t even think about my hair.   This has been a great experience and I am very happy with the result.  5632DA5E-EDC4-434D-B803-EED13701E249.thumb.jpeg.bb3114e78d51834d60eb1699328f5b3a.jpeg

Any new updates?

10 months.   

There has not been much noticeable change.   I don’t really think about it anymore.  The only think I am conscious of is avoiding sunburn,  so I spray the hairline when I am outside.  The second pic isn’t really how I wear it,  but I wanted to show the hairline.   These aren’t the best pictures,  I just snapped a couple for this post. IMG_6423.thumb.jpeg.0eabea8c116ae27e12e5fd3e12958cbb.jpegIMG_6422.jpeg.f374f79edfc062ab8d02e2ae143f747f.jpeg

• Administrators

What a difference, even with wet hair

E23906E0-891D-4AA8-AA5A-438FF145142C.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 2 months later...

1 year update.   It has been one year since my 2500 graft fut with Dr. Cooley.  I am able to get my hair cut with a 3 on the side and the fut scar is not visible.  I do not worry about wind,  or rain,  or getting wet in the pool.   It is not perfect,  but I am pretty darn happy with the results.  15 months on finasteride, which I take 3x per week.   No sides,  and I do not shed on my pillow,  or when washing, or when I style my hair.   That was a big issue over the last couple years.  

I just met up with some old friends this past weekend,  and they noticed:  “look at this guy,  45 years old and showing off that hairline.”  Everyone else was wearing hats and covering up some kind of balding.  (And I am only 41,  but wanted to use the correct quote.)  I have received many compliments the last few months,  although I’ve only told a few close friends.   People just think my hair looks good.  

I recently found my second grade yearbook photo and I have a better hairline at 41 than I had at 8.  I covered it up for the next 25 years or so.  

Thanks to this site for all the information that pointed me in the right direction.  I’ve included some pictures under pretty harsh light.   I think it looks even better under normal circumstances.    

Large 8 year old forehead.  

IMG_7239.jpeg.fa20015beedb861e7a0d0c12a5798f2d.jpeg

1 year since surgery:

IMG_7237.thumb.jpeg.924806ad22773f452d0e5f0cff66fd40.jpegIMG_7238.thumb.jpeg.be7c2009c5d21e4bcfd58e7d83ec11cd.jpeg

On 7/26/2022 at 1:28 PM, Jim478 said:

July 26, 2022:  Day 1.

I am relaxing in the hotel,  spraying the grafts with ATP spray every hour.  

I included a photo from directly after the surgery and photos from today.  (1 day after surgery.  There is a little shine from the spray.    The donor area is a bit tender,  but not really painful.   I have only taken ibuprofen since surgery.  

Photo after surgery. 

E8C4FA48-011B-4EA9-A007-51883DD1A73B.jpeg.4512865bfc205563c76135d98417022d.jpeg

The next day,  not quite 24 hours. 
69244D09-83E0-4060-9B66-F64CD237A0A0.jpeg.a4c17fd39b0df4dad0d3da535df28974.jpeg

0CAA45F6-B09B-44D6-96BB-9A325D2BC4CE.jpeg.59ce7fa10b1d570f923c00a7b003854a.jpeg

Everything has been great so far,  and I am very appreciative of this site for helping to make a great choice on a doctor. 

It does look great. 

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

Fantastic results from Dr. Cooley 

BE842BC0-8A87-46D9-AA89-A37B68F6FD8F.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.