Nizoral-how many times a week do you use it?

i use it 2x per week.

every Monday and every Thursday.

i used to use it almost every day at the beginning before i got on any real meds (minox & fin).

it helped me a lot in slowing down or stopping my hairloss while using it every day. donno could be coincidence but i'm not so sure. i believe that nizoral helped stopping my rapid hairloss.

so if you use minox 2x per day like i do.... then yes use it 2x per week.

if no minox then i'd say every other day and use moisturizing shampoo in between (dove - daily moisture).

see i wash my hair every day and things are looking great so far.

but for how long...... now that would be $64 dollar question.

combo of nizoral 2x/week, minox 2x/day, and proscar 1.25/day is doing wonders for me and i just hope that it stays that way for a very long long time.

hope this helps.

cheers bruv

Uk_lad,

If its the 100ml bottle then 20mg would make it 2%.

Also, if you bought it here in the the UK - The 2% version is called Nizoral, it is only available from behind the counter in a chemist/pharmacy, the 1% version is called Nizorelle and can be found on the shelves in any supermarket/chemist.

P.S. If looking for Nizorelle (the 1% version of Nizoral) - in the supermarket, it will be in the aisle containing cold medicine ect, not the shampoo aisle.

in Canada the only nizoral we have is 2%. that 1% is non-existing thing up here. no prescription is necessary for 2% here.

so when i was referring to nizoral above i was referring to 2% kind.

some people say 2% is too harsh or that it might do more harm than good, but i did not have any issues with it while i was using it almost every day for about 1.5 years.

i respect the fact that people warn other people about those "issues" just to be on safe side.

so adjust your needs accordingly icon_smile.gif

Just incase there is any confusing, you don't need a prescription for Nizoral 2% here in the UK, but you won't find it on the stores shelves, it is held behind the counter and you need to ask for it. (in a chemist/pharmacy)

that's interesting Maxxy.

here it's on the same shelf with other regular shampoos, though grouped with other mediceded shampoos such as nutrogina t/gel, psoriasis, polytar etc. but nontheless on the same shelf/rack as fructis, loreal, pantene Pro-V etc. not behind any counter. just grab and go icon_wink.gif

Hey Mr.GQ,

In the UK our medicated shampoo is almost always stocked in a medical aisle in supermarkets. In the chemist/pharmacy they generally have a section for medicated hair related products such as T-Gel, Nizorelle (1% Niz) and Regaine 2% (yes its regaine here, lol).

For Nizoral 2% and Regaine 5%, you don't need a prescription but you do have to get it from a chemist/pharmacy and it is always held behind the counter.

I was actually refused Nizoral 2% on my first attempt of purchase, as when I was asked "have you used it before?" I replied no, haha.

Regaine

LMAO icon_biggrin.gif

you Brits always spell and say things differently icon_smile.gif

the only thing here that is behind the counter is minoxidil 5% (it's not called Rogain 5%), propecia, proscar and other real medications. Rogain 2% original brand is however grab-and-go thing but not on the same shelves with shampoos, though close by just across the aisle.

these things are good to know when i visit London next year - you know - as i heard customs are taking nizorals from the luggage! icon_cool.gif

lol, I'd buy crap from here Mr. GQ we are charged ??30 so 53 C/$ for Regain.

And I'll give you the Rogaine - Regain but come on you lot changed colour to color and cheque to check, etc. Haha, just messing.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I started using Ketaconazole 2% (Nizoral) about 6 weeks ago (2x per week) and have noticed considerable shedding. Is this to be expected?? I'm very alarmed.

Has anyone else seen shedding with this shampoo?

Thanks.

Using Propecia since 1997

Using Rogaine Foam once a day since 2012

Using Niazoral 2% once a week since 2012

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Shy guy, are`you getting any other symptoms, such as an irritated or itchy scalp? If so, discontinue it as you may be allergic to it. If not, try stopping it and see if the shedding stops.

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

Gyys im confused about the Nizoral 1% and 2% business.

Shouldn't the dominate factor be how wet your hair is during application rather then the strength of the nizoral, due to the effect of dilution.

If 2% is too strong, could u simply dilute it by adding same amount of water as nizoral in ur palm.

Originally posted by baqu:

Gyys im confused about the Nizoral 1% and 2% business.

Shouldn't the dominate factor be how wet your hair is during application rather then the strength of the nizoral, due to the effect of dilution.

If 2% is too strong, could u simply dilute it by adding same amount of water as nizoral in ur palm.

Baqu,

That's a good point but I think it's more complicated than that. I'm guessing that ketoconazole, the active ingredient, will most likely be lipophilic (fat loving) as it needs to permeate through skin to have its effect. The skin will only let lipophilic compounds in or through and repels water or hydrophilic compounds (water loving). Therefore keto. would preferentially absorb through the scalp despite how much you dilute (within reason). You would be better of diluting 2% to 1% whilst it's in the bottle stage.

Blond.

-----------------------------

PhD (Experimental and Clinical medicine)

1.25mg Finasteride

Minoxidil 5% (EOD)

Nizoral 1% (x3/week)

Originally posted by splitting hairs:

Shy guy, are`you getting any other symptoms, such as an irritated or itchy scalp? If so, discontinue it as you may be allergic to it. If not, try stopping it and see if the shedding stops.

come to think of it my scalp was very itchy to the point i was scratching so much my head hurt. this didn't happen the first two times i used nizoral 2%.

i've been shedding for a while but the last 8 weeks the shedding has been tremendous. it could be due to a difficult personal situation i have been dealing with or even an unstable professional situation. either way, i consulted with dr. konior who saw me in december and told me i didn't have anything to worry about last december. now, 8 months later, he says i better start applying rogain to my crown due to the miniturization. it has happend that fast. he also told me to take 2mg of propecia...i have been taking 1mg since 1997.

should i leave nizoral 2% in my hair for less time (<5minutes) or dilute it with water? any suggestions?

thanks.

Using Propecia since 1997

Using Rogaine Foam once a day since 2012

Using Niazoral 2% once a week since 2012

• 1 month later...
tremendous

I'm using a shampoo that contains 2% Ketoconazole every other day and I believe that that is the main reason for the improvements in my hair loss. Remember that Ketoconazole - the active ingredient in Nizoral has an antibacterial and anti fungal effect and also eliminates DHT on scalp.Cheer up pall, there is no side effect at all for me.

Current regimen

------------------------------

Minoxidil 5% - 2x per day

Ketoconazole 2% - 2x per week

Merz Vitamin pills - 1x per day

------------------------------

Originally posted by Bill - Associate Publisher:

UK_Lad,

My first question is which Nizoral? Regular (1%) or 2%? Don't use 2% more than 2 or 3 times a week. If you're going to use the regular shampoo, you could also consider Revita which also contains 1% ketoconazole. You can use that shampoo daily.

Bill

Bill, why is that ?

What is in Nizoral that you can't use it as often as Revita ?

Where'd It Go,

I couldn't tell you for sure. However, I know Revita contains 1% ketoconazole and is enriched with a number of ingredients that helps moisturize and nourish the hair. Nizoral 2% has more ketoconazole so it's more heavily medicated. So whether or not it's the ketoconazole specifically that can cause scalp and hair dryness or something else, I couldn't tell you.

Best wishes,

Bill

The heavier dose would have something to do with it I would think, it is an over-the-counter drug after all, there must be some reason.

Personally I've been using Revita daily for a month, and I'm really happy with the way my hair feels, haven't noticed a reappearance of the dandruff since switching to a lower dose so I'm happy!

I don't mean to sound like a cynic but I am up in the air about Nizoral. It is a cheap $5 shampoo here in Australia (have used for HL in the big 3, did't rate it at all), how come other countries require prescription's for this? Slightly confusing issue? Or am I mislead?

How many studies have been conducted in relation to it's effects with DHT on the scalp?

Cheers,

MrMike