Long Hair FUE - Feedback Needed

Hey Guys,

I am looking to get a transplant either this year or next year. While doing my research I came across a video from Dr. Gary Linkov on YouTube. He states in Branzil they are most commonly known for doing the long hair FUE transplants. This procedure is not commonly done in the U.S. due to the time intensive nature. Anyone who wants to have an FUE transplant and would NOT like it to be noticeable should consider this.

Does anyone know any doctors doing this? Or more about the approach so that I can research? 

• Valued Contributor

I know this can be done and it sounds like you are dead keen on it. But my philosophy is that you want to make the surgeon and the tech's job as EASY as possible to position yourself to get the best outcome possible. I would also be choosing a surgeon based on who is best for you. Not who is best at no shave hair transplants. All the best!

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think it would rarely be worth it. It depends on how much hair loss you have and what your goals are. Most of the grafts placed in the recipient area are going to fall out anyway, so it's not going to matter in the recipient area. I can see wanting to keep the donor area looking like nothing happened especially if you like to wear your hair long, but then you can look at doing FUT with a Dr who doesn't require shaving the recipient area which would give you the same basic effect of not looking like anything was done after the first 10 days and then gradually growing over the next year. The FUT scar would be covered by the surrounding hair. If you really want FUE and you're not doing a large procedure you could also keep your hair extra long and shave the area where the grafts will be taken and let the long hair cover it. I have mentioned @Legend007 case a few times before as an example as he managed to do that.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I'm with Gatsby on this one. I understand the motivation behind a long hair transplant, but you are essentially limiting your chances of success by complicating simple steps. Shave it off and be open, it's 2022, any stigma associated with HT's is long gone. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

agree with the above. In Brazil there is only one and it’s Pittella, but the risk is there are not many self documented patient cases here (yet). could be a good option. 

Also, don’t take advise from Linkov. be wary of YouTubers or celebrity content creators in general, they water down information and avoid taking hard stances when needed. Many are paid by shills too (not saying linkov specifically because he’s a doctor), but notice how there are 0 cases of his work here? 

Edited by Z--
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Gatsby said:

I know this can be done and it sounds like you are dead keen on it. But my philosophy is that you want to make the surgeon and the tech's job as EASY as possible to position yourself to get the best outcome possible. I would also be choosing a surgeon based on who is best for you. Not who is best at no shave hair transplants. All the best!

Thanks 

5 hours ago, BeHappy said:

I think it would rarely be worth it. It depends on how much hair loss you have and what your goals are. Most of the grafts placed in the recipient area are going to fall out anyway, so it's not going to matter in the recipient area. I can see wanting to keep the donor area looking like nothing happened especially if you like to wear your hair long, but then you can look at doing FUT with a Dr who doesn't require shaving the recipient area which would give you the same basic effect of not looking like anything was done after the first 10 days and then gradually growing over the next year. The FUT scar would be covered by the surrounding hair. If you really want FUE and you're not doing a large procedure you could also keep your hair extra long and shave the area where the grafts will be taken and let the long hair cover it. I have mentioned @Legend007 case a few times before as an example as he managed to do that.

Thanks I’ll check in on this a bit more 

4 hours ago, Z-- said:

agree with the above. In Brazil there is only one and it’s Pittella, but the risk is there are not many self documented patient cases here (yet). could be a good option. 

Also, don’t take advise from Linkov. be wary of YouTubers or celebrity content creators in general, they water down information and avoid taking hard stances when needed. Many are paid by shills too (not saying linkov specifically because he’s a doctor), but notice how there are 0 cases of his work here? 

Hey that’s a good point, I have yet to search for his work. In this video he was explaining the basics of the two types. Thanks for sharing 

Echoing the others in that I wouldn’t let getting a Long-Hair FUE be a determining factor in choosing a surgeon. Focus first and foremost on finding a surgeon that is a good fit for you - and if it’s something they offer, then great! And I say that as a representative of someone who does offer a version of Long-Hair FUE (what Dr. Mohebi calls his “Celebrity FUE” procedure). There are definitely a small number of people who are adamant about needing to remain as inconspicuous as possible when getting a hair transplant, and so it’s nice for these people to have that as an option should they really want it. But the others are right in that it makes the procedure significantly more complicated and time consuming, which means there are some limitations (such as how many grafts can be done in a single session), as well more expensive. 

It’s worth looking into to see if you find a surgeon who you love who also offers this, and I’d be happy to send you some stuff on how Dr. Mohebi does this if you want. I would just also suggest being open to the possibility of getting a standard FUE and not worrying so much about it keeping it a complete secret. There are ways to work around the recovery so that you’re not broadcasting to the world that you had a procedure, and there are also ways to reframe it in your mind so that you’re not overly concerned with anyone that does know. 

• Thanks 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Thank you everyone, as a point of clarification. I don't particularly or absolutely need to have a long hair transplant, I just prefer it. It's not a must have, it just makes scheduling much easier for me. My first transplant was a FUT and I appreciated the not having to shave my head part. I do appreciate everyone's feedback and will do some additional research. 

Edited by bsass

• Moderators
15 hours ago, bsass said:

My first transplant was a FUT and I appreciated the not having to shave my head part. I do appreciate everyone's feedback and will do some additional research. 

If that's the case then you should look into doing another FUT with a Dr who doesn't require you to shave the recipient area as I mentioned earlier. You already have a FUT scar and they will cut out along the same scar line, so you will not create a new scar. Also since you already had a HT I'm guessing you probably have some hair in the area you are trying to add hair to either by adding more density to the existing HT or adding more hair where it continued to thin over time. Again, if that's the case then transplanting into those areas without needing to shave the area may work perfectly for you. I've done several smaller procedures in thin hair without shaving it and each time I went back to work after about 10 days with nobody noticing anything.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.