Hair loss pattern of nw7

Danzig323

I have one question.

If your genetics predisposed you to the nw7 pattern of hair loss in the early 20s, what is the point of taking medication, especially fin and dut if you lose hair that you still have because of those? Maybe I am wrong, but isn't success of HT mainly depends of your pattern, donor quality (density, thickness) if you have DUPA, Retrograde etc... 

I am asking this because I am in this situation, I am diffuse thinning to nw7, you can see the difference between hair that is not affected by DHT and not, I still have a lot of hair remaining but If they stay there for the next few years it will be because medication. I understand that even when someone in 50s are advised to take med. but what is the point of taking It in the 20s hoping to be a good candidate for HT in let say 30s if native hair between transplanted will be gone if you end with med.

just to delay it, and hope for the best. that means hainig at least some hair for more years.

DUPA and retrograde, depend on the case, if the donor is affected, yes it's weak. but otherwise if the donor is not affected, then it'd be quite thick and strong. if it's affected, then the hair is weaker, and easier to fizzle out. transplanted hair from what i found out, will also get weaker after a decade probably. but that means a decade with a head full of hair. although, there are some people whose transplanted hair stays strong. unlikely for us high NW though.

for me, it's just buying time. i'd be down since when im much older i might not have hair but... at least i'd have it for a while more.
if you think it's pointless though, will just either shave it bald, or use hair system.

Exactly, for those who will have receding hairline with no sign on crown loss by 40s it's the same, 99% they will have good results with good surgeon.

I think we have to weight pros and cons. If someone start with dht blocking med. on very early sign of hair loss and want to maintain good hair it's reasonably. 

It only delays the inevitable. Your genetics win in the end. You may take meds now & decide to stop them down the road, or they may lose potency (and yea Medications can do that over time for all the pharmacists here) , or you may develop side effects you don’t want to tolerate. Many reasons why you shouldn’t rely heavily on a tablet when pairing it with a transplant. I never felt comfortable being told finasteride is an absolute necessity if you go for a HT. You need to know what can be achieved with surgery alone and i stand by this. Once you can confirm  what your situation would allow via surgery then you can make the choice to take finasteride or not. At that point your playing with house money and it’s lower risk. But to depend on it?  Asking for trouble 

Edited by Hair4Days
  • Like 3

The meds will  slow down the process. Still you may drop them at some point due to sides, losing potency or interactions with oter medication. Therefore, yes I agree that a really good HT candidate is somebody who is not dependant on the medication,i.e. that the supply side can meet the demand side regardless of medication 

Hair4Days, that is exactly what I was thinking!! It's like holding the building from falling with a wooden plank, it's temporary solution. 

Doing HT in 20s with having relatives with high NW is really lottery. Yes you can take a risk and hoping for better medication in the future, hair cloning etc. but depend on It for me  It would be devastating, thinking every day what will happen.  As an example it's 2010, and you are 26, you were on medication for 1y before and "halt" hair-loss, some hair clinics did HT on you. In 2011 you have great piece of hair, you are still taking propecia but in 2021 you have to stop because of sides or some other health problems, and you are here now in 2022 you still don't have any miracle cure, you lost half of density you have just year before, you are 38 and looking like a clown. All I want to say from my amateur perspective that is better to have consultation in person with best for high NW cases to examine your hair properly and approximately gives what you can expect in the future, I know he is not Nostradamus, but I would rather spend 2000 euros on best scalp examination than on risky HT in Turkey.

Edited by Danzig323

If you are genetically destined to be a NW7, and especially if you have some sort of premonition that DHT blockers will not delay the inevitable, then you shouldn't bother with a HT. Hair transplants are not meant for NW7s. 

There are countless fashion and other appearance tactics you can do that work well with a NW 7 look. But yea save your time and money and don't go down the HT path. 

48 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

If you are genetically destined to be a NW7, and especially if you have some sort of premonition that DHT blockers will not delay the inevitable, then you shouldn't bother with a HT. Hair transplants are not meant for NW7s. 

There are countless fashion and other appearance tactics you can do that work well with a NW 7 look. But yea save your time and money and don't go down the HT path. 

Yes, but it's not just time and money, It is your mental health. I hate I am balding, and probably 99.9% especially young people who are losing hair too. But I can't image if I went down HT road and constantly trying to catch hair loss, It would be such of waste of time. I would advise any young men like me to consult with psychotherapist first.

Edited by Danzig323
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Medication buys you time. How long? No one knows. But life is all about buying time. We take medication, so we live longer. That doesn’t mean it’s gonna be forever. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

You are right, but hair loss does not threaten your life. Unfortunately many people especially young can't afford professional and ethical surgeon and will desperately go for low budget HT, we have hundreds of testimonies. I would advise that 1. line of defense would be seek for psychological help. 

• Like 1

Medication like oral Dutasteride and  minoxidil will buy you a LOT of time don't worry. It will certainly stop further miniaturization and MAYBE thicken up some miniaturized hairs. 

I am 99% sure that you will not lose any hair at all for at least a good decade or so. Probably even more. 

And even if you start thinning again, it'll not just happen overnight. It would take years to notice a deterioration in hair miniaturization on such a strong stack.  

I suggest you check MorePlatesMoreDates, Haircafé, Dr. Oscar Muñoz, Hairloss Show. They have plenty of information regarding the long term efficacy of hairloss drugs. 

Oral Finasteride & topical  minoxidil 5% mixed with tretinoin is the basic combo. Sufficient for most men to maintain a good decade. Unless your hairloss is really agressive or you use steroids. 

Dutasteride + oral minoxidil + RU58841/Eucapil/CB0301= upgraded version. The strongest anti androgenic combo you can use without risking sides. 

Derek's nuclear protocol = Estrogen 10mg, spironolactone 200mg, bicalutamide, cyproterone acetate, castration, lupron etc... They are many guys who regrow hair on these drugs and get better results than 80% of hair transplants on this forum. Check out  Transtimelines. These are the best drugs for totally stopping and often significantly reversing Male Pattern Baldness but these do come with A LOT of sides...🔥🔥😅😅

Ultimately I'd just stay on Dutasteride 0.5mf daily and minoxidil. And I'm sure you will be perfectly fine. 

I will continue using dut and min, I want to see progress in next 6-12 month.

Just for comparison, I am suffering from 24/7 ringing in my ears (tinnitus), If there ever be medication to stop ringing while you are using it, I would definitely use it all my life.

Basically..

If you have a lot of native hair left, find out that in the event you lose it all, if your donor allow for full restoration with surgery. If the answer is no due to poor donor characteristics, then it’s a bad idea to do the frontal third, and then take finasteride to hold onto the back half of your scalp. You confirmed your donor is poor so now you depend on a drug to save you from looking bad with just a frontal third. What happens when you decide to stop taking it? Alternatively, if a doctor says your donor likely has enough to give you full coverage if you go fully bald in the future, then taking finasteride is then just up to you and the only real benefit is delaying when you go for a second procedure 

9 hours ago, Hair4Days said:

Basically..

If you have a lot of native hair left, find out that in the event you lose it all, if your donor allow for full restoration with surgery. If the answer is no due to poor donor characteristics, then it’s a bad idea to do the frontal third, and then take finasteride to hold onto the back half of your scalp. You confirmed your donor is poor so now you depend on a drug to save you from looking bad with just a frontal third. What happens when you decide to stop taking it? Alternatively, if a doctor says your donor likely has enough to give you full coverage if you go fully bald in the future, then taking finasteride is then just up to you and the only real benefit is delaying when you go for a second procedure 

Yes, but how can you know your donor characteristics after 10 years? If you don't have DUPA now, who can guarantees you will not have it for 5-10y?

Edited by Danzig323

4 hours ago, Danzig323 said:

Yes, but how can you know your donor characteristics after 10 years? If you don't have DUPA now, who can guarantees you will not have it for 5-10y?

That’s a good point but i would say if you have a low percentage of miniaturization right now in your donor then in a worst scenario your transplant would just thin out as you age. You never see peoples donor completely bald out like the top of their scalp so maybe when your in your 60s your hair just looks like it’s thinning out naturally. But it’s not likely to happen rapidly so you should get a good amount of time with a nice result. 

you can check for miniaturization using a usb microscope. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Hair4Days said:

That’s a good point but i would say if you have a low percentage of miniaturization right now in your donor then in a worst scenario your transplant would just thin out as you age. You never see peoples donor completely bald out like the top of their scalp so maybe when your in your 60s your hair just looks like it’s thinning out naturally. But it’s not likely to happen rapidly so you should get a good amount of time with a nice result. 

you can check for miniaturization using a usb microscope. 

That is It, answer for what I was looking for.  Thank you very much.

Sadly very little surgeon would give you this kind of explanation. 

Edited by Danzig323
  • Like 1

I kind of think of medication as a preventative. you take it early when you notice things (hopefully that aren’t bad) and the mindset is to try and keep what you already have and not regrow anything.

there are some cases where people may regrow or still lose. However, the idea of the meds (fin/dut) is to keep your hair now and slow down your mpb. Whether that’s very aggressive or slowly. Some people with genetic dispositions as a nw7 don’t always become that. It could be that early in your 20-30s you have extremely aggressive hair loss that you delayed due to the medication and may only be a nw3-4. 

it’s not 100% that you will be a nw7 but genetics can help factor things in. You might be lucky and be the first to keep all of their hair thanks to the medication and if you don’t you can always plan for FUT procedures and save graft yields, take body hairs, etc.

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

I think it's also important to be conservative if and when you do go in for a HT. No need to go wasting grafts on a super aggressive hairline if you know you're going to keep losing. Plus it doesn't look great IMO for a 40 year old dude to have a low low hairline. So ya, plan for needing 2 or 3 HT's. and be wise with how you instruct your Dr to use your grafts. 

If you can shave your head and like how it looks, that's the easiest way forward. But depending on your facial features, if that's not in the cards, even if you do eventually become a nw7, having hair in your 20s and 30s can help make the difference in getting the right woman and having your kids. Not to mention advancing and establishing yourself on your career path. Perhaps during that additional time current medication gives you, better treatments come along and you end up never having to spend any time with a bald head.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 4:32 PM, ciaus said:

If you can shave your head and like how it looks, that's the easiest way forward. But depending on your facial features, if that's not in the cards, even if you do eventually become a nw7, having hair in your 20s and 30s can help make the difference in getting the right woman and having your kids. Not to mention advancing and establishing yourself on your career path. Perhaps during that additional time current medication gives you, better treatments come along and you end up never having to spend any time with a bald head.

Absolutely, but be honest, how often you see bald men on street and think "poor guy, hair loss made him ugly", if you are fit and care about your skin, lack of hair would not make you unattractive. Good-looking guy would look good with or without hair. You have ugly nose?, make rhinoplasty, weak chin?, do chin implants etc. But the sooner you accept your body, it will be easier for you.  Just look at Jeff Bezos in his 20s, he was a below average  guy with or without hair, but he was at some point the richest and most successful man on the planet!! 

37 minutes ago, Danzig323 said:

Absolutely, but be honest, how often you see bald men on street and think "poor guy, hair loss made him ugly", if you are fit and care about your skin, lack of hair would not make you unattractive. Good-looking guy would look good with or without hair. You have ugly nose?, make rhinoplasty, weak chin?, do chin implants etc. But the sooner you accept your body, it will be easier for you.  Just look at Jeff Bezos in his 20s, he was a below average  guy with or without hair, but he was at some point the richest and most successful man on the planet!! 

No doubt there's a number of ways to look at this, from my positive pro-active take, to letting nature run its course, to just living in the moment because you could end up dying tomorrow or a few years from now.

But in terms of how important various features are in terms of achieving a more pleasing appearance, you can't beat the versatility that hair can provide. The length and way that you style the hair can help to bring out your better features and de-emphasize your weaker ones more than changes you can make to any other feature. So if you happen to already be a fairly good looking guy, yea you're going to pull it off better since there's less that needs to be hidden or highlighted. But you still won't look as good, and alot of guys out there that aren't blessed enough with those kinds of good looks in the first place. Like Jeff Bezos. And make no mistake, he's not accepting his 58 year old body. lol

With Jeff Bezos then/now we're talking more testosterone, either through TRT or straight up performance steriods. The guy will be eligible for social security in a few years though he doesn't need it of course. But look at these size increases on his arms and neck. And being in shape like that also brings out his underlying facial structure better. If he were able to grow out a beard he'd be really rocking it. But even without that, he's a good example of how you can work around not having hair. On the other end of the spectrum of guys with hair problems and no money problems is Elon Musk. He is making the most of the technology we have today to not accept the situation and is doing pretty good as well.

image.png.24f33ade4fda7b4beb9e5a4a33dc7309.png

image.png.c54f6948fab9c4d29a73c11135c11423.png

image.png

Yes, but who do you think is more attractive to womens, jeff bezos in his 20s WITH hair, and today jeff bezos? In the worst scenario it's the same. 

For Elon Musk, you know he was already millionaire in the left picture? He was successful and have good looking lady with receding hair. 

Edited by Danzig323
  • Haha 1