Hair Transplant and Future Balding?

What is the likelihood the transplanted hair ends up thinning out bad or potentially balding due to variety of factors life can present? For instance it would suck to get an HT and then at 70 that hair is thin wisps. Is this likely or rare?

Donor hair are also affected by dht over time, Finasteride might or might not prevent that, but if you live long enough it might happen. I am all for future planning, but I think not doing a hair transplant because it won't look good in your 70s is neglecting all time from today until you are 70 as well. Moreover, given you're in your 30s, it is really hard to predict what happens with a) you (you might be dead) and b) hair loss treatmens within 30-40 years. We might see a paradigm change until then.

• Like 1

• Administrators

It will thin over time. Everyones hair thins with age, it’s inevitable. As you age, you have less active hair on your head. Cells are dying, as is your hair. 

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I am a strong believer that the common myth of the donor area being DHT resistance is to blame for this misconception. 

By that i mean people act as if DHT doesn't affect it at all, but even if say they block 99% DHT, that 1% damage over decades eventually catches up. Its why taking Finasteride or similar can help strengthen the donor area hair too. 

I personally hope i can take the medication for as long as possible but i do also hope a breakthrough treatment comes through soon and i wouldn't mind switching over to something that can block more that 51% scalp DHT and restore my serum body DHT for maximum efficiency. 

I am a person who functions okay even with 90% or more blocked via Dutasteride 0.5mg everyday atm, but if i could get better results and whatnot, it's a no brainer to switch. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NARMAK said:

I am a strong believer that the common myth of the donor area being DHT resistance is to blame for this misconception. 

By that i mean people act as if DHT doesn't affect it at all, but even if say they block 99% DHT, that 1% damage over decades eventually catches up. Its why taking Finasteride or similar can help strengthen the donor area hair too. 

I personally hope i can take the medication for as long as possible but i do also hope a breakthrough treatment comes through soon and i wouldn't mind switching over to something that can block more that 51% scalp DHT and restore my serum body DHT for maximum efficiency. 

I am a person who functions okay even with 90% or more blocked via Dutasteride 0.5mg everyday atm, but if i could get better results and whatnot, it's a no brainer to switch. 

Can you take fin or Dut if trying for a kid however?

5 hours ago, NOMORENORWOOD said:

Can you take fin or Dut if trying for a kid however?

You'll find examples around the Internet of people who have conceived perfectly healthy children whilst taking the medication but the official advice given by the medication is to cease during any attempts to conceive for a certain period of time depending on if its Finasteride (shorter half life) or Dutasteride (longer half life). There's a couple reasons and benefits why people may want to do this:

1) The restored body serum DHT may make it easier to achieve erections if there's even any minor ED problems a person may have experienced 

2) The trace elements of the medication that apparently end up in the sperm should clear, and you may have increased volume/quality. 

Personally even i would want to stop the medication as a precaution. My hair isn't worth being selfish and potentially compromising the health of any child i may help conceive and given its a few months at most, you shouldn't really lose much ground unless your hair loss is one of the worst recorded in history. The DHT simply begins to attack the hair follicles at an increased rate again but once you start the medication again, it should block enough to let the hair heal and get strong again. 

• Like 2

Nomorenorwood,

i’ll tell you what I ultimately tell everybody when it comes to the question of permanency. At the end of the day, a hair transplant or transplanted is as permanent as the hair on the sides and back of your scalp.  So if you are losing hair due to androgenetic alopecia aka genetic male pattern baldness, The hair on the side of back of your scalp will be largely unaffected. That is because these hairs are DHT resistant. DHT or dihydrotestosterone is the hormone responsible for male pattern baldness.

The reason why this is true is because hair transplant surgery works on a principal known as donor dominance. In other words, transplanted hair will retain its original properties and thus, when it’s moved, it will remain DHT resistant.

Now, there are other non-genetic causes of hair loss that can develop over one’s lifetime and that’s not something that people can really predict.  So that’s why I always tell people that transplanted hair is as permanent as the hair on the signs of back of her head. If one develops cancer for example, radiation therapy and or chemotherapy will likely cause total hair loss which includes any transplant and hair. However, once treatment stops, most if not all the hair typically returns.

I should also state that it is normal for men to experience some nominal hair thinning as they age and while it will not likely cause any dramatic change in appearance, it’s relevant and important that men know that transplanted and natural hair can look a bit thinner later in life simply due to age.

But overall, hair transplants are considered mostly permanent and the end result is typically a much fuller, denser and natural looking head of hair than prior to surgery.  Just also keep in mind that hair transplant surgery does nothing to stop the progression of male pattern baldness and if you are still losing natural hair, you might want to consider finasteride which might help slow down, stop or reverse the process.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

On 7/7/2022 at 10:07 PM, NOMORENORWOOD said:

What is the likelihood the transplanted hair ends up thinning out bad or potentially balding due to variety of factors life can present? For instance it would suck to get an HT and then at 70 that hair is thin wisps. Is this likely or rare?

Regardless of age, sometimes the transplanted hair also have a tendency to miniaturize due to androgenetic alopecia. The scalp donor area is not totally immune to baldness. Hence, taking finasteride can help sustain even the transplanted hair by prolonging baldness. With age, the hair will thin out all over the scalp.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 3:01 AM, NARMAK said:

You'll find examples around the Internet of people who have conceived perfectly healthy children whilst taking the medication but the official advice given by the medication is to cease during any attempts to conceive for a certain period of time depending on if its Finasteride (shorter half life) or Dutasteride (longer half life). There's a couple reasons and benefits why people may want to do this:

1) The restored body serum DHT may make it easier to achieve erections if there's even any minor ED problems a person may have experienced 

2) The trace elements of the medication that apparently end up in the sperm should clear, and you may have increased volume/quality. 

Personally even i would want to stop the medication as a precaution. My hair isn't worth being selfish and potentially compromising the health of any child i may help conceive and given its a few months at most, you shouldn't really lose much ground unless your hair loss is one of the worst recorded in history. The DHT simply begins to attack the hair follicles at an increased rate again but once you start the medication again, it should block enough to let the hair heal and get strong again. 

So like 2 weeks off it for fin and 6 months for Dut? Can you use rogain or oral rogain during that time?

1 hour ago, NOMORENORWOOD said:

So like 2 weeks off it for fin and 6 months for Dut? Can you use rogain or oral rogain during that time?

I don't know the exact timescales off the top of my head but it's best to consult with a professional generally i think to make sure you have everything in order when trying to conceive. Medication or otherwise. 

• Like 1