Norwood 3V - Considering only focusing on crown not hairline

Hi all,

As the title suggests, I'm Norwood 3V and am considering doing a transplant only for the crown, not for the hairline. I have a decent bit of M shaped loss on the hairline but frankly I kind of like how it looks and am able to style it well for now. However I have a bald spot that's pretty large on my crown that bothers me a lot more and can only cover it with hair fibers. Many Hollywood stars have significant hairline loss but seemingly no loss on the crown and it looks really great and masculine (Take a look at Bruce Willis in Armageddon). 

I know most people say to focus on the hairline before the crown, but like I said I am much more concerned with the crown just due to my own personal aestehtics. I understand the loss will continue and maybe one day I wont be happy with my hairline but the natural hairs behind the transplanted ones on the hairline will continue to recede anyways. 

So long story short, would this be a major mistake or are there others who have done this? Since I'm limited to 4000 grafts per session I worry if I split between the hairline and crown I would not get the crown coverage I desired. 

• Administrators

Bad, bad, bad decision. The front is THE most important aspect. Trust me, you will not wanna have a thick crown with receded hairline. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

34 minutes ago, Adier said:

Nobody looks at your crown at first glance. It's the front. Moreover crown can take up lot of grafts. 

I mean, when you got a big shiny bald spot on the crown they sure do! Some guys have very diffuse crown thinning I got a white out. 

IMG_9159.jpg

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Bad, bad, bad decision. The front is THE most important aspect. Trust me, you will not wanna have a thick crown with receded hairline. 

But look at Bruce Willis in Armageddon! Of course eventually he did go full Norwood 7 though.

But do you really think 1500 graft would be enough coverage for me to be happy with given the pic of the crown above? If I'm capped to 4000 grafts I'd need to do 2500 hairline 1500 crown. I'm not on fin but understand I will likely need a 2nd or 3rd HT. But I'd like to go 4-6 years before needing HT number 2. 

I'm half kidding with the Bruce Willis stuff by the way and appreciate your advice. But I do think some guys look fine with a very receded hairline and no bald spot on crown. Maybe not the majority but some do, and I think I might be one of those....

Edit: I know you can't tell me what will make me happy, so to reword the 2nd line, do you think 1500 grafts is enough for your average person to be content with given the pic above? 

Edited by GoliGoliGoli

1 hour ago, Adier said:

Damn. You can consider a crown HT then but while you are at it why not get your hairline fixed?

Good question. Mainly due to being limited to 4000 grafts per session and having to decide how to best divy up those grafts. Cost is of course a factor too. People say not to consider cost when deciding if you want a HT, but lets be honest thousands or tens of thousands of dollars is a lot of money no matter who you are. 

• Valued Contributor

With MPB being progressive that crown is likely to expand and over the time you will be chasing it by throwing all of your finite grafts at it. I would definitely be focusing on the frontal third and work backwards. You risk being left with an island of hair like a Hare krishna otherwise! All the best!

Edited by Gatsby
  • Like 2

Thanks! Have you ever shaved your head to see how it looks? You’re thinking of surgery with Dr. Nader right? I wonder if you should shave it now. Would be great if you liked it! Especially seen your transplant wouldn’t be supported by medication. 

7 minutes ago, GaryStruthers said:

Thanks! Have you ever shaved your head to see how it looks? You’re thinking of surgery with Dr. Nader right? I wonder if you should shave it now. Would be great if you liked it! Especially seen your transplant wouldn’t be supported by medication. 

What would be the point of shaving it? Just to see if I liked how it looked? When I was in my teens I buzzed it so definitely not shaven, and didn't like how it looked so I'm hesitant to go that route. 

I really think going the non-medication route is fine as long as you're honest about needing multiple HT's. That's a large benefit of going to Nader. You're getting US quality results at far below market rate prices. 

Edited by GoliGoliGoli

TBH I really don't know why everyone doesn't go to Nader. I'm not saying hes the worlds best but for the work he does and at his price per graft it just seems crazy to go anywhere else

Edited by GoliGoliGoli

19 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

What would be the point of shaving it? Just to see if I liked how it looked? When I was in my teens I buzzed it so definitely not shaven, and didn't like how it looked so I'm hesitant to go that route. 

I really think going the non-medication route is fine as long as you're honest about needing multiple HT's. That's a large benefit of going to Nader. You're getting US quality results at far below market rate prices. 

Got ya! And yes absolutely, if you are prepared for multiple surgeries then meds don’t need to be discussed. 2 or 3 (if done with Nader) should be reasonable I imagine?

1 minute ago, GaryStruthers said:

Got ya! And yes absolutely, if you are prepared for multiple surgeries then meds don’t need to be discussed. 2 or 3 (if done with Nader) should be reasonable I imagine?

Relative to US surgeons absolutely