FUE by Dr Bicer or FUE+FUT by Dr Pathomvanich

Hello all,

I have already booked surgery with Dr Bicer. I've read many reviews about her work and have no doubt that she does excellent work.

However, in the past few days I've been reading more about FUT and how it can yield better results in terms of graft management. I've been told that my donor is average and I assume that I'm going to need at least one more procedure in the future so I'd like my donor to be used as efficiently as possible. From what I've seen Dr Bicer is pretty much only doing FUE.

I contacted Dr Pathomvanich in Thailand and he suggested to do a combination of FUE and FUT (I believe that is his specialty). He doesn't have as many patient reviews as Dr Bicer but the ones that he has all show great results.

Considering the advantages of FUT and that I need 3500 grafts for the first HT plus a likely second HT in the future I am thinking to change and go with Dr Path. The scar from FUT is not a big deal to me as I usually leave my hair long enough in that area so that it shouldn't be visible.

I'm quite undecided at the moment and would appreciate any input.

Edited by HortonC

• Administrators

Can you share some pictures? We will be able to better help you with pictures of your hair loss.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 6/25/2022 at 7:37 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

Can you share some pictures? We will be able to better help you with pictures of your hair loss.

Yes

Edited by HortonC

From what I have read, doing a few FUT sessions and then going the route of FUE yields more grafts over a lifetime. I don't know if this still holds. Someone else can chime in. Both these surgeons are great.

• Like 1

Well, i would say go with what you feel more comfortable with, there is argument on both sides of the fue/fut. Some top surgens noted that FUT can cause some grafts under scar to be unsusable for future ht. I read some research on that a while ago.  Also, Fut scar has potential to cause permanent nerve numbness in strip area. 

Edited by civic
  • Like 1

• Valued Contributor

At the end of the day I think it really comes down to choosing the best FUT surgeon versus the best FUE surgeon. If it was me today with your donor and hair loss I would choose FUE. But you really have to decide what you believe (after doing LOTS of research) what’s right for you. 👍

• Like 1

I'm no expert, but I suggest you choose FUE over FUT since FUT is not necessary in your situation afterall. Your hair calibre seems to be thicker than average, and the donor area density is quite high as far as i can see. Furthermore, notwithstanding the diffuse thinning you have on top, your lateral humps are intact, and your frontal third forelock is quite strong, which reduces the overall potential area of your recepient zone. My guess is that you'll get your desired density with 2 FUEs

Edited by Eli_Avdikian
  • Like 1

In my honest opinion, if you do not care about the FUT scar i think FUT will get you the best yield of grafts. Now I am not saying youll get the best cherry picked grafts like you would in FUE, but you could potentially harvest more grafts from FUT. However, I do not know if you are taking medication or your history of MPB. If I was you I would evaluate based off your progression of loss, if youre taking any medication and still losing hair, age, and what kind of expectation do you want. 

As a fellow diffuser I would most likely go with FUE, solely because some grafts need to be cherry picked. However, I would consider FUT because many of those grafts can still be utilized at first and then, FUE, to target the rest for density and future hair loss.

But just to remind you not all hair loss is the same and we all dont share the exact same donor.

• Like 1

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022