Narrowed it down to 3 clinic choices; Rahal, Hasson, Bisanga. Any other insight on who I should chose?

5 hours ago, Savemyhairline said:

Thank you and I totally agree, I don’t mind a forehead a little on the higher side, I really need the temple points/temples refined and filled in, along with some thinner areas on my frontal third. I also have a tall head/face so a junior hairline would look very out of place. I have been very impressed with all 3 docs as far as this is concerned, I do like the way Dr. Bisanga seems to close off the temples.

Do you have any favorite cases of Hasson which shows temple work you can share?  I'm in the same ballpark trying to figure out the best doc for my hairline & temple work.

15 minutes ago, Calihome1 said:

Do you have any favorite cases of Hasson which shows temple work you can share?  I'm in the same ballpark trying to figure out the best doc for my hairline & temple work.

Nothing specific with temple work comes to mind for Hasson, though I do like his work overall. I primarily have searched his name in the advanced search and tried to see cases in the last couple years. I think for me, that reputation he has of almost always being successful (obviously not 100%) and the density he manages to achieve are why I am strongly considering him. I’ve heard it said that hair transplants are 50% science and 50% art, though in my opinion it is mostly an art. The design that mimics nature and has an aesthetic that is pleasing can only be done by an artist, if it were all science then there would be a lot more doctors who are considered elite. So even if Hasson didn’t do the most intensive temple work, I still believe he would create an excellent aesthetic overall. 

1 minute ago, Savemyhairline said:

Nothing specific with temple work comes to mind for Hasson, though I do like his work overall. I primarily have searched his name in the advanced search and tried to see cases in the last couple years. I think for me, that reputation he has of almost always being successful (obviously not 100%) and the density he manages to achieve are why I am strongly considering him. I’ve heard it said that hair transplants are 50% science and 50% art, though in my opinion it is mostly an art. The design that mimics nature and has an aesthetic that is pleasing can only be done by an artist, if it were all science then there would be a lot more doctors who are considered elite. So even if Hasson didn’t do the most intensive temple work, I still believe he would create an excellent aesthetic overall. 

Gotcha.  I just haven't been able to find many temple cases done by him.  Another one that I was looking at for hairline and temple is Ferreira.  @Sitries1 had a procedure with him and it's looking great so far and pretty much exactly what I would want to do with mine.

5 hours ago, Calihome1 said:

I really like this response and agree.  For this reason I reached out to Bisanga for a consult after seeing one of his videos explaining temples.

Which doctor would you consider skilled in creating these temples points and transition to the hairline?

I can't find it now, but I saw a real good example of Bisanga's temples, which was a factor in me going to him for my second HT

It was interesting to hear him work... he was talking to his technicians when extracting hairs for my temples, he was working around my ears (if I recall) and he said he was looking for "sexy" hairs. Haha! He explained to me that he not only wanted single grafts but also thinner caliber. 

In hind sight, I wish I did more grafts to close out temples. I still might have another procedure just for that. 

It's worth mentioning that Bisanga uses a tool called the K.E.E.P. implanter (or rather his technicians uses it). Bisanga makes the incisions and then the techs use the KEEP tool to implant the grafts. Allegedly, it protects the grafts while inserting them into the skin better than just using tweezers. Bisanga says it helps with survival rate and early growth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MachoVato said:

I can't find it now, but I saw a real good example of Bisanga's temples, which was a factor in me going to him for my second HT

It was interesting to hear him work... he was talking to his technicians when extracting hairs for my temples, he was working around my ears (if I recall) and he said he was looking for "sexy" hairs. Haha! He explained to me that he not only wanted single grafts but also thinner caliber. 

In hind sight, I wish I did more grafts to close out temples. I still might have another procedure just for that. 

It's worth mentioning that Bisanga uses a tool called the K.E.E.P. implanter (or rather his technicians uses it). Bisanga makes the incisions and then the techs use the KEEP tool to implant the grafts. Allegedly, it protects the grafts while inserting them into the skin better than just using tweezers. Bisanga says it helps with survival rate and early growth.

Do other docs choose thin singles from nape and ear line for the temple?

34 minutes ago, Calihome1 said:

Do other docs choose thin singles from nape and ear line for the temple?

I would say traditionally, no. Those parts of the head are prone to thinning due to retrograde alopecia. But I was 50 years old at the time so it was relatively safe to extract from those areas on me  

4 minutes ago, MachoVato said:

I would say traditionally, no. Those parts of the head are prone to thinning due to retrograde alopecia. But I was 50 years old at the time so it was relatively safe to extract from those areas on me  

Interesting, thanks for the info.

On 6/25/2022 at 9:40 AM, Savemyhairline said:

Over the last year I have done quite a bit of research. I have seen many impressive results from all 3 of these Doctors. Now that I have been on fin/min for about a year, I am ready to plan the HT. I have looked at and consulted with quite a few clinics and currently I feel these 3 are the best for my situation. I am 26, really looking to solidify the frontal third. I am a diffuse thinner though the meds have really helped with my crown and mid scalp, so at this time I am just focusing on the frontal third for the procedure. i believe FUE in the ballpark of 2.5k-3k grafts is what I am looking for. Some pros/cons I am seeing with each:

Hasson:

+Extremely reputable, puts out consistently great results

+Very competent team

+Been in the industry for a long time

-I have seen some concerns with him using more grafts than necessary and doing what other doctors can achieve with less grafts

-expensive/far travel but this is really the least of my concerns 

Rahal:

+I really like his hairline designs, he really seems to have earned the hairline king nickname.

+also very reputable and has been producing excellent results for many years

+price seems quite reasonable for the quality you are getting, though again this is a lower consideration for a permanent surgery. Also I can potentially drive/be driven to the clinic (I’m east USA) instead of flying which may be nice on the way home after the surgery.

+so far the consulting reps/customer service has been the best to me, the work/result is obviously way more important though I appreciate his process for consultations and his rep has been very helpful and responsive.

-some people have had concerns of less people posting results from him lately, though this seems to have been rectified as I have seen them post results on this very forum multiple times within the past 6 months/year. Some people have also had concerns that his FUE isn’t at the level that his, now discontinued FUT was, though I am not seeing this to be the case. His FUE results look fantastic.

Bisanga:

+Awesome work, seems to have earned an amazing reputation in recent years

+A lot of recent patient reviews/postings that backup his reputation 

-furthest travel/different continent though this isn’t a huge deal for me

-I haven’t heard back yet from my virtual consultation that I did on here, it’s only been like a week and a half but still, H&W and Rahal were on that very quickly. Maybe I should send the pics through his site directly? 

If you think I can’t go wrong with any of the 3 then that is a great answer. Please do share any insights or considerations I am maybe not thinking of. I will be sure to post my progress from start to finish on here once I get the procedure done. Here is what I am looking like currently:

BB1F625D-E51E-4999-BE55-2F98A07BFA6B.jpeg

0A82EC53-5D00-4A0B-9896-3EC17C6D4F4A.jpeg

067AF7EA-62A2-49AA-8E67-38AAA8BDDFC1.jpeg

4E7878AB-5932-4471-B637-F86330B79B25.jpeg

You made a decision on Bisanga based on a virtual consult?  My case is a bit different as I had a FUT HT a long time ago, so, they want to consult with me in person, which will be difficult from a logistics perspective (different continent). 

11 minutes ago, Calihome1 said:

You made a decision on Bisanga based on a virtual consult?  My case is a bit different as I had a FUT HT a long time ago, so, they want to consult with me in person, which will be difficult from a logistics perspective (different continent). 

I’m doing an in-person consultation with him next month in Maryland. They recommended I do an in-person before committing to surgery. Probably a good idea since pictures can only tell so much. Actual surgery would likely be in Belgium unless he gets a definitive date for the US again next year.

Edited by Savemyhairline

Just now, Savemyhairline said:

I’m doing an in-person consultation with him next month in Maryland. They recommended I do an in-person before committing to surgery. Probably a good idea since pictures can only tell so much. Actual surgery would likely be in Belgium unless he has gets a definitive date for the US again next year.

Oh gotcha.  Ya that makes sense, they offered the same to me, consult in Maryland next month.  Unsure if I can make it as it's a busy month.  Flying to MD and back to CA for a 1 hr consult would be taxing for sure.

1 minute ago, Calihome1 said:

Oh gotcha.  Ya that makes sense, they offered the same to me, consult in Maryland next month.  Unsure if I can make it as it's a busy month.  Flying to MD and back to CA for a 1 hr consult would be taxing for sure.

Yeah I don’t blame you, that’s too far just for a consultation. I’m like a 3.5 hour drive and I’ll probably make a trip out of it, go to DC after or something. Maybe see if you can just do a virtual/video consultation? 

They said that since I had FUT before and want to transplant into an area that already has grafts, they would want to review both donor and recipient skin with mircoscope.

I mean, I like that they are being safe and thorough; it's just a pain based on where I live.  Doing US based surgery is still up in the air for next year?  Is that right?

3 minutes ago, Calihome1 said:

They said that since I had FUT before and want to transplant into an area that already has grafts, they would want to review both donor and recipient skin with mircoscope.

I mean, I like that they are being safe and thorough; it's just a pain based on where I live.  Doing US based surgery is still up in the air for next year?  Is that right?

Yeah for sure I get why they want to. Yes Ian told me possibly April but no guarantees. I mean do they think there’s a chance you aren’t a candidate? If you are very likely to be a good candidate then I would think a consultation the day before the surgery would be fine. Flying all the way to Belgium just for them to tell you you aren’t a candidate would suck, but if you are very likely able to be a candidate maybe worth the risk instead of flying across country and then another trip to Belgium.

5 minutes ago, Savemyhairline said:

Yeah for sure I get why they want to. Yes Ian told me possibly April but no guarantees. I mean do they think there’s a chance you aren’t a candidate? If you are very likely to be a good candidate then I would think a consultation the day before the surgery would be fine. Flying all the way to Belgium just for them to tell you you aren’t a candidate would suck, but if you are very likely able to be a candidate maybe worth the risk instead of flying across country and then another trip to Belgium.

I don't see why I wouldn't be a candidate based on my age (42) and stabilized hair since starting fin 17 yrs ago. 

I think also they thought my hairline design was too aggressive, but, I responded that it was a very rough design done on Microsoft paint, so to take with a grain of salt.  But, ya, I def don't want to fly to Belgium to get turned down.

5 minutes ago, Calihome1 said:

I don't see why I wouldn't be a candidate based on my age (42) and stabilized hair since starting fin 17 yrs ago. 

I think also they thought my hairline design was too aggressive, but, I responded that it was a very rough design done on Microsoft paint, so to take with a grain of salt.  But, ya, I def don't want to fly to Belgium to get turned down.

Eh I mean the choice is yours but based on what you described I think it’s safe to just fly to Belgium for the whole thing. H&W, Rahal, and several other reputable clinics were willing to work on me without an in-person consult first.

@Calihome1 @Savemyhairline I didn't read your guys' histories but are either of you repair patients?

If so, I understand why Bisanga may require an in person consult, but at the same time totally understand that its not realistic logistically. And yes it would be a massive bummer to need to fly anywhere for a consult, with a possibility you may not like what Bisanga has to say. 

For me personally, this is one of the reasons I turned down Bisanga and Cooley too. They are both repair wizards, but the mandatory in person consult was too much for me. Also it would have added an additional 3 months to an already agonizing waitlist for surgery (3 months to wait for the consult, before booking the actual surgery)

If you guys are non-repair patients, and Bisanga is still requiring an in-person consult, I truly do not understand that logic at all. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HappyMan2021 said:

@Calihome1 @Savemyhairline I didn't read your guys' histories but are either of you repair patients?

If so, I understand why Bisanga may require an in person consult, but at the same time totally understand that its not realistic logistically. And yes it would be a massive bummer to need to fly anywhere for a consult, with a possibility you may not like what Bisanga has to say. 

For me personally, this is one of the reasons I turned down Bisanga and Cooley too. They are both repair wizards, but the mandatory in person consult was too much for me. Also it would have added an additional 3 months to an already agonizing waitlist for surgery (3 months to wait for the consult, before booking the actual surgery)

If you guys are non-repair patients, and Bisanga is still requiring an in-person consult, I truly do not understand that logic at all. 

No; I am not a repair case.  The reasoning was to thoroughly inspect my donor and recipient due to my FUT procedure 17yrs ago.  

From my communication w/ the clinic, here is the reasoning: 

"The skin in the recipient area would be evaluated to assess for scarring due to previous recipient sites and/ or compromised skin, and the donor area to be able to understand how well it was previously managed and optimally plan moving forward.

As with any strip surgery, the closure will have likely created some miniaturisation below the scar, and of course density needs to be left in place above the scar to help to conceal the scar, especially as you currently keep your hair shorter and so this must be considered and respected."

17 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

I am not, I have never had a HT

Great discussion is what this community is all about. To provide a platform to question approaches, experiences, reasoning and to better educate ourselves.

This very forum was a great resource for me as a young individual struggling with loss and trying to feel my way through the minefield of hair restoration. This still exists today with hair restoration not being an exact science in regard to optimal design and surgical planning and therefore whilst we as patients are drawn to different doctors for different reasons. As has been detailed in this thread, much of a doctors signature is his own artistic understanding, interpretation and application.

The conversation and topic of requirement for consultation is one that has been discussed many times before, especially in regard to BHR and Dr. Bisanga as due to clinic protocols and thorough data driven approach, then consultation is requested more often than most.

I share below a thread of discussion that further explains such a consultation driven approach and if the requirement for consultation is a "deal breaker" for a patient, then that is their prerogative and personal choice that we as a clinic respect.

What I would say is that any decision to request or require an in person consultation is never a business or money motivated decision. On the contrary, such an approach adds further "steps" and therefore sometimes challenges prior to being able to schedule surgery. However in an industry that can at times be lacking in ethics, we begin each day knowing that any decision or recommendation for consultation that has been made, has been made in the best interests of the patient and this is an essential part of our protocols and I believe says a lot about the motivations of a clinic.

I could honestly share numerous examples of individuals who have presented reluctance to attend consultation due to them having attended other consultations or being told from photo assessment from other clinics that they appear to be great candidates, but upon consultation, the reality can really be quite different.

Another consideration is not always candidacy, but ensuring the objectives of a patient are inline with that of their doctor. 

Hairline design is based on many factors. This includes the standard considerations such as age, extent of loss, progressive loss, medication, stabilisation, miniaturisation, donor density, hair groupings etc.
Other important and influential considerations are the facial shape of the patient, bone structure, distance between key facial features (I attached a video below).

Photographs alone are not able to present through understanding or attainment of data in regard to many of the above points. Therefore Dr. Bisanga is not able to guarantee a particular hairline design until he has had the opportunity to meet in person with the patient. 

If a patients objectives and the doctors vision and what he/she may feel is most appropriate is not aligned or the donor will not safely provide graft demands for example, then travelling for surgery to find out that your preferred design will not be considered may be a further "deal breaker" for some patients. Only at this stage when at the clinic for surgery, it is far from ideal and would undoubtedly be a very anxious and negative experience.

Edited by Raphael84
  • Like 3

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

3 hours ago, Raphael84 said:

Great discussion is what this community is all about. To provide a platform to question approaches, experiences, reasoning and to better educate ourselves.

This very forum was a great resource for me as a young individual struggling with loss and trying to feel my way through the minefield of hair restoration. This still exists today with hair restoration not being an exact science in regard to optimal design and surgical planning and therefore whilst we as patients are drawn to different doctors for different reasons. As has been detailed in this thread, much of a doctors signature is his own artistic understanding, interpretation and application.

The conversation and topic of requirement for consultation is one that has been discussed many times before, especially in regard to BHR and Dr. Bisanga as due to clinic protocols and thorough data driven approach, then consultation is requested more often than most.

I share below a thread of discussion that further explains such a consultation driven approach and if the requirement for consultation is a "deal breaker" for a patient, then that is their prerogative and personal choice that we as a clinic respect.

What I would say is that any decision to request or require an in person consultation is never a business or money motivated decision. On the contrary, such an approach adds further "steps" and therefore sometimes challenges prior to being able to schedule surgery. However in an industry that can at times be lacking in ethics, we begin each day knowing that any decision or recommendation for consultation that has been made, has been made in the best interests of the patient and this is an essential part of our protocols and I believe says a lot about the motivations of a clinic.

I could honestly share numerous examples of individuals who have presented reluctance to attend consultation due to them having attended other consultations or being told from photo assessment from other clinics that they appear to be great candidates, but upon consultation, the reality can really be quite different.

Another consideration is not always candidacy, but ensuring the objectives of a patient are inline with that of their doctor. 

Hairline design is based on many factors. This includes the standard considerations such as age, extent of loss, progressive loss, medication, stabilisation, miniaturisation, donor density, hair groupings etc.
Other important and influential considerations are the facial shape of the patient, bone structure, distance between key facial features (I attached a video below).

Photographs alone are not able to present through understanding or attainment of data in regard to many of the above points. Therefore Dr. Bisanga is not able to guarantee a particular hairline design until he has had the opportunity to meet in person with the patient. 

If a patients objectives and the doctors vision and what he/she may feel is most appropriate is not aligned or the donor will not safely provide graft demands for example, then travelling for surgery to find out that your preferred design will not be considered may be a further "deal breaker" for some patients. Only at this stage when at the clinic for surgery, it is far from ideal and would undoubtedly be a very anxious and negative experience.

Great video. As for the consultations, I definitely respect the logic. I think if Dr. Bisanga can come to the US (or whenever he has a large amount of patients) at least a couple times a year for consultations then that is a reasonable requirement. For me flying to Belgium just for a consultation would really be difficult and hard to justify, but I am more than happy to drive 3.5 hours. 

2 hours ago, Savemyhairline said:

Great video. As for the consultations, I definitely respect the logic. I think if Dr. Bisanga can come to the US (or whenever he has a large amount of patients) at least a couple times a year for consultations then that is a reasonable requirement. For me flying to Belgium just for a consultation would really be difficult and hard to justify, but I am more than happy to drive 3.5 hours. 

This right here.  For me, I would have to fly from CA to MD just for a consult.  

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Raphael84 said:

Great post 🙏🏼

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

@Savemyhairline,

I don’t know if you saw my initial post, but I will present it again below. If you would like to set up a 1 on 1 information session with Dr. Rahal, I’d be happy to set that up for you. Just send me a private message. I’m also here to help and answer any questions you might have.  

—-

Save my hairline,

From the photos you presented you look like a good candidate for surgery.  Having been a participating member of the forums (this one in particular) for almost 20 years, I can tell you that I’ve king been impressed with Dr. Rahal, his results and his devotion to his patients.   I only started working formally with his clinic several months ago but I’ve worked with him in other ways for almost as long as I’ve been a member here.  I’ve met and spoken to him in person several times and have met several of his patients before they’ve undergone surgery and after their results have grown in.  I’ve always been highly impressed with him.

If you are interested in a one in one session with Dr. Rahal to discuss your situation and how he can meet your hair restoration goals, please send me a PM and I’ll go ahead and get that setup for you.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

10 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@Savemyhairline,

I don’t know if you saw my initial post, but I will present it again below. If you would like to set up a 1 on 1 information session with Dr. Rahal, I’d be happy to set that up for you. Just send me a private message. I’m also here to help and answer any questions you might have.  

—-

Save my hairline,

From the photos you presented you look like a good candidate for surgery.  Having been a participating member of the forums (this one in particular) for almost 20 years, I can tell you that I’ve king been impressed with Dr. Rahal, his results and his devotion to his patients.   I only started working formally with his clinic several months ago but I’ve worked with him in other ways for almost as long as I’ve been a member here.  I’ve met and spoken to him in person several times and have met several of his patients before they’ve undergone surgery and after their results have grown in.  I’ve always been highly impressed with him.

If you are interested in a one in one session with Dr. Rahal to discuss your situation and how he can meet your hair restoration goals, please send me a PM and I’ll go ahead and get that setup for you.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

I had one with Tara a few weeks back, she was very helpful, though I am likely leaning to go to a different clinic mainly due to more recent results being posted. I’ll let you know if something changes though, thanks 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2022 at 12:42 PM, Savemyhairline said:

Thank you, though I believe currently I am more in the NW3-3.5 range when you factor in the thinning. My hair is clean in these photos, when it is oily/sweaty you can see even more thinning in the frontal third. I do have fine hair so sometimes it is hard to tell what is diffuse thinning and what is just the result of my fine hair. For example Tom Hardy is supposedly not balding, yet sometimes I see his scalp and think it looks thinner than mine. His hairline is way lower though. I’ve been on fin for a little over a year with no sides so I will continue.

Everyone’s hair looks thinner and worse when it’s oily imo. Because the hair will clump together