NW3-ish 4800-graft FUE with Dr Hasson in Vancouver, Canada

On 6/19/2022 at 7:45 PM, nicoandgello said:

Dr Hasson went full retard with the graft count yet again. Will someone stop this man? I doubt it. 

The work looks clean anyway and Im positive you will get a decent result.

Has this been a trend with this doctor? I'm shocked to hear since his reputation is so good.

On 7/6/2022 at 4:13 AM, Jon2345 said:

My 2 cents

" One thing that surprised me: I was expecting them to extract from the back of my head, but they used both sides as donor instead."

I feel this should have been communicated.

" I'm not entirely sure why, but the anaesthetic was not nearly as effective and the pain was pretty bad. I kept asking to stop over and over.

We got to about 1800 grafts and I was dying (it hurt so much I broke down), and was given some oral pain medication that helped sedate me and reduce the pain to a manageable level. It hurt, but I did the final 500 in one session and focused on the end result. It was long and sucked, but when it was done it was done."
"
This sucked to read. They ever figure out what went wrong?

I'm more of a person that finds a doctor that is highly recommended and goes in trusting they'll do an excellent job. I think the clinic could do more with discussing the procedure beforehand (and as others pointed out, would be nice to have a follow-up).

We never really figured out the issue with the pain. While it was unpleasant, now that it's almost a month in the past I can look back and say it was worth it. I may have just been an extra sensitive person on the pain scale. I cannot say for sure because this is my only real surgery in my life (aside from wisdom teeth that I was knocked out for).

I can say that I'm very happy with the results so far. Looking forward to seeing it further down the line

A small update from approx four weeks later: no major shedding yet, the redness and skin damage have pretty much entirely disappeared.

I think I have about 80-90% of the hairs that were transplanted in place. Not a lot of info out there on why shedding wouldn't be happening yet.

Man o boy, I would have to say this is uncharacteristic of Hassan. So much so that I may almost believe that the review is not quite accurate, but my instinct is that everything your are saying is true. And for that I may have to stop giving Hassan along my very top recommendations, due to that there are also a very solid number of other very solid doctors, and good communication and taking patient concern is something that should be a criteria for a top doc. I wonder what has gotten into Hassan. Maybe he let his artistic drive let him get the better of him. The pain during surgery is also a wtf. But no doubt, you'll come out looking like a rock star. Here's to an awesome year of transformations.

11 minutes ago, Jon2345 said:

Man o boy, I would have to say this is uncharacteristic of Hassan. So much so that I may almost believe that the review is not quite accurate, but my instinct is that everything your are saying is true. And for that I may have to stop giving Hassan along my very top recommendations, due to that there are also a very solid number of other very solid doctors, and good communication and taking patient concern is something that should be a criteria for a top doc. I wonder what has gotten into Hassan. Maybe he let his artistic drive let him get the better of him. The pain during surgery is also a wtf. But no doubt, you'll come out looking like a rock star. Here's to an awesome year of transformations.

It's entirely possible that I am too passive of a patient and others who have more active interest in the details of the surgery, and that the pain was just because I'm more sensitive and I'd have that painful experience with any doctor. I don't think that it should discourage anyone from looking at Dr Hasson.

In fact I'd still recommend him on my experience. I just wanted a fully transparent review of the good and bad.

The results so far have been amazing and I realize it's a lot of money but a high likelihood of an excellent result was part of the reason why I chose him.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Nurses take over said:

My questions is did nurses take over after Dr. Hasson finished performing the incisons ? 

He did the hairline and incisions. The nurses did the remainder, as far as I remember. The staff was excellent: even the nurses doing the hair washes felt extremely qualified.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update from about five weeks in. The shedding started about two weeks ago and all that beautiful transplant hair is popping out with the little telltale J shape. It's officially ugly duckling season for the next few months.

I got the go-ahead to get a hair cut (apparently waiting two weeks is all Dr Hasson wants) and I'm considering buzzing it down while things start to grow out.

Any recommendations for ugly phase haircuts?

The photo below isn't a flattering angle, but it really shows the contrast between day 1 hair (the front), day 2 hair (just behind), and my existing hair on top.

2022-07-20 19.42.53 copy.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ablurker said:

Any recommendations for ugly phase haircuts?

keeping it short and cropped works for me. 

Longer than a bootcamp recruit, but short enough where it is still "buzzed"

You just have to face the facts man you will not have male model hair between months 2-3. 

If you want, now is a fantastic time to get your hat fashion on. Wear some killer fashionable hats and you don't have to worry what's underneath. 

Edited by HappyMan2021
  • Like 1

I’m still in disbelief about the amount of grafts used for that area, hasson has produced some excellent results . My only objection with him is all his excellent cases have used more grafts than you would think would be needed. Now is that to compensate for the grafts  due to low yield ? I don’t know , but when you see konoir , couto and bisanga achieve results with way less grafts, you got to ask these questions.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I sure hope I've reached peak-ugly-duckling about two months in...

I can understand why you just don't see that many pictures from this phase. 24/7 hat time! Redness is fading quite a bit, but sometimes it's pretty evident as seen below. As the hairs grow in you get this bonus redness as well: like teething for your hair.

See everyone in a month!

2012737119_2022-08-1215_49_08.thumb.jpg.bfde0d77556803c67bd157b06fdc71a5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not so sure it's such a large  number of grafts for the area covered.  I think the post op pics are a bit more revealing of the situation.  The front and mid scalp were addressed with 4800 grafts and probably will be a one and done pass.  Most patients require a touch up in the hairline and further back or even a  second pass to achieve decent coverage.

I also think that the OP was closer to a NW 4 than a NW 3.  

I still feel the number of grafts is on the high side but i would consider it a success if the results ended in a 1 and done procedure.

Regarding Couto, Freitas, Eugenix etc i've seen them work wonders with a cansiderably lower number, yes.  However sometimes i feel the results are a little misleading regarding lighting and may lead to false expectations / misleading judgment.  Still, the results are amongst the best in the industry.

Just my two cents,

Saludos!

• Administrators

The fun starts now, the ugly duckling phase will soon be over. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

What a difference two weeks makes...

Still too many bald-ish patches to really go hatless or get a haircut yet. I'm occasionally trimming the the hair to keep it from getting too crazy long as well. Redness has dropped quite a bit and it's more of a pinkish hue around the hairline that gets red when I shower.

The numbness in the scalp is improving slowly. I expected that the nerves would heal front to back or vice versa, but instead they appear to be healing from the side. The numb patch is basically a strip down the middle of the top of my head now.

I am really temped to have a barber do a buzz at a 3 all over to clean up the length but I'm doing my best to stay patient and just "let it grow".

847768591_2022-08-3110_23.07copy.thumb.jpg.8557da5de96ab67232860a622b60efbc.jpg

• Like 1

I feel that on the number 3 shave it all down. I usually cut my own hair and I’m so tempted to cut it all off. But I’m really waiting it out, I’m hoping to at least get to month 6 before cutting anything just so I can see how my hair develops. 

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

1 hour ago, ablurker said:

I am really temped to have a barber do a buzz at a 3 all over to clean up the length

Im in the ugly duckling stage myself and have been getting a #3 buzzcut every 2-3 weeks. I plan on doing this until growth actually starts in month 4 and is not just stubble or super thin baby hair

-it looks better than having a weird red and patchy hairline but normal looking mid and back of scalp. 

-it also really helps with the obsession and not thinking about the hair. 

It's a lot harder to ruminate and obsess about hair when its buzzed down

1 hour ago, HappyMan2021 said:

Im in the ugly duckling stage myself and have been getting a #3 buzzcut every 2-3 weeks. I plan on doing this until growth actually starts in month 4 and is not just stubble or super thin baby hair

-it looks better than having a weird red and patchy hairline but normal looking mid and back of scalp. 

-it also really helps with the obsession and not thinking about the hair. 

It's a lot harder to ruminate and obsess about hair when its buzzed down

Have you got it done from Eugenix India (Gurgaon) ?

• 2 weeks later...

Finally at the 3 month mark! I'm watching things so closely it feels like it's been longer.

You can start to see it thickening around the hairline. The redness is mostly faded but occasionally flares up. I can't exactly put a finger on what triggers it.

Lots of ingrowns too. This is one of the least ingrown days I've had the last couple of weeks. I really can't wait to see the hair here grow out more.

Every couple of weeks I'm doing a rough buzz of my whole head to keep things from getting too long everywhere else.

sept.thumb.jpg.759e85a89c5fe06d1a52d0a79a7f7e29.jpg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ablurker said:

Finally at the 3 month mark! I'm watching things so closely it feels like it's been longer.

You can start to see it thickening around the hairline. The redness is mostly faded but occasionally flares up. I can't exactly put a finger on what triggers it.

Lots of ingrowns too. This is one of the least ingrown days I've had the last couple of weeks. I really can't wait to see the hair here grow out more.

Every couple of weeks I'm doing a rough buzz of my whole head to keep things from getting too long everywhere else.

sept.thumb.jpg.759e85a89c5fe06d1a52d0a79a7f7e29.jpg

Oh man it’s only about to start. It feels super bad now I bet but once you get your results it’s going to be hard to remember what you’re feeling now. 

im excited for you man. Thanks for keeping us posted!

• Like 1

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

• 2 weeks later...

Things are definitely thickening up. There's a few patches are seeing as much growth as I like, but I'm hoping those are just dormant a little longer.

Considering how much growth there is week-to-week, I'm feeling optimistic about the end results. This is 3 months + 1 week.

I'm dying for a haircut but it's going to be tough to get this current mess looking good until it thickens in a few more places.

368991477_2022-09-2415_24_20.thumb.jpg.28fc6ff340eb80e08b7a4541dadd4059.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...