NW3-ish 4800-graft FUE with Dr Hasson in Vancouver, Canada

1 minute ago, Savemyhairline said:

Sorry didn’t reply to you directly, see above

thank you for sharing. so many people on here want to discuss HT at a certain clinic but then never want to share the costs of the clinics. 

2 hours ago, Savemyhairline said:

Thanks for sharing. I just got my email consultation back from them and they recommended I get 3,000 grafts FUE for my case. It was higher than the other doctors so far have recommended (typically in the 1500-2500) but not excessively. 4,800 does seem like an extreme amount for your case. They are one of my top choices I’m considering, if I go through with them that price is gonna be a beast for 3k grafts, if you’re price/graft quote was similar to mine then man you really paid handsomely. My hairline for reference on their 3k recommendation:

E152D51B-A8D1-4F8C-871B-C6589F296625.jpeg

88BF29DD-FD0A-447E-96F7-FC409C99168D.jpeg

What are your goals? It looks like 2,500 grafts would be enough and would bring your hairline down appropriately too. 

40 minutes ago, Buck Naked said:

What are your goals? It looks like 2,500 grafts would be enough and would bring your hairline down appropriately too. 

I would like to establish a solid frontal third. I am a diffuse thinner, though fin/min have helped my mid scalp crown significantly. No surgeon I have consulted with so far has recommended Grafts for my mid scalp crown and I can live with it for now, so really that frontal third is what I am looking to solidify. I am more than okay with doing 3k grafts to get a good frontal third, there are just a couple other concerns I have with H&W right now. There is another patient review on here that is making me second guess their follow up procedures as well as them over harvesting. For the amount of money they charge, I am really expecting among the best. There are a handful of others I am considering/waiting to hear back before I make the final decision on which clinic.

13 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

nice. maybe since you are in your earley 40s and only a NW3, that seems like super stable and a minimal case of MPB. So he felt comfortable with the really high graft count. 

I think so. I had "really good" donor hair, but I don't have the exact count. I've always had the high hairline and I really just wanted to have a strong hairline for the next 20-30 years to look in the mirror at. I know that I'll thin a bit more on top genetically, but TBH I don't feel as self-conscious about the thinning top.

17 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

I agree. looks like OP does not have crown loss and no work was done on the temple points. 

OP has thick hair and getting 4800 grafts as a NW3 just to restore the hairline and temples really does seem like a ton....

@ablurker did Hasson tell you what the density is?

I don't recall if I ever got the number directly, but it was described as being very suitable

17 hours ago, 12345 said:

can you share the cost also?this has to be the price of a new car 

2 hours ago, Savemyhairline said:

“Our FUE fee schedule is $8.00 USD ($6.00 for FUT) per graft for the first 2000 grafts and $6.00 USD ($4.00 for FUT) for each graft above 2,000 plus a 5% tax. For our out of town patients that receive 2,000 grafts or more we will credit the procedure $400.00”

im in the US, willing to travel almost anywhere

It was pricey, but they were very transparent about the cost (including starting with the calculator on the website).

When I was considering practitioners, my main factors were risk/reliability/quality and North American location and Hasson was the top choice for me. It's been a while so I don't recall the other ones I considered.

The calculator link: https://hassonandwong.com/hair-transplant-surgery/hair-transplant-cost/

Edited by ablurker

3 minutes ago, Savemyhairline said:

I would like to establish a solid frontal third. I am a diffuse thinner, though fin/min have helped my mid scalp crown significantly. No surgeon I have consulted with so far has recommended Grafts for my mid scalp crown and I can live with it for now, so really that frontal third is what I am looking to solidify. I am more than okay with doing 3k grafts to get a good frontal third, there are just a couple other concerns I have with H&W right now. There is another patient review on here that is making me second guess their follow up procedures as well as them over harvesting. For the amount of money they charge, I am really expecting among the best. There are a handful of others I am considering/waiting to hear back before I make the final decision on which clinic.

Which is the other review? I thought that the after care was good (though I feel like more formal education would have been nice). I spent three extra days in Vancouver basically grilling the nurses doing my hairwash and got lots of information there.

It might have also been nice to have a prophylactic steroid dose to avoid the swelling, or some better education around that. In my case I did some research, avoided sodium and drank as much water as I could force my body to drink and it went down in 1/3 the time the nurses suggested it would.

11 minutes ago, ablurker said:

Which is the other review? I thought that the after care was good (though I feel like more formal education would have been nice). I spent three extra days in Vancouver basically grilling the nurses doing my hairwash and got lots of information there.

It might have also been nice to have a prophylactic steroid dose to avoid the swelling, or some better education around that. In my case I did some research, avoided sodium and drank as much water as I could force my body to drink and it went down in 1/3 the time the nurses suggested it would.

This one. It was more of Dr. Hasson not corresponding with the patient ideally and his goals/expectations not properly being addressed during the procedure. Though again, it’s just a concern and not an elimination. It’s still very early on for him and the result may still look great.

40 minutes ago, Savemyhairline said:

This one. It was more of Dr. Hasson not corresponding with the patient ideally and his goals/expectations not properly being addressed during the procedure. Though again, it’s just a concern and not an elimination. It’s still very early on for him and the result may still look great.

Nordster had a lot more hairloss, not as stable, younger, and did not have a good donor to begin with and fine hair to boot.. Ablurker has minimal hairloss, its stable, and fabulous donor with thick hair, so its not really a fair comparison. 

What is comparable though is that many more grafts were used in each case than expected. But for the above reasons, in my opinion this shouldnt really have a negative impact on Ablurker. 

Edited by HappyMan2021

10 minutes ago, Savemyhairline said:

Interesting. I understand some of the complaints, but I think I probably trusted Dr Hasson with my hairline more (I told him very rough goals and gave him the thumbs up at the end to his hairline). It took a long time to draw the hairline. I think we were there for about 30 minutes sketching on my forehead.

4 minutes ago, ablurker said:

Interesting. I understand some of the complaints, but I think I probably trusted Dr Hasson with my hairline more (I told him very rough goals and gave him the thumbs up at the end to his hairline). It took a long time to draw the hairline. I think we were there for about 30 minutes sketching on my forehead.

did Dr. Hasson at least meet for you for a bit when the surgery was over? One of the most surprising and to me justified upsetting things is that Nordster paid $35k for surgery and on Day 2 he only saw Hasson briefly in the morning when the doctor was guiding the techs. When Day 2 wrapped up for Nordster, he was just kind of unceremoniously booted from the clinic. No post op conversation with Hasson or anything. When you are paying tens of thousands of dollars I really would expect some type of post-op review with the doc. 

I'm sure this had zero impact on his results, but I really would have expected at minimum Hasson to swing by and at least have a "cookie cutter boilerplate celebration its over" convo. 

45 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

did Dr. Hasson at least meet for you for a bit when the surgery was over? One of the most surprising and to me justified upsetting things is that Nordster paid $35k for surgery and on Day 2 he only saw Hasson briefly in the morning when the doctor was guiding the techs. When Day 2 wrapped up for Nordster, he was just kind of unceremoniously booted from the clinic. No post op conversation with Hasson or anything. When you are paying tens of thousands of dollars I really would expect some type of post-op review with the doc. 

I'm sure this had zero impact on his results, but I really would have expected at minimum Hasson to swing by and at least have a "cookie cutter boilerplate celebration its over" convo. 

This was missing for sure. I think it might have been nice to have a sit-down with him, even if it's just a cheers to "we made it". I spoke to him briefly afterward, but it was mainly a passing conversation in the waiting room.

I will say that the staff were excellent, however, so it's not great that you don't sit down with him but you still get lots of useful info.

I'd probably recommend to their team that they schedule a debrief the next day right after the hair washing. That way you're not sedated and usually feeling pretty good having slept hard off the zopiclone.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 2:53 PM, ablurker said:

Figured I'd jump in here. I gave Dr. Hasson some very rough guidance on what I wanted (a subtle, refined hairline upgrade that wouldn't look out of place 20 years from now). I told him pretty explicitly that he's the expert and I'd trust his guidance on how the hairline should look, which is exactly what I did. What was surprising for me is that the hairline I received (and especially the temples) is not only different than what I envisioned, but different than the blue outline that was sketched out prior to the procedure. Feel free to check out all the pics and let me know if you think I'm offbase, but the temple placement and angularity of the hairline itself seem way more aggressive than what was sketched out.

WTF ?? 4800 grafts for someone who is barely a Norwood 3 with decent hair caliber is EXTREMELY exagerated. This is crazy ! 

The average donor has 7000 grafts available for FUE before it starts to look really moth-eaten. 

What will happen in the future if you start losing hair on the midscalp and crown ? 

Finasteride is by no means a cure for hairloss. It just slow down the rate of progression miniaturization. 

Dr. Hasson was very agressive with the graft count. 

Did they explain why they quoted 3000 initially and then later changed to almost 5000 JUST for the hairline ?...

I hope these 4800 grafts will grow with a survival rate of at least 90% otherwise....

These methods remind me of Hair of Istanbul and NowHairTime...

Edited by Hope everything is NOVA
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, SilentUser said:

I don't think it is that exaggerated. It sure is a lot of grafts but considering his age, no crown loss, I think it is ok. I also don't see a NW3 here. Basically his whole frontal third was gone

I agree. NW3 was what they officially stated in the quote but I believed it was more. I didn't get an official final NW rating from before but the hair in front was extremely thin. My pre-existing high hairline also seems to have drastically exaggerated whatever NW rating I was, so we were repairing that as well.

I have a FUE with Dr. Hasson coming up in a couple of months, and the anesthetic injections are what scare me most. Your day 1 write up had me feeling super good, but then when I got to day 2... all my fears were reestablished haha. That sounds like intense pain!!! 

On 6/22/2022 at 2:19 PM, Scream said:

I have a FUE with Dr. Hasson coming up in a couple of months, and the anesthetic injections are what scare me most. Your day 1 write up had me feeling super good, but then when I got to day 2... all my fears were reestablished haha. That sounds like intense pain!!! 

I think my pain was unusual. The second day is definitely harder but I'm a big wuss when it comes to pain and even I survived it. I was very tempted to skip the last 500 grafts but some strong tablet pain meds helped and I made it through.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the pain is mostly in the morning during extraction. Once you're numbed, additional anaesthetic tends to be pretty painless and they can give that to you any time you say it's starting to hurt.

Also, you get zopiclone to zone you out a bit which is really helpful to disassociate from the fear and pain, lol.

Edited by ablurker

2 hours ago, ablurker said:

I think my pain was unusual. The second day is definitely harder but I'm a big wuss when it comes to pain and even I survived it. I was very tempted to skip the last 500 grafts but some strong tablet pain meds helped and I made it through.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the pain is mostly in the morning during extraction. Once you're numbed, additional anaesthetic tends to be pretty painless and they can give that to you any time you say it's starting to hurt.

Also, you get zopiclone to zone you out a bit which is really helpful to disassociate from the fear and pain, lol.

What would you rate the pain on a 1-10 scale for both days? I am also a bit of a wuss with a low tolerance for pain. It is reassuring to hear from someone who just went through it though, so thank you for including those details.

On another note, did you find Dr. Hasson to be open to YOUR opinion on the graft count? I read a lot that he tends to go on the higher end, and I might want to stick with the lower end, just incase I need another one in the future.

4 hours ago, Scream said:

What would you rate the pain on a 1-10 scale for both days? I am also a bit of a wuss with a low tolerance for pain. It is reassuring to hear from someone who just went through it though, so thank you for including those details.

On another note, did you find Dr. Hasson to be open to YOUR opinion on the graft count? I read a lot that he tends to go on the higher end, and I might want to stick with the lower end, just incase I need another one in the future.

The first day was 1-2 on the pain scale and I honestly fell asleep during most of it. The second day of extraction had a bit around 5-6, but the additional anaesthetic and pain meds really helped. If I can do it (as a pain wuss myself), you can definitely do it too! I made the mistake of only taking half of a dosage of pain medication that was offered to me.

Remember the end result. It's 100% worth it.

Edited by ablurker

20 hours ago, ablurker said:

The first day was 1-2 on the pain scale and I honestly fell asleep during most of it. The second day of extraction had a bit around 5-6, but the additional anaesthetic and pain meds really helped. If I can do it (as a pain wuss myself), you can definitely do it too! I made the mistake of only taking half of a dosage of pain medication that was offered to me.

Remember the end result. It's 100% worth it.

Thank you for this. Really helpful to hear encouraging words from someone who went to the same Doctor I will be seeing. I will be sure to take the full dosage of pain medication. I wonder why your first day was so much less painful than your second. Nevertheless, I am so glad you made it through. The pain makes me incredibly nervous, but hopefully I can manage. Is there any kind of blood test beforehand?

If I may ask some follow ups.. how much say did you have in the hairline design and graft count? Obviously he is the expert, and I'll likely listen to his opinion, but if we don't see eye to eye, I am hopeful I am able to play the graft count more conservatively if I select to do so! 

And as for your travel day.. since I will also be flying to and from Vancouver, how likely is it that I can wear a loose hat a couple days after the procedure to fly home? I just feel like I will be so self conscious flying home that I will want something to cover my head that won't damage the grafts.

I'm looking forward to following your journey!!! Happy growing my friend! 

Just now, Scream said:

went to the same Doctor I will be seeing. I will be sure to take the full dosage of pain medication. I wonder why your first day was so much less painful than your second. Nevertheless, I am so glad you made it through. The pain makes me incredibly nervous, but hopefully I can manage. Is there any kind of blood test beforehand?

If I may ask some follow ups.. how much say did you have in the hairline design and graft count? Obviously he is the expert, and I'll likely listen to his opinion, but if we don't see eye to eye, I am hopeful I am able to play the graft count more conservatively if I select to do so! 

And as for your travel day.. since I will also be flying to and from Vancouver, how likely is it that I can wear a loose hat a couple days after the procedure to fly home? I just feel like I will be so self conscious flying home that I will want something to cover

I put 100% of my trust into Dr Hasson, so I didn't question the graft count or shape or anything. I really don't know what the experience is like if you have really strong opinions, but other threads suggest the patients end up a bit less happy. I really just wanted to enjoy an age-appropriate hairline (it's actually the most hair I've had in my life) so my experience is going to be different than others.

They'll give you a plain black to fly home in. You'll be paranoid about bumping your head and it'll itch, lol, but the hat will cover up all the mess. If you can extend your stay to 3 beyond the end of the procedure, you'll have a much better time. I still had puffed up eyes on day 2 after! The after-care from the nurses there is top notch and having them wash the grafts for most of the implant healing time was very reassuring to me.

12 days post recovery and the crusts and dry skin are virtually all gone. Some shedding has begun, but it's pretty minimal overall so far. I'm loving where things are right now and I'm going to be a bit sad to wait the 6-8 months for this to fully grow back.

I don't ever plan on having a buzz cut like this, but I'm probably going to rock this for a bit, at least until I get some regrowth in front to style.

The post-care has been pretty light touch. I send email updates with pictures of my scalp and get updated care instructions with more and more aggressive care (adding gentle finger pressure, soaking, towel drying).

562596199_2022-06-2717_49_58.jpg.e4ce2af9f60dece3813df03897a122a9.jpg538443936_2022-06-2717_53_40.jpg.d78fda4ea293e657593b3c64c8aaddb8.jpg222705914_2022-06-2717_53_46.jpg.e83692f61a3b0b3785b5ea8b12f7f8d9.jpg

My updates will probably slow down here as the shedding and regrowth phase starts, but things are looking good two weeks in. The area in front that was transplanted on the first day appears to be growing, but part of me wonders if that's just the graft settling in and and inflammation going down (revealing more of the hair shaft). If it has grown, it's not nearly as fast as the hair on the side has grown in the same amount of time.

There's a bit of redness in front, but I've been taking my hat off indoors and enjoying the look of a full hairline and nobody bats an eye. If I had my hair buzzed again I don't think anyone would see anything.

Any ideas when I should expect the shedding to start? I keep thinking I'll take a shower one day and it'll just be a hair massacre. Does it happen slowly or all at once?

2110451786_twoweeks.thumb.jpg.8cd936adfa53eba11e80799082e78509.jpg

My 2 cents

" One thing that surprised me: I was expecting them to extract from the back of my head, but they used both sides as donor instead."

I feel this should have been communicated.

" I'm not entirely sure why, but the anaesthetic was not nearly as effective and the pain was pretty bad. I kept asking to stop over and over.

We got to about 1800 grafts and I was dying (it hurt so much I broke down), and was given some oral pain medication that helped sedate me and reduce the pain to a manageable level. It hurt, but I did the final 500 in one session and focused on the end result. It was long and sucked, but when it was done it was done."
"
This sucked to read. They ever figure out what went wrong?