Is city tap water safe after HT ?

Hello friends, 

I am 1.5 month post-op and wondering if city tap water is safe for using after HT since it contains chlorine and other minerals or should I buy water filter for softenening water??

Can tap water negatively affect transplanted follicles?

I will highly appreciate your comments. 

Thank you.

• Administrators

Tap water is fine. 

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Moderators

Tap water is different everywhere you go. It's probably a good idea to filter it anyway even if you didn't have a hair transplant, so just go ahead and get a filter.

• Thanks 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

22 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

Tap water is different everywhere you go. It's probably a good idea to filter it anyway even if you didn't have a hair transplant, so just go ahead and get a filter.

Today I made an order for a water filter. My only regret is not doing it right after hair transplant. 

Thanks for your reply.

Like has been said, tap water is fine especially for cleansing. Do your best to relax and take it easy, stress management is more important than tap vs filtered water.

• Thanks 1

You would be amazed at what is involved in the purification process of tap water to make it consumable…so if it’s relatively safe to drink, then it’s safe for your grafts…and you can certainly add filtration as many choose to do.

If you drink tap water, it’s also a good idea to purchase your own test kit just to check for possible higher levels of ammonia, lead, radon, things like that…because filters have to be changed routinely at the public water processing plants… and other issues can arise…I quit drinking tap water decades ago but obviously use it for bathing and washing. 

Edited by gillenator
Correct grammar
  • Thanks 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY