Looking to get a hair transplant. Most likely in NYC.

On 6/9/2022 at 3:01 PM, civic said:

I would not worry about pictures. Once Bernstein sees you, he will tell you exactly what is best, he has a no nonesense approach, very honest.

Bernstein told me my donor is pretty good. He said a lot of my hair is still there its just mico sized. He said the meds should work really well for me and to come back in a year.

On 6/2/2022 at 10:38 PM, user13 said:

Hi All,

I am new here. Stumbled upon the site while conducting research on hair transplants. I have been debating getting one for a few years. I am 33 and my mother's side has a history of hair loss. I have been thinning for about 10 years now. It seems to have slowed a bit over the last 3 years or so. I do not use any medication.

I had a consultation with Dr. Bloxham on LI about 2 years ago. He said I am a good candidate and recommended FUT and said that I would need about 3K grafts. He also said that I have a strong tuft in the center and may need another surgery in the future if that falls out eventually.

The reason I did not do it right always is because I am somewhat concerned with the FUT procedure and the scar.

I just would like to get some additional feedback as its a really big decision. Also can anyone recommend any other doctors in NY?

2022-06-024.jpg

2022-06-025.jpg

2022-06-023.jpg

2022-06-022.jpg

2022-06-02.jpg

You are grade 3V on the Norwood Hamilton scale of baldness.

You shall require:

Frontal zone: 2500 to 2700 grafts

Crown: medications can be of help

You have reverse thinning in your donor area.

Finasteride can help in prolonging baldness, sustaining transplanted hair as well as preserving the donor area. You can take finasteride for a couple pf ontha and then observe its results and (if) its side effects in your case. Then accordingly you can decide whether to take finasteride or not. In some cases the baldness progresses even with the use of finasteride but it is very rare. You should see if you are a good candidate to take finasteride.

You've done the very best thing you can do: consult in-person with recommended doctors. If you aren't sure about Dr Bloxham's comments based on posts here, consult with Wesley or True & Dorin in person too.

• Like 1

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

12 hours ago, TommyLucchese said:

You've done the very best thing you can do: consult in-person with recommended doctors. If you aren't sure about Dr Bloxham's comments based on posts here, consult with Wesley or True & Dorin in person too.

How is the minoxidil max?

The drs recomended i take the pill but i think I just want to do topical

They're great - quick service and the products work. Some people are sceptical about where the products come from ...possibly an unknown lab in china that gets redistributed from the US.....but people on other hairloss forums paid to have the products lab tested privately and it all came back legit. I've used monixdil max for nearly 2 years now and am a happy customer.

• Like 1

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

• Valued Contributor

@user13 have you only had one assessment with Dr Bloxham? I would consider taking your time and have consultations with other elite surgeons also. There is a list of them here. You want to find a surgeon who turns out consistently great results that are in line with your goals with patients who have a similar hair loss to yourself. You should also speak with your doctor about finasteride (and minoxidil) to strengthen your hair. Some people get great results from medication and it will put you in a stronger position when it comes to surgery. Bare in mind that these are medications that you need to take for life or else any gains will be lost once you stop the meds. All the best!

On 7/2/2022 at 1:55 AM, Gatsby said:

@user13 have you only had one assessment with Dr Bloxham? I would consider taking your time and have consultations with other elite surgeons also. There is a list of them here. You want to find a surgeon who turns out consistently great results that are in line with your goals with patients who have a similar hair loss to yourself. You should also speak with your doctor about finasteride (and minoxidil) to strengthen your hair. Some people get great results from medication and it will put you in a stronger position when it comes to surgery. Bare in mind that these are medications that you need to take for life or else any gains will be lost once you stop the meds. All the best!

Thank for the info.

I did consult with 3 doctors. They all said i would need about 3K grafts. But the consensus is that I go on the meds and then see in a year.

I am looking into topical Finasteride because I am worried about the side effects. Does anyone know where I can get it the cheapest since it is pretty expensive?

Also any positives and negatives of Minoxidil foam vs liquid?

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

That’s great advice. Here in Australia I have taken generic Finasteride for less than a dollar a day. Definitely give Finasteride a good year and you can always stop the drug or lower the dose if you get side effects under your doctor’s advice.  I am using foam topical minoxidil. I just find it easier to apply. Topical liquid minoxidil in some people may cause scalp irritation. It is cheaper than the foam. All the best!

• Like 1

I totally agree with Melvin about waiting on any surgery until you can get your hair loss stabilized with meds, especially low dose finasteride…and the oral form works best IMHO…you can discuss starting on a reduced dosage to help minimize potential side-effects…you have an advanced diffused thinning pattern especially noted in your crown so the sooner you can get started, the better.

You also should have your entire donor zone microscopically examined to see how viable it is…this would be important before making any decisions IMHO.

Dr. Dorin is very talented in both FUE and FUHT…he can also initially discuss getting you started on the hair loss meds.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

1 hour ago, user13 said:

I have been reading about Dutasteride how does that compare to Finasteride

DUT can inhibit both Type I and Type II DHT… finasteride only inhibits Type I.

• Like 1

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

10 minutes ago, gillenator said:

DUT can inhibit both Type I and Type II DHT… finasteride only inhibits Type I.

and there are less side effects apparently? Why does it seems its not spoken about in the same volume as finasteride

19 minutes ago, gillenator said:

I totally agree with Melvin about waiting on any surgery until you can get your hair loss stabilized with meds, especially low dose finasteride…and the oral form works best IMHO…you can discuss starting on a reduced dosage to help minimize potential side-effects…you have an advanced diffused thinning pattern especially noted in your crown so the sooner you can get started, the better.

You also should have your entire donor zone microscopically examined to see how viable it is…this would be important before making any decisions IMHO.

Dr. Dorin is very talented in both FUE and FUHT…he can also initially discuss getting you started on the hair loss meds.

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it

This is the first I have heard of the donor zone microscopically examined. How and where would I get this done?

I plan on getting the meds. I bought Minoxidil-5% liquid and Nizoral.

I am just nervous about oral Finasteride and was looking into topical.

Can I start Minoxidil first to see if I have any reaction to that, then nizoral, and then start oral or topical finasteride in month or so?

Also does the i restore helmet work?

Edited by user13

I suggest you check out the following youtube channels. 

Hairloss Show

Haircafé

MorePlatesMoreDates 

Dr. Oscar Muñoz 

They have all discussed Dutasteride in depth.

Short answer yes it's more potent than Finasteride since it inhibits more types of isoenzymes of the 5AR enzyme. 

Now whether the type 1 that converts T into DHT expressed in the hair follicles is debatable. The scientifical evidence tends to say it's rather type 2. 

Also how much Dutasteride do you need to get maximum DHT supression is another debate. It appears that the standard dose of 0.5mg is not a lot more effective than the standard dose of Finasteride 1mg when it comes to follicular DHT supression specifically. 

At the end of the day, yes Dutasteride is somewhat more effective but probably a bit overhyped. 

I've used 2.5mg daily for 6 months straight. Got no sides but absolutely no regrowth nor thickening of miniaturized natives hair at all !...

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 7/1/2022 at 7:45 PM, user13 said:

Also where can i get Topical Finasteride the cheapest.

You can try it free for a year if you qualify for the Xyonhealth topical.  Check out the podcast I did with Dr. Hasson and Dr. Simon Pimstone. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

19 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

You can try it free for a year if you qualify for the Xyonhealth topical.  Check out the podcast I did with Dr. Hasson and Dr. Simon Pimstone. 

Hey Melvin.

Can i ask what you would recommend for me if I don't want to use oral finasteride? I just see too many people with side effects and I know my body is sensitive maybe ill try it after i have kids one day.

I will start topical minoxidil daily and the fungus shampoo weekly.

I am open to the topical finasteride and will wait for the contest

But other than that, what would you suggest and what did you do when finasteride didnt work for you?

Edited by user13

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, user13 said:

Hey Melvin.

Can i ask what you would recommend for me if I don't want to use oral finasteride? I just see too many people with side effects and I know my body is sensitive maybe ill try it after i have kids one day.

I will start topical minoxidil daily and the fungus shampoo weekly.

I am open to the topical finasteride and will wait for the contest

But other than that, what would you suggest and what did you do when finasteride didnt work for you?

I recommend topical finasteride, oral minoxidil, and nizoral. Aside from that you can also try the laser cap. I’ve been using it for the last few months and I feel it definitely helps. I don’t believe anyone should start on the oral version of fin unless that’s all they can afford. This xyonhealth fin seems to be very effective. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 7/8/2022 at 1:43 PM, user13 said:

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it

This is the first I have heard of the donor zone microscopically examined. How and where would I get this done?

I plan on getting the meds. I bought Minoxidil-5% liquid and Nizoral.

I am just nervous about oral Finasteride and was looking into topical.

Can I start Minoxidil first to see if I have any reaction to that, then nizoral, and then start oral or topical finasteride in month or so?

Also does the i restore helmet work?

Glad to hear that you will be starting on most of these meds, I think you will find them to help and whether you start the topical or the oral form of finasteride, you should benefit from it…Dr. Dorin can discuss doing a microscopic examination of your scalp and honestly just about any experienced HT surgeon can do this for you…the jury is still out for me regarding helmet therapy…there just is not convincing proof regarding them and they are very expensive.

Gillenator