Looking to get a hair transplant. Most likely in NYC.

Hi All,

I am new here. Stumbled upon the site while conducting research on hair transplants. I have been debating getting one for a few years. I am 33 and my mother's side has a history of hair loss. I have been thinning for about 10 years now. It seems to have slowed a bit over the last 3 years or so. I do not use any medication.

I had a consultation with Dr. Bloxham on LI about 2 years ago. He said I am a good candidate and recommended FUT and said that I would need about 3K grafts. He also said that I have a strong tuft in the center and may need another surgery in the future if that falls out eventually.

The reason I did not do it right always is because I am somewhat concerned with the FUT procedure and the scar.

I just would like to get some additional feedback as its a really big decision. Also can anyone recommend any other doctors in NY?

2022-06-024.jpg

2022-06-025.jpg

2022-06-023.jpg

2022-06-022.jpg

2022-06-02.jpg

Edited by user13

• user13 changed the title to Looking to get a hair transplant. Most likely in NYC.
  • Administrators

Take a look at our list of recommendations 

https://hairtransplantnetwork.com/best-hair-transplant-surgeons

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, user13 said:

Thanks!

What are your guys opinion on my current situation?

Donor looks a little weak and your hair loss doesn’t look stable. Get on meds, reconsider surgery after a year. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

6 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Donor looks a little weak and your hair loss doesn’t look stable. Get on meds, reconsider surgery after a year. 

Who do i talk to for meds?

Edited by user13

34 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Also does this mean I should go with FUT and not FUE?

1 hour ago, user13 said:

Theres a couple ways. Try going to your doctor. He can either prescribe them to you or give you a referral to a derm who can prescribe them.

You can also try via online places like Keeps. Beware though it is plan based and it will auto renew unless you cancel. 

They will also try to upsell the crap out of you. Shipping is slow/unreliable. 

Edited by MAIZE1694
  • Like 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, user13 said:

You can purchase minoxidil on Amazon or at any local store like Walmart. Topical finasteride I would get through Xyonhealth or FUEclinic.com. Nizoral you can also buy on Amazon. 

I would not get any type of surgery until you’ve stabilized your hair loss for 6 months to a year. 

• Like 1

View my thread

20 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

You can purchase minoxidil on Amazon or at any local store like Walmart. Topical finasteride I would get through Xyonhealth or FUEclinic.com. Nizoral you can also buy on Amazon. 

I would not get any type of surgery until you’ve stabilized your hair loss for 6 months to a year. 

Okay thanks this is really good advice. I can use all 3? What should my regimen be?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, user13 said:

Okay thanks this is really good advice. I can use all 3? What should my regimen be?

Yes use all three, it’s the Big 3 read this

https://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/topic/how-does-the-big-3-stop-hair-loss/3499

• Like 2

View my thread

Just now, Mike10 said:

Because I would agree with the assessment of the moderator Melvin

Yeah...really kinda bummed now. Thought this would be a simple fix when I was ready to get the surgery.

So i mean what would happen if i got an fut or got it 2 years ago like i considered.

I need to make a game plan now on how to attack this. I cant be bald

the reason they asked you to go on meds and stabilize first is because if you just have an HT, maybe a year after the HT it will look full,
but after that in the coming years, you will still lose hair. HT is simply migrating your hair from donor to the scalp, you will continue to lose hair.

it's like you simply plant more trees in a drying forest without addressing the soil, environment, or nutrition problem.

your donor....unfortunately it's quite see through... meaning either you have low hair count, or it is very fine... it's looking very sparse at wet condition, and in dry condition it's still somewhat see through on some spot.

meds wise, it's a lifelong commitment, not just a month or a year deal. the meds stop you from losing more hair aggresively, but once you're off it, then it will be like a broken dam.

if you think that it's too much work and commitment... sorry to say but most likely you'll be balding without them.

39 minutes ago, mafpe said:

the reason they asked you to go on meds and stabilize first is because if you just have an HT, maybe a year after the HT it will look full,
but after that in the coming years, you will still lose hair. HT is simply migrating your hair from donor to the scalp, you will continue to lose hair.

it's like you simply plant more trees in a drying forest without addressing the soil, environment, or nutrition problem.

your donor....unfortunately it's quite see through... meaning either you have low hair count, or it is very fine... it's looking very sparse at wet condition, and in dry condition it's still somewhat see through on some spot.

meds wise, it's a lifelong commitment, not just a month or a year deal. the meds stop you from losing more hair aggresively, but once you're off it, then it will be like a broken dam.

if you think that it's too much work and commitment... sorry to say but most likely you'll be balding without them.

Completely get it. Do you think my hair loss has slowed?  The top pictures are from yesterday. The following post with pictures are from 2019. They look pretty similar to me.

My hair has always been thin so that makes sense.

Are there any long term effects of any of the meds? Any advantage to doing topically verse oral?

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, user13 said:

Completely get it. Do you think my hair loss has slowed?  The top pictures are from yesterday. The following post with pictures are from 2019. They look pretty similar to me.

Are there any long term effects of any of the meds? Any advantage to doing topically verse oral?

I would definitely go topical. No long term effects that I know of using topicals. 

• Like 1

View my thread

59 minutes ago, user13 said:

can't really say... hopefully yes, it's slowed down and or is stabilized, but you never know. hair loss isn't always progressing in a line like manner, sometime it's erratic with sudden loss or years that it looks like nothing changed. either way, meds would slow them.

hard to say on the side effect, because most people say if even they have any side effect, usually they go away in months after discontinuing the meds. there are those who says they got permanent side, but it can't really be said that it is because of that, perhaps there are other reason, but the blame comes to the med because that's the easiest. i think the rate is like 0.1-3%, so for most people it's worth a try, since it seems if you stop if you feel any sides, it won't be permanent.

topical works, it's not as effective as oral one, but less of it gets into your blood which means most likely less side effect. mind you, that even if topical, it will still go systemic. the meds is absorbed by the scalp/skin, into your body. it's just said to be lesser chance of side effect.

You can try to get 2nd opinion from Dr Bsrnstein in Nyc, he is very good in assessing if you are a proper candidate or not.  Though he charges for consultation it is very well worth to know what your situation is from expert & then decide. I had good experience in my consult with him in 2009, he said not to rush into HT.

couple of things....bloxam/nyc prices are no joke , you are looking at 20K+ ....and bloxam does FUT...so in theory should be able to extract a good amount and then maybe do a 2nd FUE to max results, but also like Melvin likes to say, what are you expectations...good luck

On 6/3/2022 at 1:06 PM, civic said:

You can try to get 2nd opinion from Dr Bsrnstein in Nyc, he is very good in assessing if you are a proper candidate or not.  Though he charges for consultation it is very well worth to know what your situation is from expert & then decide. I had good experience in my consult with him in 2009, he said not to rush into HT.

I booked a consultation with him in a couple of week.

I also had a virtual consultation with Dr. Charles and he said my Donner was was pretty decent 6-7 out of 10. He said I would need 2500-3000 grafts which was inline with Dr. Bloxham.

He seemed pretty awesome.

He said he will also prescribe me oral finasteride if I wanted it.

Maybe the pictures above arnt ideal because I just got out of the shower?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, user13 said:

I booked a consultation with him in a couple of week.

I also had a virtual consultation with Dr. Charles and he said my Donner was was pretty decent 6-7 out of 10. He said I would need 2500-3000 grafts which was inline with Dr. Bloxham.

He seemed pretty awesome.

He said he will also prescribe me oral finasteride if I wanted it.

Maybe the pictures above arnt ideal because I just got out of the shower?

I would not worry about pictures. Once Bernstein sees you, he will tell you exactly what is best, he has a no nonesense approach, very honest.

• Like 1