Is it dead skin or actual grafts???

Hello everyone

Day 9 since my transplant. I have this alarming question. So I've been washing my hair every day as instructed by the surgeon with the spray ans the shampoo. I'm a but scared abt the washing process. When I rinse off the shampoo I get a lot of flakes coming off. I can't quite decide if I'm rinsing of dead skin n scabs or am I yanking out the transplanted roots n losing any chance of ever having hair again. How do I know for sure whether I'm doing the right thing or ruining a good thing? Any help?

I've also added pics of what fell in my sink once my head was dry n tried to brush off some of the "debris" 

20220528_210810.jpg

20220528_214007.jpg

20220528_214022.jpg

Edited by VelvetGold

17 minutes ago, BaldBobby said:

Yeah just scabs. If they were follicles you would be bleeding.

Really? OMG that's a relief n music to my ears. So, you're saying that by now the hair is anchored enough to not fall out in a simple wash?

It's not going to fall out in a simple wash at this point.  Don't use your fingernails and don't be extremely aggressive, but other than that you'll bee fine.  And this is scabs.

Edited by John1991

7 hours ago, VelvetGold said:

Hello everyone

Day 9 since my transplant. I have this alarming question. So I've been washing my hair every day as instructed by the surgeon with the spray ans the shampoo. I'm a but scared abt the washing process. When I rinse off the shampoo I get a lot of flakes coming off. I can't quite decide if I'm rinsing of dead skin n scabs or am I yanking out the transplanted roots n losing any chance of ever having hair again. How do I know for sure whether I'm doing the right thing or ruining a good thing? Any help?

I've also added pics of what fell in my sink once my head was dry n tried to brush off some of the "debris" 

20220528_210810.jpg

20220528_214007.jpg

20220528_214022.jpg

Those are just scabs falling off. Nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

They're scabs and as a person who literally went through this emotional rollercoaster 2 days ago, i 100% know how you feel. 

Luckily, i used very, very soft circular motions and the hair that did shed didn't look like a graft either. It's like really short hair that's normally shed which helped reassure me. 

A lot of people say after even two full days post-op (Dr Mwamba i think mentioned this on Melvin's livestream too) that to have a graft be taken out requires a surgical tool to do so. 

Unfortunately the fact is some of the implanted hair have the actual bulb and dermal papilla held in place but over those 9 days, the hair could have simply been held in place by the scabs and then finally come out now the scabs not anchoring it. 

Good luck and nothing to worry about as others have said too! 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

They're scabs and as a person who literally went through this emotional rollercoaster 2 days ago, i 100% know how you feel. 

Luckily, i used very, very soft circular motions and the hair that did shed didn't look like a graft either. It's like really short hair that's normally shed which helped reassure me. 

A lot of people say after even two full days post-op (Dr Mwamba i think mentioned this on Melvin's livestream too) that to have a graft be taken out requires a surgical tool to do so. 

Unfortunately the fact is some of the implanted hair have the actual bulb and dermal papilla held in place but over those 9 days, the hair could have simply been held in place by the scabs and then finally come out now the scabs not anchoring it. 

Good luck and nothing to worry about as others have said too! 

Thank you so much! I love how you took the time to explain it so well. I was panicking, just as you said, and was even thinking to live with the dead skin in case it was a good thing but OMG it seems so unsightly. I'm feeling  a lot more at ease abt this. Dealing with scabs from the donor area was easier. This was just traumatic almost. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, VelvetGold said:

Thank you so much! I love how you took the time to explain it so well. I was panicking, just as you said, and was even thinking to live with the dead skin in case it was a good thing but OMG it seems so unsightly. I'm feeling  a lot more at ease abt this. Dealing with scabs from the donor area was easier. This was just traumatic almost. 

Yeah, the scabs from the donor area didn't concern me. Probably because mentally you know they're just holes in your head that scabbed and there's no hair there anymore but you freak out internally at the recipient area because of that fear of losing a single graft. 

I lost one (RIP) accidentally hitting my head getting into a car the first day of surgery. I think with spiked BP, heart rate etc. maybe i wasn't 100% there and it emotionally killed me at the time for sure. However, now after the first head wash and slowly having got the scabs hopefully all off after 2 days, i feel a lot better about it all. I know the shedding phase and "Ugly Duckling" phase will be upon me very soon, but there's greener pastures after that. :)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

Yeah, the scabs from the donor area didn't concern me. ... "Ugly Duckling" phase will be upon me very soon, but there's greener pastures after that. :)

Oh damn! And my mom has been ony case ensuring that head is WELL PROTECTED against probably even a strong gust of wind. Probably the reason why I might end up keeping almost all of my grafts. But I do know what you mean about low BP n heart rate n being emotional. There's a LOT to be written abt the emotional journey that comes with HT. N not just during the ugly Duckling phase bit even the days leading up to, during n after the procedure. Honestly! It takes a community of really supportive ppl like urself n others to keep from spiraling down a rabbit hole of angst.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, VelvetGold said:

Oh damn! And my mom has been ony case ensuring that head is WELL PROTECTED against probably even a strong gust of wind. Probably the reason why I might end up keeping almost all of my grafts. But I do know what you mean about low BP n heart rate n being emotional. There's a LOT to be written abt the emotional journey that comes with HT. N not just during the ugly Duckling phase bit even the days leading up to, during n after the procedure. Honestly! It takes a community of really supportive ppl like urself n others to keep from spiraling down a rabbit hole of angst.

I'm glad to help in return for any help i've received tbh. 

I think regardless of where we fall on the hair loss scale, we all feel the emotional angst of this journey the same and having support like this and not going through it alone helps a lot. 

Just keep doing the best you can. The rest is all a form of luck after that and based on what the clinic and doctor did initially. You only know the end result 12+ months later. Just sit back, relax and go with it. You'll get there sooner than you think. I almost cannot believe its been over a week since my procedure already. It doesn't feel like that in the moment but it's genuinely like a blink of an eye looking back now. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thank you to EVERYONE who provided feedback n reassurance. The difference between yesterday and today is night and day. From Anxiety to Assuredness the journey is CLARITY...literally too 🤣😜

24 HOURS APART...

20220530_043704.jpg

• Like 2