Drivimg vs flying for FUE

My surgery is in a month, the clinic is about 600 miles from me, is it a good idea to take a roadtrip there or book a fly? If i drive, i plan to not drive straight 600 miles, but have a 1 day stay in hotel 300 miles half way. I am prone to air sickness, which is why i wish to either drive or take Amtrak if possible.

2 hours ago, civic said:

My surgery is in a month, the clinic is about 600 miles from me, is it a good idea to take a roadtrip there or book a fly? If i drive, i plan to not drive straight 600 miles, but have a 1 day stay in hotel 300 miles half way. I am prone to air sickness, which is why i wish to either drive or take Amtrak if possible.

Either way, you have to be careful about watching your head! 

Whether that's getting in and out of any cars, or walking into a plane and potentially avoiding overhead luggage compartments etc. 

Sleeping as well should be a big priority to stay upright. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

Either way, you have to be careful about watching your head! 

Whether that's getting in and out of any cars, or walking into a plane and potentially avoiding overhead luggage compartments etc. 

Sleeping as well should be a big priority to stay upright. 

Yes, good point! I will be as careful as possible. 

1 hour ago, BaldBobby said:

I agree.  not fun having people stare at your head.

No, BUT just remember that these people are simply a passing moment in your life that you will never see or remember again. 

What's most important is the end result and being safe to and from going to the right place for you. 

• Like 2

I don't think either one is necessarily better than the other, and really just comes down to personal preference and what you're comfortable with - but I will say that driving 600 miles after a procedure is a bit ambitious, and personally, I don't think I would've enjoyed a drive of that nature after mine. I love a good road trip, but flying is more efficient and you'll get the whole process over with faster. The main downside to driving is that you might be a bit uncomfortable for the first few days after the procedure, and I don't know how that will effect the drive or how enjoyable it will be - so if you do drive, it might be best to wait about 3 days after the procedure until any initial swelling, discomfort, etc. is gone. If you're at a hotel with a flexible cancellation policy, you could always play by ear if you're really not keen on a flight. 

If it were me, I'd take the plane. You'll be home before you know it and you can start resting and recuperating faster. And you'll probably be able to wear a loose fitting hat on the way home and you'll have a mask on, so you likely won't draw many looks. 

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

2 minutes ago, pkipling said:

I don't think either one is necessarily better than the other, and really just comes down to personal preference and what you're comfortable with - but I will say that driving 600 miles after a procedure is a bit ambitious, and personally, I don't think I would've enjoyed a drive of that nature after mine. I love a good road trip, but flying is more efficient and you'll get the whole process over with faster. The main downside to driving is that you might be a bit uncomfortable for the first few days after the procedure, and I don't know how that will effect the drive or how enjoyable it will be - so if you do drive, it might be best to wait about 3 days after the procedure until any initial swelling, discomfort, etc. is gone. If you're at a hotel with a flexible cancellation policy, you could always play by ear if you're really not keen on a flight. 

If it were me, I'd take the plane. You'll be home before you know it and you can start resting and recuperating faster. And you'll probably be able to wear a loose fitting hat on the way home and you'll have a mask on, so you likely won't draw many looks. 

Yep, i will stay there for 4 days after & will drive 300 miles only then take a day break in hotel, then next day resume trip back-)

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, civic said:

Yep, i will stay there for 4 days after & will drive 300 miles only then take a day break in hotel, then next day resume trip back-)

This is what I would do because I don't like flying either, so I totally get it.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

7 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

This is what I would do because I don't like flying either, so I totally get it.

Nice! I feel better knowing am not the only 1 who dislikes planes-) last time i was flying was in 2004 , it was terrible, air sickness was so extreme for me, i never flied again. It might sound weird but in my 40+ yrs of existance i only been on plane 3 times. 

after surgery you should really spend a day or two in a nearby hotel before driving back. 

please don't be selfish and put other people's lives at risk. its not a good idea to drive immediately after surgery. 

Edited by HappyMan2021
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyMan2021 said:

after surgery you should really spend really spend a day or two in a nearby hotel before driving back. 

please don't be selfish and put other people's lives at risk. its not a good idea to drive immediately after surgery. 

Yes that's what i mentioned, i will stay 4 days there after surgery-)

Edited by civic