Jump to content

Drivimg vs flying for FUE


Recommended Posts

My surgery is in a month, the clinic is about 600 miles from me, is it a good idea to take a roadtrip there or book a fly? If i drive, i plan to not drive straight 600 miles, but have a 1 day stay in hotel 300 miles half way. I am prone to air sickness, which is why i wish to either drive or take Amtrak if possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, civic said:

My surgery is in a month, the clinic is about 600 miles from me, is it a good idea to take a roadtrip there or book a fly? If i drive, i plan to not drive straight 600 miles, but have a 1 day stay in hotel 300 miles half way. I am prone to air sickness, which is why i wish to either drive or take Amtrak if possible.

Either way, you have to be careful about watching your head! 

Whether that's getting in and out of any cars, or walking into a plane and potentially avoiding overhead luggage compartments etc. 

Sleeping as well should be a big priority to stay upright. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

Either way, you have to be careful about watching your head! 

Whether that's getting in and out of any cars, or walking into a plane and potentially avoiding overhead luggage compartments etc. 

Sleeping as well should be a big priority to stay upright. 

Yes, good point! I will be as careful as possible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BaldBobby said:

I agree.  not fun having people stare at your head.

No, BUT just remember that these people are simply a passing moment in your life that you will never see or remember again. 

What's most important is the end result and being safe to and from going to the right place for you. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think either one is necessarily better than the other, and really just comes down to personal preference and what you're comfortable with - but I will say that driving 600 miles after a procedure is a bit ambitious, and personally, I don't think I would've enjoyed a drive of that nature after mine. I love a good road trip, but flying is more efficient and you'll get the whole process over with faster. The main downside to driving is that you might be a bit uncomfortable for the first few days after the procedure, and I don't know how that will effect the drive or how enjoyable it will be - so if you do drive, it might be best to wait about 3 days after the procedure until any initial swelling, discomfort, etc. is gone. If you're at a hotel with a flexible cancellation policy, you could always play by ear if you're really not keen on a flight. 

If it were me, I'd take the plane. You'll be home before you know it and you can start resting and recuperating faster. And you'll probably be able to wear a loose fitting hat on the way home and you'll have a mask on, so you likely won't draw many looks. 

 

  • Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, pkipling said:

I don't think either one is necessarily better than the other, and really just comes down to personal preference and what you're comfortable with - but I will say that driving 600 miles after a procedure is a bit ambitious, and personally, I don't think I would've enjoyed a drive of that nature after mine. I love a good road trip, but flying is more efficient and you'll get the whole process over with faster. The main downside to driving is that you might be a bit uncomfortable for the first few days after the procedure, and I don't know how that will effect the drive or how enjoyable it will be - so if you do drive, it might be best to wait about 3 days after the procedure until any initial swelling, discomfort, etc. is gone. If you're at a hotel with a flexible cancellation policy, you could always play by ear if you're really not keen on a flight. 

If it were me, I'd take the plane. You'll be home before you know it and you can start resting and recuperating faster. And you'll probably be able to wear a loose fitting hat on the way home and you'll have a mask on, so you likely won't draw many looks. 

 

Yep, i will stay there for 4 days after & will drive 300 miles only then take a day break in hotel, then next day resume trip back-)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, civic said:

Yep, i will stay there for 4 days after & will drive 300 miles only then take a day break in hotel, then next day resume trip back-)

 

This is what I would do because I don't like flying either, so I totally get it.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

 

This is what I would do because I don't like flying either, so I totally get it.

 

Nice! I feel better knowing am not the only 1 who dislikes planes-) last time i was flying was in 2004 , it was terrible, air sickness was so extreme for me, i never flied again. It might sound weird but in my 40+ yrs of existance i only been on plane 3 times. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

after surgery you should really spend a day or two in a nearby hotel before driving back. 

please don't be selfish and put other people's lives at risk. its not a good idea to drive immediately after surgery. 

 

 

Edited by HappyMan2021
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, HappyMan2021 said:

after surgery you should really spend really spend a day or two in a nearby hotel before driving back. 

please don't be selfish and put other people's lives at risk. its not a good idea to drive immediately after surgery. 

 

 

Yes that's what i mentioned, i will stay 4 days there after surgery-)

Edited by civic
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...