Thoughts on Dr. Arshad? Or should I pursue other options (UK)?

AJK

Hi, new to this forum - although I've browsed it before. 

Started considering a hair transplant a year or so ago. At that time, I did my research and was all the signs were pointing me towards Dr. Arshad of the Hair Dr clinic. 

I've always been really nervous about taking the plunge - I'm cautious about the cost of a hair transplant, worried about if it doesn't go to plan, and - above all - don't want to get my hopes up that I'll finally be rid of having to worry about my hair, only to go through the process and end up poorer and unsatisfied. But I decided to go ahead despite my concerns and started communication with Dr. Arshad's clinic on the basis of prior research. 

Only now - having done that - I thought about doing a bit more research and, after browsing this forum, have found a lot of what look like to be pretty sub-par results from that doctor over the past year. It's really frustrating me because I always overthink, and it took me a long time to get to feeling confident I was making the right decision, and now I feel like I could be making the wrong one completely. It's making me quite anxious as the price quoted by Arshad at £3 a graft is just about financially justificable for me whereas the other good UK surgeons I have heard of - Farjo and Bell - are a lot more expensive. 

Does anyone have any good advice for me? Should I stick with Arshad? I haven't seen anyone say anything to positive from the last year and that really concerns me, but the idea of going back to square one is also unappealing. I can't afford anything that much more expensive and I really just want to get past this phase of my life. 

@AJK How about considering some of the European options? It will open your options to some of the best Drs/Clinics you will find anywhere worldwide.. 

I have seen all the results from Dr Arshad that has been posted on the forums/online over the last few years, I share your apprehension. And it’s definitely worth being cautious… I need to start seeing some more consistency before I would ever start recommending him again.

Edited by J-C

@J-C I can't say I've looked into it that much no.

I'm not completely opposed, although I would prefer the UK as I'd like to ideally travel to a city, get the op and then go straight home. However would you recommend that as an option? If there are good surgeons who can offer a similar price point to £3 a graft then I'd consider that. It's just a bit more of a faff for me, my work only gives me a week of work in one stint, I don't drive and I live in rural England, so getting anywhere is a bit of a pain. 

I'm guessing there aren't many other viable options in England if you are already suggesting European surgeons! 

15 minutes ago, AJK said:

I'm not completely opposed, although I would prefer the UK as I'd like to ideally travel to a city, get the op and then go straight home. However would you recommend that as an option? If there are good surgeons who can offer a similar price point to £3 a graft then I'd consider that. It's just a bit more of a faff for me, my work only gives me a week of work in one stint, I don't drive and I live in rural England, so getting anywhere is a bit of a pain. 

I'm guessing there aren't many other viable options in England if you are already suggesting European surgeons! 

I am from the Uk so can say that although we do have some Drs here that are fine, they will be more expensive that Dr Arshad. Dr Reddy, Dr Ball, Dr Farjo + Dr Raja for example are the only other choices I think people should even consider here. 
And although the advice from the forum is always to not let cost or distance dictate where you’re choosing, it does for many of us. But considering most of the decent European options range from €2 - €5 per graft then it’s perfectly possible to get a elite Dr at the same price you would be spending here in the UK..

Dr Bicer in Turkey is €2 per graft, she’s forum recommended, HDC (Cyprus) is around €2.25 upwards depending on which Dr you choose.. again forum recommended. 

Dr Pinto & Dr Ferreira in Portugal are around €3 per graft, Dr De Freitas Im Spain is another very good option… spend some time looking/researching on the forum and you will get a much better idea of what can be achieved in terms of results from each… 

Edited by J-C

• Administrators

I believe Dr. Arshad does solid work, and he’s very ethical. Though, no surgeon is perfect. I would definitely include him in your list of consultations, as well as many others. 

Use our list as a starting point 

https://hairtransplantnetwork.com/best-hair-transplant-surgeons

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Valued Contributor
32 minutes ago, AJK said:

The extra faff of going abroad (I went to India!) will be trumped by opening yourself up to superior options with a proven consistent track record of good results. You want the best that you can realistically afford operating on your head. If that means a bit of travel faff, for my money... so be it! And look, we're in the UK... How much more faff is travelling to Belgium, Spain or Portugal etc really? We're lucky that we have easy access to these countries - and they're cheap to travel to!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, J-C said:

Out of curiosity whereabouts in the Uk are you? You mentioned somewhere rural? 

I live in a village in Dorset, so transport to London is normally 4 hours by train, give or take. They are expensive and often delayed!!

But yes, maybe I should consider travel. I always heard bad things about people who went abroad to get a hair transplant, the bodged Turkey jobs etc. But probably shows my lack of research more than anything else.

I didn't consider it as, honestly, I thought the UK would have a better range of quality, affordable options!

Edited by AJK

1 minute ago, AJK said:

But yes, maybe I should consider travel. I always heard bad things about people who went abroad to get a hair transplant, the bodged Turkey jobs etc. But probably shows my lack of research more than anything else.

I didn't consider it as, honestly, I thought the UK would have a better range of quality, affordable options!

Unfortunately the poor clinics are everywhere, it just happens to be that most are in Turkey… but that doesn’t mean to say it’s a write off for getting a procedure.. Dr Bicer, HLC, Dr Keser, Dr Pekiner and Dr Turan & Dr Gur are all fine.. 

3 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

Not sure why any British person wouldn't take a short train or plain ride to one of the outstanding mainland Europe doctors. 

UK docs are mediocre at best. 

Your blanket categorization on multiple doctor skill set levels (on this and other threads) is ridiculous for someone that has never ever worked in the field. The way you talk, one would think you are the worlds leading authority on hair transplant surgeons. Maybe your research has made you seem like you are, but believe me you ARE NOT. The rash of recent threads you have created regarding "if xyz can effect your HT?" just highlights your lack of knowledge. I urge you to be a bit more judicious in your opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, shiba1985 said:

Your blanket categorization on multiple doctor skill set levels (on this and other threads) is ridiculous for someone that has never ever worked in the field. The way you talk, one would think you are the worlds leading authority on hair transplant surgeons. Maybe your research has made you seem like you are, but believe me you ARE NOT. The rash of recent threads you have created regarding "if xyz can effect your HT?" just highlights your lack of knowledge. I urge you to be a bit more judicious in your opinion. 

To be fair, Europe is way better VFM with equally, if not superior surgeons

Feel free to check out my thread on here from my HT with Dr Arshad. Here is a picture from the weekend, together with my pre-op picture. I was quite drunk at this point, so apologies for the pic 😃

8E182953-9074-4767-A65C-CBE50E7B8EB0.png

33F4855A-9FAA-4B34-A759-5F07B6985CC2.jpeg

• Like 1

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, Marko7t4 said:

Feel free to check out my thread on here from my HT with Dr Arshad. Here is a picture from the weekend, together with my pre-op picture. I was quite drunk at this point, so apologies for the pic 😃

8E182953-9074-4767-A65C-CBE50E7B8EB0.png

33F4855A-9FAA-4B34-A759-5F07B6985CC2.jpeg

Atta boy 🍻 

• Haha 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, shiba1985 said:

🤣. There are no elite British doctors. I don't really care for you Shiba with your 40 comments, if you don't like my comments (all of which follow the forum rules mind you) I encourage you to block my profile.

You won't be missed 👌

Edited by HappyMan2021