• 1 month later...

@BaldV Thank you so much for providing all these repair cases. Seriously, you are one of the best. 

The repair case that was most interesting to me was Dr Konior, he went slow and did multiple procedures, and sutured individual FUE sites closed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's my consultation with Dr Bisinga's rep regarding relocating grafts from hairline, with permission from them to share this here since it helped me. 

For repair patients or patients whose objectives are to revisit the same recipient area, it is necessary for Dr. Bisanga to be able to assess the patient under magnification. This is in regard to both the recipient and the donor area. 

The skin in the recipient area would be evaluated to assess for scarring due to previous recipient sites and/ or compromised skin, and the donor area to be able to understand how well it was previously managed and optimally plan moving forward.

When placing into a recipient area that has had previous surgery, skin tissue is no longer virgin. With every recipient site that has been made, your skin has been cut. This then triggers a response from your body that creates scar tissue to heal. This may not be visible to the naked eye when surgery is performed to a high standard, but as with any cutting of the skin, this will occur as the bodies natural healing response.

This changes the physiological status of the skin and potentially the response in further surgery.

Blood vessels below the scalp will have been disrupted and whilst will have recovered, they are no longer "untouched" and will respond accordingly with potentially different efficiency.

Whilst repair/non virgin surgery with Dr. Bisanga is generally very successful, each patients situation will present unique challenges that virgin scalp does not present and your scalp may respond differently. With this in mind, growth is not able to be guaranteed.

Each persons donor area is unique to them. Their donor density, follicular grouping (how many hairs in a follicle 1/2/3/4), any miniaturisation and the calibre of their hair. It is a persons donor that will influence how many grafts can be extracted from that area safely, without showing visible signs of extraction and to ensure optimal healing, allowing further extraction in subsequent procedures. Most likely the richer and stronger grafts will have been extracted in your previous surgery and so this has to be understood and managed with the long term in mind.

Dr. Bisanga would have to assess your donor area to check for any levels of miniaturisation to ensure that your donor is strong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95dQGwpM3Ck&t=40s

Heads up, Dr Bisinga with be in the US on Aug 28th to perform consultations. 

13 hours ago, HairRun said:

Here's my consultation with Dr Bisinga's rep regarding relocating grafts from hairline, with permission from them to share this here since it helped me. 

If you are in the US why not have a cons with Dr Konior too?

23 minutes ago, BaldV said:

If you are in the US why not have a cons with Dr Konior too?

I read that his schedule is booked up for two years and is not taking any consultations at the moment, but I should check myself just in case. 

On 8/3/2022 at 7:09 PM, HairRun said:

Just find this funny as Bisanga's name gets butchered so much lmao

Bisinga, Basinga, Basanga :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

For anyone else looking at this thread I would recommend doing a consult with Dr Timothy Carmen in San Diego.  I just had a consult with him earlier today, and he really impressed me with his insight and experience with hair transplant repairs.

He seems like a really high integrity and detailed guy. He brought up points and some preliminary steps to take in my consultation that wasn't brought up in my other consults. It's a bit unfortunate that he doesn't have a ton of recent reviews, he doesn't seem to care too much about social media, I think he just likes to focus on doing quality work and he seems to get enough business from being the only widely known surgeon in the huge metro of San Diego. But I think for people who reach out to him, they get a solid idea his depth of experience and attention to detail. If he had more recent reviews, it may been a very easy decision to go with him. 

Some bonuses, his prices are more modest compared to top hair transplant surgeons, and his wait times seem to be much shorter as well. I don't think you should make a decision based on those, but if he's your first choice outside of those, they are nice to have. 

• Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 10:48 AM, HairRun said:

For anyone else looking at this thread I would recommend doing a consult with Dr Timothy Carmen in San Diego.  I just had a consult with him earlier today, and he really impressed me with his insight and experience with hair transplant repairs.

He seems like a really high integrity and detailed guy. He brought up points and some preliminary steps to take in my consultation that wasn't brought up in my other consults. It's a bit unfortunate that he doesn't have a ton of recent reviews, he doesn't seem to care too much about social media, I think he just likes to focus on doing quality work and he seems to get enough business from being the only widely known surgeon in the huge metro of San Diego. But I think for people who reach out to him, they get a solid idea his depth of experience and attention to detail. If he had more recent reviews, it may been a very easy decision to go with him. 

Some bonuses, his prices are more modest compared to top hair transplant surgeons, and his wait times seem to be much shorter as well. I don't think you should make a decision based on those, but if he's your first choice outside of those, they are nice to have. 

It would be nice if you shared some info of what he said with us

On 8/7/2022 at 7:15 AM, BaldV said:

It would be nice if you shared some info of what he said with us

Yeah, so one of the concerns is scarring. I scar very easily. But Dr Carmen was able to look closely at my grafts and point out that at least I don't have some characteristics of a type of scarring, I forgot what the name was, I should have written it down, but that's one thing to look forward to. Another thing he mentioned is that he would want to remove my wide scar first, because a 2nd fut scar might make things more noticeable and if I do FUE, I may not have the density to mask it as much. And he would want to wait 1 year before that procedure to do a transplant on me. He talked about other stuff but it was stuff I was already aware off and following due to my previous consultations and looking through all the links you provided, what I mentioned was only stuff that nobody has mentioned to me.

Dr Carmen really seems like a guy whose vastly knowledgeable, keeps up to date with case studies, has really high ethnics, adherence to fundamentals, no shortcuts, takes time and makes sure you're on board kind of guy. Other surgeons have mentioned taking out the scar at the same time as the surgery, but Dr Carmen wants to do that first and then wait the full year. 

He also seemed super generous with his time, this was a Friday at 5:30 before he went on a two week vacation (only slot that was available before a 2 week vacation), so you can imagine most people would want to rush out for it, but was super generous with his time, really making sure he answered all my questions and concerns before we ended the call. This is the opposite of my experience with my first hair transplant doctor, who always rushed through everything, and couldn't seem to grasp the extent of any concerns I shared with him. 

He also seems to have a lot of experience with repair. And also a lot of experience repairing work from the person who did my first transplant, like a lot of experience. I've had other consultations where I bring up the doctor who did my first transplant, and most seem to dislike his work though are measured in what they say. Something like 'Some of the word we seem from him we like, but other work we do not approve of'. Dr Carmen was the most honest and thorough with his criticisms of his techniques. 

This may have been an easy decision for me, but it's the lack of recent reviews that's stopping me from fully going on board. I think he probably just gets a lot of business from being in the giant metro that is San Diego, which is probably the 3rd most looks-based/superficial metro in north America behind LA and Miami, but unlike the other areas I think Dr Carmen is the only widely known hair transplant surgeon there. His practice is specifically in La Jolla, which is an older, more affluent neighborhood so maybe the bulk of his clients are not really into posting stuff online.

His practice is literally 5 minutes walking on the beach, and plenty of airbnbs around his practice, for pretty cheap considering the area, so going with him could be like a mini-vacation as I heal. But again, I don't think I can fully scout this clinic unless I have recent reviews. If I had a tight budget for a transplant and couldn't afford the top tier surgeons, or if I just wanted a procedure in a few months instead like 6-14 months, it would be a no brainer, but I am in a position where I can spend and wait as long as it takes for my top choice. 

Also @BaldV you mentioned "From the french forum International-hairlossforum  search for the title" but there were no titles posted. Do you think they were filtered out by the spam bots? I only see links to other reviews on this site. If so, could you try reposting the titles only?

1 hour ago, HairRun said:

Yeah, so one of the concerns is scarring. I scar very easily. But Dr Carmen was able to look closely at my grafts and point out that at least I don't have some characteristics of a type of scarring, I forgot what the name was, I should have written it down, but that's one thing to look forward to. Another thing he mentioned is that he would want to remove my wide scar first, because a 2nd fut scar might make things more noticeable and if I do FUE, I may not have the density to mask it as much. And he would want to wait 1 year before that procedure to do a transplant on me. He talked about other stuff but it was stuff I was already aware off and following due to my previous consultations and looking through all the links you provided, what I mentioned was only stuff that nobody has mentioned to me.

Dr Carmen really seems like a guy whose vastly knowledgeable, keeps up to date with case studies, has really high ethnics, adherence to fundamentals, no shortcuts, takes time and makes sure you're on board kind of guy. Other surgeons have mentioned taking out the scar at the same time as the surgery, but Dr Carmen wants to do that first and then wait the full year. 

He also seemed super generous with his time, this was a Friday at 5:30 before he went on a two week vacation (only slot that was available before a 2 week vacation), so you can imagine most people would want to rush out for it, but was super generous with his time, really making sure he answered all my questions and concerns before we ended the call. This is the opposite of my experience with my first hair transplant doctor, who always rushed through everything, and couldn't seem to grasp the extent of any concerns I shared with him. 

He also seems to have a lot of experience with repair. And also a lot of experience repairing work from the person who did my first transplant, like a lot of experience. I've had other consultations where I bring up the doctor who did my first transplant, and most seem to dislike his work though are measured in what they say. Something like 'Some of the word we seem from him we like, but other work we do not approve of'. Dr Carmen was the most honest and thorough with his criticisms of his techniques. 

This may have been an easy decision for me, but it's the lack of recent reviews that's stopping me from fully going on board. I think he probably just gets a lot of business from being in the giant metro that is San Diego, which is probably the 3rd most looks-based/superficial metro in north America behind LA and Miami, but unlike the other areas I think Dr Carmen is the only widely known hair transplant surgeon there. His practice is specifically in La Jolla, which is an older, more affluent neighborhood so maybe the bulk of his clients are not really into posting stuff online.

His practice is literally 5 minutes walking on the beach, and plenty of airbnbs around his practice, for pretty cheap considering the area, so going with him could be like a mini-vacation as I heal. But again, I don't think I can fully scout this clinic unless I have recent reviews. If I had a tight budget for a transplant and couldn't afford the top tier surgeons, or if I just wanted a procedure in a few months instead like 6-14 months, it would be a no brainer, but I am in a position where I can spend and wait as long as it takes for my top choice. 

Also @BaldV you mentioned "From the french forum International-hairlossforum  search for the title" but there were no titles posted. Do you think they were filtered out by the spam bots? I only see links to other reviews on this site. If so, could you try reposting the titles only?

Probably Melvin deleted it because references from other forums arent allowed, search for Stephane D.  in internationalhairlossforum

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HairRun said:

This is the opposite of my experience with my first hair transplant doctor, who always rushed through everything, and couldn't seem to grasp the extent of any concerns I shared with him. 

A friend of mine who had been a welder in a past life told me that "The best welders have quiet minds". I think this is probably true of HT Surgeons and many other professions that involve doing a highly repetitive but technical and skilled that requires a high level of detail and artfulness. Underrated metric for selecting your Dr on.

• Like 1

The biggest takeaway for me is that extracted an implanted hair is very different and much harder and time consuming than a fresh donor graft, because the donor graft grows in a predictable fashion, where as an implanted graft may have variations or change orientations due to the healing around it. 

No wonder when I read reviews of just 100s of relocated grafts, it takes like all day or going into the night to get them. It also may explain the staged relocating I also see in other reviews. 

It's like FUE on hard mode. For this reason, I would only trust a super skilled tech if not the surgeon themself. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/14/2022 at 5:09 PM, pkipling said:

I agree that the clean shaven route would be the way to go, as opposed to trying to completely reverse the hair transplant and physically remove all the hairs. Unless shaving consistently is a nuisance, then I suppose electrolysis would be worth considering. 

The main thing you'd need to be mindful of in the case of FUE is that the little tiny dots aren't visible - and this varies from person to person based on their skin type and how it heals, how many grafts they had, the size of the punch, etc. I just got back from a haircut with a new barber and he did a no guard fade on me on the back/sides and said he would never have known I had FUE if I hadn't mentioned it to him. If I were to shave completely with a razor, that might be a different story - but the only way to know how noticeable it would be would be to try it out, and I have no intention of taking a razor to my scalp. :)

I do recall seeing posts on here through the years of people shaving their scalp post-FUE hair transplant, so I know it's something that's done from time to time. And if the FUE dots/scars are noticeable, getting SMP into the scars could be a way of disguising those. 

What skin color/hair color is the best at contrasting or hiding potential scarring?