Traveling for a Hair Transplant

Hello everyone — doing some research on HTs and travel as I get ready to launch into my second procedure. 

For FUE, how many doctor visits did people make? Surgery day is obviously one day, but were there any pre-op or post-up visits?

Wondering how to plan for travel and how far away from my local city (Washington DC) I should search for surgeons. 

• Administrators

Never let location dictate your choice. I suggest visiting at least once in person before agreeing to surgery. 

• Like 3

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I traveled to Europe for my in person consultation, and ultimately took an extra 2 week vacation back to Europe for my procedure and post-op recovery time.

Yes, the extra plane tickets cost money but...this is your head we are talking about, if +/- 1 to 2k is a dealbreaker to you, I would save up a bit more and do it right the first time with the doctor you desire.

• Like 2

• Administrators
9 hours ago, asterix0 said:

I traveled to Europe for my in person consultation, and ultimately took an extra 2 week vacation back to Europe for my procedure and post-op recovery time.

Yes, the extra plane tickets cost money but...this is your head we are talking about, if +/- 1 to 2k is a dealbreaker to you, I would save up a bit more and do it right the first time with the doctor you desire.

If you are serious about spending thousands and thousands of dollars. A plane ticket and accommodation is a small price in the end. Some surgeons give travel discounts too, be sure to ask them about any travel rebates. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I agree with Melvin, never let location dictate where you go to have surgery.  When your spending thousands of dollars, what's $350 or what ever it cost, for peace of mind and confidence in the doctor performing the transplant.  You can have a Web-MD online consultation if you don't want to do that in person or the location is an issue. 

• Like 1

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Just to elaborate further, I am not concerned with the cost of travel. I am thinking about the staples that I had removed after several weeks, and then the second set of staples removed. So it was more me thinking about access to the clinic (if I were to go FUT again) so they do that themselves and I can get checked by the actual doctor.

Don’t know if the FUE requires follow ups. 

FUE typically doesn't require follow-ups.  Make sure you want a lengthy linear scar the rest of your life.  It may not show but who knows with hair lengths you choose down the road.  Obviously I'm an FUE fan.

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.