How Much Time Post-Op Till I Can Go on a Company Retreat

I am having a 3 day long HT the 1st week of June. Adding 2000 grafts to the front, and reangling appx 2k existing badly angled grafts. 

My boss knows about the HT. Our team is planning a summer retreat, its all TBD but likely your typical outdoorsy summery team-bonding activities. My boss wants to be accommodating, and asked me when I feel comfortable going on the trip. 

How long should I wait post-op before going on a company outing? I don't want to take any chances, and honestly am ok refusing to go if it compromises my results in any way. 

A follow up question is how soon after the HT can I wear a hat? Is there a set time? Or more generally whenever there is no more scabbing, etc.?

• Valued Contributor

Really you can go after one week but I would give it two weeks after all the scabs have been washed out. If your question is how long do I have to wait to go so no one knows it’s a hair transplant then that’s a different question. Personally I would go and not concern yourself about what others think. You’ll be surprised how interested people will be! I returned to work a few days after work and my boss and colleagues were fascinated. I never told them I flew to India for surgery so they were quite surprised. Also people have short memories. I’m 10 weeks post op and no one is talking about it now. All the best! 

2 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

I am having a 3 day long HT the 1st week of June. Adding 2000 grafts to the front, and reangling appx 2k existing badly angled grafts. 

My boss knows about the HT. Our team is planning a summer retreat, its all TBD but likely your typical outdoorsy summery team-bonding activities. My boss wants to be accommodating, and asked me when I feel comfortable going on the trip. 

How long should I wait post-op before going on a company outing? I don't want to take any chances, and honestly am ok refusing to go if it compromises my results in any way. 

A follow up question is how soon after the HT can I wear a hat? Is there a set time? Or more generally whenever there is no more scabbing, etc.?

You can wear a cap after 7 days or first headwash of the procedure. You can wear a loose cap prior to the headwash also. If you are careful enough, you can enjoy the retreat even during your healing days prior to the headwash. But waiting for a week would be wise.

• Like 1

Absolutely. I agree with all that was mentioned above. I personally wouldn’t mind a loose fitting cap or fishing hat few days after surgery. Normal hats by 7-10 days and almost normal activities after that. The only thing I prefer to delay for upto 3 weeks is swimming in chlorinated swimming pools, Sauna etc. 

Moreover, do not get your scalp sunburnt in the first few months- which you shouldn’t do even without a HT

• Like 1

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

I wore a loose fitting cap the next day and was able to travel and go out and about freely. I had FUT so didn't do any strenuous activity for about 3 months afterwards. 

My question would be - why do you even have to go on the retreat? I can't stand work socials and don't understand why your boss is being accommodating about WHEN you go, rather than if you WANT to go? 

Can't you just say "thanks but I'll give this one a miss and continue to earn my salary by working hard and hitting deadlines / KPIs" ?

• Like 2

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

I had one of those chunky ones and it just sat atop of my head

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

If you want to be safe, 10 days.

If lots of sunlight or swimming is involved, and you wanna be safe, 30 days.

If you wanna live more dangerously, cut those numbers to 7 days and 21 days.

• Like 1

Check out my journey here:

21 hours ago, Aslitarcan sucks said:

Can you show an example

Sure.

s-l400.jpg

• Like 1

Happyman,

to be honest, it really depends on the number of factors. Some of this depends on what makes you feel comfortable. Physically, you may be able to go on a summer treat depending on the physical activities a few days after your hair transplant. To be safe, I was just at least waiting a week so that the transplanted hair is securely rooted, 

Also, if you’re undergoing FUT, you have to worry about the sutures/staples and you might want to wait until they’re removed - which is typically around two three weeks after your procedure.  You can always go on the retreat while you have the sutures/staples but depending on the shower facilities, etc. we might experience minor to moderate itching and or scalp irritation.

Then there’s the level of emotional and psychological comfort that you will be experiencing. 

Some people don’t care that they may have some postoperative redness and that some parts of their scalp is shaved while other Parks or not. On the other hand you can always shave your entire head so everything is even.  Swine clinics don’t shave at all and you might not have to worry about that.

Then there is the hair shedding period  where all the transplanted hair essentially falls out waiting until approximately the 3rd to 5th month to begin growing again.  This typically occurs between 4 to 6 weeks after her transplant surgery.

Between 10 and 12 weeks, you may experience “shock loss” which includes a temporary hair loss referred to as telogen effluvium of any natural or transplanted or natural hair surrounding the current transplant. This occurs due to trauma to the scalp during surgery.  Shocked hair typically fully returns between 6 to 12 months.

So like I said, it really depends on what you are comfortable with. If you can wear a hat or you don’t care that you’re not going to look completely “normal“ for a while after the procedure, then you should be able to go on a street 1 to 2 weeks after your procedure. 

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.