Eugenix HT - 2000 grafts - March 24,2022 - Dr.Das

1 hour ago, Midwestkid0324 said:

Hey everyone just wanted to post an update since it has been a while. It has now been 5 weeks since my HT at Eugenix and I’m officially in the ugly duckling phase 😫 I was wondering when it would hit because after about 4 weeks my hairline was still pretty much intact and I noticed very little shedding. Then this past week it hit me like a ton of bricks. The transplanted area is starting to shed and is now looking patchy. I know this is normal but man is it hard looking in the mirror everyday and seeing it. I’m used to having a lot of hair on my head so the ugly duckling phase is really hurting my confidence and self esteem. I’ve been working remotely since the start of the pandemic and have resorted to wearing lots of hats during zoom meetings. I’m nervous about an on-site engagement for work that is mandatory in about 2 weeks. My company culture is pretty laid back and they don’t mind people wearing hats to the office. But it’s still awkward for me all of a sudden turning into the guy who never takes his hat off after being someone who never really wore hats before in front of co workers. Does anyone have any suggestions on the type of haircut I can get here in the next few weeks as my hair grows back? Pre HT I would always get a mid skin fade and kept it longer on top. Obviously that isn’t an option anymore 😂

As far as my current regiment to help with growth I take multi vitamins, biotin, MSM, MAP, Nizoral about 2x a week, derma roll 1x a week (not on transplanted area) and minoxidil. Note, most of these are things I’ve been doing even prior to having a HT. I also workout regularly and eat a clean diet. I’ve been on minoxidil since 2015 and it has done wonders to help me sustain as much of my crown as possible. With a shaved head I currently have though the thinning in the crown is extremely noticeable and hard to conceal. Being off minoxidil for a month due to surgery has probably led to some new shedding there. I would have liked to implant some hairs in that area of my scalp as well but Dr Arika advised against it and said I wasn’t a suitable candidate at the moment since the thinning wasn’t that bad in her estimation. However, I’ve always had longer hair and so it was easier to cover that area up. Now I don’t have that luxury with a shaved head. One of my only fears with getting a HT was the possibility that some of my native hair that gets shaved off from the non transplanted area never grows back to baseline. Is this possible? Is it true that you can get shock loss on your scalp after a HT even in areas that weren’t operated on? My procedure was limited to my hairline and frontal area. 
I was told I’m a Norwood 2 and the chances of it progressing to 6/7 is low. 

I know lots of people have advised me to get on Finasteride. Each time that I say “yeah I’m going to give it a shot” I end up backing out and can’t pull the trigger. Same goes with the topical version as well. Some of the recommended mixtures and dosages that are recommended from various companies are really high even for a topical version and still run the risk of going systemic. Im just not a big fan of having to go the pharmacological route and being dependent on that for the next 15-20 years to maintain my hair. I don’t knock anyone who does though. This is just where I stand on it. With that being said I’m also realistic with my hair loss and my future goals. I think that’s the important thing for everyone to take into consideration when battling hair loss. You have to be practical and realistic with what the vision for yourself is. I wasn’t getting a HT with the expectation that I was magically going to solve my hair loss forever and grow a whole new head of hair. My vision was to stabilize and fix my hair line so that as my thinning of native hairs continues in the future I can go with a buzz cut or shorter hair style and make it work. I’m 34 now and if I can get like another 6-8 years of decent hair on my head I’m ok with making the investment I did with eugenix. In my 40s I probably won’t care as much as I do today since I’m still very much in my prime working/active years. 

If I had to pick the lesser of two evils I’d rather have thinning in my crown because these days it’s easier to conceal or treat that area with things like fibers or high skin fades with a buzz on top. If the native hair on my crown doesn’t go grow back to baseline over the next few months I’ll be comfortable rocking the look I had when I got my HT with the buzz all over. I think it actually suited me and didn’t look so bad! 

Anyways id love to hear what you all think! I know the next few months are about to be a bumpy ride. Attached are pics from today and a reference photo of what my hair looked like pre HT. It was taken the night before my procedure. 

F3839D39-00B9-457B-A427-36404FA426B0.jpeg

FD0EAEEB-5C30-4B55-87B7-6EEE51D9B906.jpeg

34DFDD9D-CA3A-49A9-87EC-D5079C5BF33D.jpeg

1A8A17E4-B032-4212-B522-248931867305.jpeg

CBB37191-14D6-4759-BF75-E7E6F775CFE5.jpeg

B80AFF30-E679-4CF4-A662-FE3B8E2CFBC9.jpeg

100EF181-F010-429D-9905-20528CC68C28.jpeg

Right on track man. Looks great! You might want to consider shaving your head entirely. At the 5th week I shaved my head down to a .5 and it went unnoticed during my ugly phase. Middle of month three I  grew it out and it all started blending in and looking normal. Nobody really questioned it, except to say, "oh you shaved your head, looks great!"

Just be very careful if you buzz down. Light with no pressure over the transplanted area. If you have any scabbing don't do it at all.

Don't worry about shock loss. It is extremely rare for it to not grow back. It is typically around 3 months before new hair cycles back in after shock loss, but it will come back.

• Thanks 1

Recovery looks great man. You are on par.. good things are coming from month 4 onwards! I am in the same position as you NW2 but thinning in the crown as well but I was advised against the crown!

• Thanks 1

My hair transplant Journey with Dr. Freitas

Hang in there...your hair will grow back and these days will be long behind you.

Wondering if you can use some hair fibers for the in person meeting. Or, if anyone comments, you can just say that you are trying out a new look, but you will probably grow it out soon. Or, just say nonchalantly, "I wasn't happy with my thinning hair and decided to treat myself to a hair transplant, but the hair takes around 12 months to fully grow." People will ultimately probably respect that!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/1/2022 at 9:13 AM, SLA said:

Hang in there...your hair will grow back and these days will be long behind you.

Wondering if you can use some hair fibers for the in person meeting. Or, if anyone comments, you can just say that you are trying out a new look, but you will probably grow it out soon. Or, just say nonchalantly, "I wasn't happy with my thinning hair and decided to treat myself to a hair transplant, but the hair takes around 12 months to fully grow." People will ultimately probably respect that!

Thanks for the advice! I think for sure Im either doing hair fibers or just rocking a hat. I know admitting to getting a HT is not the end of the world but I unfortunately don’t have that type of confidence. 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 4:35 AM, drawdownfx said:

Recovery looks great man. You are on par.. good things are coming from month 4 onwards! I am in the same position as you NW2 but thinning in the crown as well but I was advised against the crown!

Thank you! Can’t wait for month 4 and onwards 

On 4/30/2022 at 11:10 PM, MazAB said:

Right on track man. Looks great! You might want to consider shaving your head entirely. At the 5th week I shaved my head down to a .5 and it went unnoticed during my ugly phase. Middle of month three I  grew it out and it all started blending in and looking normal. Nobody really questioned it, except to say, "oh you shaved your head, looks great!"

Just be very careful if you buzz down. Light with no pressure over the transplanted area. If you have any scabbing don't do it at all.

Don't worry about shock loss. It is extremely rare for it to not grow back. It is typically around 3 months before new hair cycles back in after shock loss, but it will come back.

Thanks for the perspective. Shock loss is so hard to deal with but like you said I just need to be patient and not worry about it. Slow and steady wins the race. If I can get anywhere close to the result you have I’d be a happy person! 

• Like 1

Just wanted to share an update after getting my first haircut post HT. It has now been 6 weeks since my procedure at Eugenix. My hair has been looking real crazy as of late with all the shedding and growth on the sides/donor area. I ended up getting a skin fade and didn’t touch the top or transplanted hairline. I think it turned out great and makes me look a little cleaner. I’ve been using Toppik on my scalp to cover up the areas that have yet to grow back in due to shock loss. 

I was very forthcoming with my barber and told him about my HT. To my surprise he said he has lots of clients that got HTs, mainly from Turkey. I told him to let me know how my donor looked once he got the clippers and cut back there. This is a direct quote 

“Bro you probably got the cleanest one of these I’ve seen so far. No scars or visible punchy holes.” 

That really made my day and is a testament to the great work Eugenix does. I’m so excited to see what the end result of my hairline will look like! Stay tuned. 

CCA5FA6A-C863-4B6A-BCE1-95EABCD6A00B.jpeg

• Like 6

Wow man, if that is 2 months in, can't imagine how incredible the final results will be. You shook off that Ugly Duck fast bro! One for the record books!💪😎

Edited by MazAB
  • Like 1

Great updates...... Ive been catching up with your journey. I'm very early in my process on Day 7 post Op and very very scabby/crusty.

Reading your comments about the different advice out there is where I'm at now.

Day 7 and all I want to do is perform a proper head wash to remove some scabbing. My clinic states 12 days, others state 10, some state 7. Some folks say do nothing for 14 days. I've got work and I really don't mind showing of the fact that I've had a HT. But covered in cracking scabs isn't going anything for my confidence so whatever.

I've been super careful. I've not even left the house in fear of keeping it clean etc.

I don't want to rush matters....... but seeing how you, plus some others washed at 7 days...... has got me thinking seriously about pushing my luck.

My scabbing is extremely tight and can't be doing me any favours. However, surprising, hair is coming through it which is a shock.

In short..... I feel your pain. Knowing what to do is difficult considering different doctors, websites, people all suggest something different.

On 5/5/2022 at 9:58 PM, MazAB said:

Wow man, if that is 2 months in, can't imagine how incredible the final results will be. You shook off that Ugly Duck fast bro! One for the record books!💪😎

Thanks MazAB! Trust me I’m still very much in the ugly duckling phase 😂🦆

10 hours ago, TheBigM said:

Great updates...... Ive been catching up with your journey. I'm very early in my process on Day 7 post Op and very very scabby/crusty.

Reading your comments about the different advice out there is where I'm at now.

Day 7 and all I want to do is perform a proper head wash to remove some scabbing. My clinic states 12 days, others state 10, some state 7. Some folks say do nothing for 14 days. I've got work and I really don't mind showing of the fact that I've had a HT. But covered in cracking scabs isn't going anything for my confidence so whatever.

I've been super careful. I've not even left the house in fear of keeping it clean etc.

I don't want to rush matters....... but seeing how you, plus some others washed at 7 days...... has got me thinking seriously about pushing my luck.

My scabbing is extremely tight and can't be doing me any favours. However, surprising, hair is coming through it which is a shock.

In short..... I feel your pain. Knowing what to do is difficult considering different doctors, websites, people all suggest something different.

Thanks for following along! I totally get what you mean. I’m surprised about how much variance there is in some of the after care instructions/protocols from clinic to clinic. I too have read varying advice about when to do the first post op wash. Eugenix suggested 7 but I’ve also seen everything from 10-14 days as well. I would honestly just go with whatever your clinic/doctor recommended to be safe. You’ve invested so much time and money into the procedure. No need to risk it by expediting certain things or looking for ways to shorten timelines.

Do you work in person or remote? With remote work it’s been easy for me to hide the scabbing and the fact I got a HT. But if you’re open to sharing this news with co workers I’m sure they won’t judge you. 

Congrats on your procedure. Would love to follow your journey as well 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 4:00 AM, Midwestkid0324 said:

Just wanted to share an update after getting my first haircut post HT. It has now been 6 weeks since my procedure at Eugenix. My hair has been looking real crazy as of late with all the shedding and growth on the sides/donor area. I ended up getting a skin fade and didn’t touch the top or transplanted hairline. I think it turned out great and makes me look a little cleaner. I’ve been using Toppik on my scalp to cover up the areas that have yet to grow back in due to shock loss. 

I was very forthcoming with my barber and told him about my HT. To my surprise he said he has lots of clients that got HTs, mainly from Turkey. I told him to let me know how my donor looked once he got the clippers and cut back there. This is a direct quote 

“Bro you probably got the cleanest one of these I’ve seen so far. No scars or visible punchy holes.” 

That really made my day and is a testament to the great work Eugenix does. I’m so excited to see what the end result of my hairline will look like! Stay tuned. 

CCA5FA6A-C863-4B6A-BCE1-95EABCD6A00B.jpeg

Dude! 

You look like a baller just rocking his fresh cut for the 'gram lol. 

Damn, if that's 6 weeks after having it all buzzed, then that's looking really good and yeah, that barber right there just gave you one hell of a first hand anecdote about how hair mills seem to deal with donor areas. 

Just wanted to double check to make sure, but you aren't using any fibres or Toppik in that photo either are you? It makes it look even more interesting as a result imo. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2022 at 2:11 AM, NARMAK said:

Dude! 

You look like a baller just rocking his fresh cut for the 'gram lol. 

Damn, if that's 6 weeks after having it all buzzed, then that's looking really good and yeah, that barber right there just gave you one hell of a first hand anecdote about how hair mills seem to deal with donor areas. 

Just wanted to double check to make sure, but you aren't using any fibres or Toppik in that photo either are you? It makes it look even more interesting as a result imo. 

Haha! Thanks @NARMAK. To be clear I do have fibers on the top of my head as I did suffer from pretty bad shock loss 

2 hours ago, Midwestkid0324 said:

Haha! Thanks @NARMAK. To be clear I do have fibers on the top of my head as I did suffer from pretty bad shock loss 

No shame in that and thanks for being honest about using them. Just goes to show how effective hair fibres are in those early stages of the hair transplant and even more crucially for the so called "Ugly Duckling" phase. Grind it out bud, you're looking like you're on the right track for a solid result. Obviously best to get over the 12+ month finish line as hair transplants are a marathon but looking great so far! 

• Like 1

Hey all!

It has been a while since I posted and just wanted to provide an update.

June 24th will be 3 months since I had my HT at Eugenix. These past few months have flown by. My HT seems like ages ago but I’m only nearing the 90 day mark. 

The numb feeling in my donor and recipient areas has completely subsided. I can finally feel certain parts of my frontal scalp again. I know it takes a while for the nerves in this region to heal. 

I honestly haven’t shed as much as I thought I would. I’m seeing new hair grow in which is exciting. Looking forward to months 4-8 since that’s when most people say the growing kicks into overdrive!

Attached are pics taken today. I’ve been getting by with hair fibers and hats. I did have shock loss and so the hair on my mid scalp is growing back slowly. It’s starting to ramp up now which is encouraging. I’ve always had thinning in my crown so I’m worried that I won’t be able to achieve my previous hair length I had before my HT. It was easy taking the hair in surrounding areas and styling it to cover the crown.

As far as meds I’m mainly on Minoxidil and take a few supplements. I also use Nizoral 2x a week and dermaroll. I’m not taking Finasteride and have no plans to do so. I haven’t cut any of the hair on top of my head yet and mainly just get a fade on the sides and back. 

• Like 2

Here is a close up. I do have hair fibers on in this pic in the mid scalp region and crown. You can see where the transplant was done on the hair line. I have all these long wavy hairs growing in. Is this looking normal? At what point do I trim or cut these without jeopardizing my potential gains? 

• Like 2