Is it a Red Flag Having Surgery on the Weekend?

11 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

This is a free market, which means supply and demand. If there’s a high demand for surgeries on weekends, then the surgeons must supply. Why on earth would this be an issue, seriously sometimes these threads get ridiculous. 

Sure, it's a free market and like you said when demand increases, the doctor might start working weekends to make more money and make more customers happy. Or, the Dr doesn't have to supply weekend surgery and can continue a typical 5 day week with a longer wait list. You saying that it's ridiculous to ask questions about this seems harsh though. I'd bet that it's quite uncommon for most Dr's to perform weekend procedures. 

The risk is that the Dr and his team can be overworked or fatigued, thus lowering the quality. We are all human and can reach our limits and plenty of work studies reflect this. While I'm not saying that this is the case here, I don't think it's ridiculous or crazy for @SadMan2021 to inquire about it in this thread or even ask the Dr's office about it. In the end I'm sure everything goes well but having mild anxiety around this issue is ok. If fact, I believe this thread seems to have lowered his anxiety which means that this site and thread served its purpose, no?

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, JoeMan said:

Sure, it's a free market and like you said when demand increases, the doctor might start working weekends to make more money and make more customers happy. Or, the Dr doesn't have to supply weekend surgery and can continue a typical 5 day week with a longer wait list. You saying that it's ridiculous to ask questions about this seems harsh though. I'd bet that it's quite uncommon for most Dr's to perform weekend procedures. 

The risk is that the Dr and his team can be overworked or fatigued, thus lowering the quality. We are all human and can reach our limits and plenty of work studies reflect this. While I'm not saying that this is the case here, I don't think it's ridiculous or crazy for @SadMan2021 to inquire about it in this thread or even ask the Dr's office about it. In the end I'm sure everything goes well but having mild anxiety around this issue is ok. If fact, I believe this thread seems to have lowered his anxiety which means that this site and thread served its purpose, no?

You’re making assumptions. Working on the weekends = taking more patients. When in reality, its more patients want surgery on weekends. 

I know a lot of patients who have requested surgery on a weekend. Almost every surgeon I know works on the weekend, either doing a surgery or consultations. It would be a red flag in my opinion, if the surgeon said “sorry my weekends are off” now that would be something to worry about not vice versa. 

• Haha 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

21 minutes ago, JoeMan said:

If fact, I believe this thread seems to have lowered his anxiety which means that this site and thread served its purpose, no?

exactly, this thread has been very relieving to me and I got an incredible 1st hand account from a Mwamba patient which was very helpful. 

Not sure why the moderator has an issue with a thread that stems from a legitimate question and follows all forum rules. If anything I'm benefitting him by creating content and spurring conversation on this forum. 

Edited by SadMan2021
  • Like 1

• Administrators
Just now, SadMan2021 said:

exactly, this thread has been very relieving to me and I got an incredible 1st hand account from a Mwamba patient which was very helpful. 

Not sure why the moderator has an issue with a thread that stems from a legitimate question and all forum rules. If anything I'm benefitting him by creating content and spurring conversation on this forum. 

You’re misinterpreting having an issue, with believing it’s a nonsensical thread. If I had an issue I would’ve took it down. 

I’m allowed to interject my opinion, on the substance of the thread, which in my opinion is nonsense. Doesn’t mean it’s breaking the rules. Doesn’t mean you can’t ask the question. But it also doesn’t mean I can’t comment with an opinion. 

• Haha 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

1 hour ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I had my surgery on New Years eve and New Year. Did it matter? No. Many world renowned surgeons operate on weekends. 

This is a free market, which means supply and demand. If there’s a high demand for surgeries on weekends, then the surgeons must supply. Why on earth would this be an issue, seriously sometimes these threads get ridiculous. 

You do what you have to do for a patient.  The patient is the reason for our work.  Convenience is only the tip of the iceberg.  This should be a non issue as Melvin indicates.  And this, in now way, reflects on the talent nor experience of the surgeon. 

• Like 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

7 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

You’re making assumptions. Working on the weekends = taking more patients. When in reality, its more patients want surgery on weekends. 

I know a lot of patients who have requested surgery on a weekend. Almost every surgeon I know works on the weekend, either doing a surgery or consultations. It would be a red flag in my opinion, if the surgeon said “sorry my weekends are off” now that would be something to worry about not vice versa. 

You are correct I made that assumption. Since @SadMan2021didn't request a weekend surgery, I figured the Dr booked weekends due to load. Several patients in this forum requested Monday procedures as well. Personally I'd still consult the clinic and ask but that's me. Some people wouldn't think twice about it. 

You're right it's not a big issue and I'm not saying it is but I think you're off base implying that @SadMan2021 thread is ridiculous. It clearly helped him and may help others. While you live and breathe hair transplants, most of us are not informed on the inner workings of clinics so we post and ask questions here. I know if my Dr told me I was having neck surgery on a Sunday, I'd question it. Obviously the HT industry is different but we don't all know this. 

38 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

That's a good point. It's not about the days the doctor works rather it's the frequency the doctor conducts surgery and to what degree the doctor is delegating. 

I checked the hours for Dr. De Freitas and he only works Mon-Fri so it made me relieved to book a Monday date

• Like 1

1 minute ago, deeznuts said:

That's a good point. It's not about the days the doctor works rather it's the frequency the doctor conducts surgery and to what degree the doctor is delegating. 

I checked the hours for Dr. De Freitas and he only works Mon-Fri so it made me relieved to book a Monday date

Dr. Ferreira is Mon-Fr but surgery is only Tuesday-Friday. Monday is a consultation day I believe. 

16 minutes ago, dearwarsaw said:

To give everyone a better understanding of what it is like to deal with their customer service and what you can expect, I'm posting this series of emails. Check the dates!

That sounds like fun lol! Has your post op experience been the same? 

9 hours ago, JoeMan said:

That sounds like fun lol! Has your post op experience been the same? 

Carine, the nurse/technician, told me that I could contact her directly if I had any questions during my post op recovery. She got back to me the same day I emailed her. That was my only interaction with them after surgery.

1194648745_ScreenShot2022-03-22at23_02_56.png.6104d0084ede1eafb6cc13125ab6e599.png466663186_ScreenShot2022-03-22at23_03_11.thumb.png.ad3014c3cdc7e5d71ca967ab6919da19.png1497664008_ScreenShot2022-03-22at23_03_20.thumb.png.05cc74e3a63419fa94675ff7b2d4c4ff.png109140076_ScreenShot2022-03-22at23_03_31.thumb.png.8a0a25184420a438a74156a1f27d287d.png594422373_ScreenShot2022-03-22at23_03_40.thumb.png.b6750e326ab66b97359b58471fd26520.png2122483319_ScreenShot2022-03-22at23_03_48.png.a4725131f45dcd56ae5058a2d86f8706.png361620346_ScreenShot2022-03-22at23_04_12.thumb.png.a981f80816968d8a746dd2a8e5e1fe65.png1073296969_ScreenShot2022-03-22at23_04_27.thumb.png.f35deb3cbd269481e08fe22665117d93.png1615948822_ScreenShot2022-03-22at23_04_36.thumb.png.1aaf010c09fe4a4cbe337b397eee2ae0.png1239828676_ScreenShot2022-03-22at23_04_51.thumb.png.fc854facc31f33d8342443df0ca32305.png2099409274_ScreenShot2022-03-22at23_05_05.png.ab8f05eb9680af860583e9c406b7923f.png

Edited by dearwarsaw
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, shiba1985 said:

100% not a red flag. You sound like you would be an annoying patient overanalyzing every small shit. You have selected Dr Mwamba have some faith. I hope you didnt ask. 

How many surgeries have you had if you don't mind me asking? Honest question here...How many weekend procedures have you had?

What I don't understand is why some people come here to ridicule someone with honest concerns. Sure, this might not be something that you would be concerned with but if @SadMan2021 is, that doesn't make him a bad patient that scrutinizes "small shit". I'm not sure how your post helps support him, but instead you seem to try to belittle him and make him sound crazy for asking such a question. 

And if asking your Dr's office this question turns them off, then they have bad customer service. If they can't qualm someone's fears on minor issues with a quick text then maybe they need a new patient coordinator. I bet they get way more silly questions than this. 

If op has any doubts & given that surgery is booked months in advance, it's probably best to pull a plug. Having doubts & or uneasiness is lock of trust in set doc, & that is totaly understandable. If i felt same with my doc, i would cancel . Why put your nervous system thru unnecessary stress. There should be solid trust between patient & doctor. Because at the end of the day it will always bother you. Give it few days and see how you feel then make rational decision.

40 minutes ago, JoeMan said:

How many surgeries have you had if you don't mind me asking? Honest question here...How many weekend procedures have you had?

What I don't understand is why some people come here to ridicule someone with honest concerns. Sure, this might not be something that you would be concerned with but if @SadMan2021 is, that doesn't make him a bad patient that scrutinizes "small shit". I'm not sure how your post helps support him, but instead you seem to try to belittle him and make him sound crazy for asking such a question. 

And if asking your Dr's office this question turns them off, then they have bad customer service. If they can't qualm someone's fears on minor issues with a quick text then maybe they need a new patient coordinator. I bet they get way more silly questions than this. 

Two surgeries.

Ok go for it, ask doctors all kinds of questions. Ask them how much sleep they had the night before? When was the last time they drank alcohol? What they have for breakfast? 
you get the point. Where does it stop? 

the assumption to asking asinine question is that you will get a honest answer. And the reality is an unscrupulous physician will give you a dishonest answer, and convince you regardless. While an honest physician will possibly be turned off by irrelevant questions like this. 

listen I get it, you have to do your research and it is difficult to do that in this field, but Dr Mwamba is not some fly by doctor that has popped up his shop over night. He is a well regarded veteran in the field. You have done your research and selected him for a reason, to analyze what day and time of surgery etc. is neurotic. Just being blunt with you. . 

17 minutes ago, shiba1985 said:

Ok go for it, ask doctors all kinds of questions. Ask them how much sleep they had the night before? When was the last time they drank alcohol? What they have for breakfast? 
you get the point. Where does it stop? 

These examples seem over the top but obviously you feel this question is as well. 

17 minutes ago, shiba1985 said:

the assumption to asking asinine question is that you will get a honest answer. And the reality is an unscrupulous physician will give you a dishonest answer, and convince you regardless. While an honest physician will possibly be turned off by irrelevant questions like this. 

While I agree a bad surgeon will just lie to calm your fears, I honestly can't imagine an experienced Dr getting turned off by this question. To be honest, there is no way this question even makes it to him. The staff will answer it and it will only take a moment of their time.  

I think too much is being made about this on both sides. 

I don't think it's a big deal but I also don't think it's a big deal to ask. Honestly if my surgeon was turned off by this, then so be it.  

Now if someone asked the silly questions you presented above, then yeah, those are ridiculous and I'm sure you realize that they are in a different league of stupidity which are all personal questions anyway. 

Edited by JoeMan
  • Like 1