Hair Transplant Recommendation

I am 24 looking for a hair transplant surgeon that will do high grafts. My case is this prob norwood 2.5-3temples with crown thinning. I dont take fin because of side effects. I see amazing results with higher grafts and i have been told i have very solid donor area. Why not do a larger graft procedure with over 3k grafts now so i dont have to do antoher procedure for a long time as i continue to lose ground. I see 4-5k out of turkey look amazing from way worse spots. 

On another question, does anyone have any recs on surgeons in mexico that do great work at over 3k grafts cinluding turkish clinincs in mexico. I really do not want to go all the way to turkey. and if your question is why not the US, its because I feel like no one does larger procedures and its so expensive relative to the quality you get.  However, if you have a fair priced shop that would do a higher FUE procedure, feel free to shoot them below. 

Thanks!

• Confused 2

24, you're young.  If you've shown the propensity to lose, you will continue losing.  When?  Wish I knew.  So, you're thinning your corners and the crown.  While I understand the hesitation to use Fin, there is Rogaine, PRP and Laser.  These are external to you.  (And Fin is now available as a topical solution).  Why not try one of those or all of them?

High grafts? What does that mean? Are you referring to a higher graft count? This deserves commentary.

During any given consultation, it is the job of the doctor to do what you want - but also to keep you from doing things that he knows would not be in your best interest down the road.  (Example - placing a hairline in the middle of a forehead).  It is at this time that he estimates how he many grafts he can harvest from your donor.  (Thus, it is not what you need.  It is what he thinks he can get). This, in itself, means little.  Particularly if you're destined to lose all the hair in your head.

Go ahead and post some photos

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

• Administrators

Many red flags, low budget, very young, not on medication. Overall, I would advise against an HT at this moment.

• Like 5

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Rethink this, people get their heads wrecked having too many grafts. 3k for Auto FUE Is about the daily limit. Don’t believe all the flashy Insta/FB posts from these hairmills doing 4-5.5k per day, if you look through the forum you will see the damage it does. If your losing hair already then you don’t know how your hair loss will end up, you need to think long term, not short term. As @Melvin- Moderatormentioned I just see a lot of red flags here. 

Edited by J.A.C
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, LaserCaps said:

24, you're young.  If you've shown the propensity to lose, you will continue losing.  When?  Wish I knew.  So, you're thinning your corners and the crown.  While I understand the hesitation to use Fin, there is Rogaine, PRP and Laser.  These are external to you.  (And Fin is now available as a topical solution).  Why not try one of those or all of them?

High grafts? What does that mean? Are you referring to a higher graft count? This deserves commentary.

During any given consultation, it is the job of the doctor to do what you want - but also to keep you from doing things that he knows would not be in your best interest down the road.  (Example - placing a hairline in the middle of a forehead).  It is at this time that he estimates how he many grafts he can harvest from your donor.  (Thus, it is not what you need.  It is what he thinks he can get). This, in itself, means little.  Particularly if you're destined to lose all the hair in your head.

Go ahead and post some photos

So knowing im going to continue to lose, why not do it prememptively, what I really care about is a thicker front and fixing my hairline/ temples even with a thinned out crown. And to @Melvin- Moderator, budget is not that big of an issue, I would be willing to spend a good amount. 

In my opinion, If I have the solid donor area, I accept having to do more transplants down the road, and my primary concern is getting my front to something that is suitable. I have consulted with a decent amount of doctors in the US and most would operate on me. My utmost importance is having a nice front as I can always get a few grafts in the back and throw some toppik or hair fibers. If worst came to worst on the crown, even a partial system. 

Just now, Manofthehour15 said:

So knowing im going to continue to lose, why not do it prememptively, what I really care about is a thicker front and fixing my hairline/ temples even with a thinned out crown. And to @Melvin- Moderator, budget is not that big of an issue, I would be willing to spend a good amount. 

In my opinion, If I have the solid donor area, I accept having to do more transplants down the road, and my primary concern is getting my front to something that is suitable. I have consulted with a decent amount of doctors in the US and most would operate on me. My utmost importance is having a nice front as I can always get a few grafts in the back and throw some toppik or hair fibers. If worst came to worst on the crown, even a partial system. 

Who have you consulted with so far? Curious as to what was the graft count from them. A decent/ethical clinic would not go overboard with the grafts in one procedure, it carry’s too many risks. 

• Like 1

I second what everyone is saying. This is a major, life changing surgery and you want to put yourself in the best situation and think long term. Were you getting side effects from oral finasteride? If so, try topical finasteride. Also, try oral minoxidil as well since it's been proven to be effective and safe for the vast majority of patients. 

• Like 2

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

Maybe post some pictures so people can understand what you are dealing with. As far as Turkey, stay away for the most part. Only a couple worth considering. I agree that you should try topical fin and wait a few years but I know at 24 a few years seems so far away. 

Look up Dr. Nader in Mexico if you insist on Mexico. Better options are Dr Pinto or Dr Ferreira in Portugal and Dr. De Freitas in Spain for decent priced options. This is by no means the only Dr's to consider but it's a starting point for research. At your age I would think most good Dr's will be hesitant without a medical plan though. 

• Like 1

OP, as a young guy you need to understand that hair loss is progressive and if you can't take Finasteride because you got side affects then Minoxidil and other stuff as mentioned can help but they're not going to stop the underlying cause which is DHT like Finasteride is designed to. Nothing else on the market except maybe the topical Finasteride which usually has a lower side affect profile probably could help you in that respect. 

Overall i would strongly urge you to consider researching more about hair transplants because right now your understanding is at a very early stage regarding high grafts etc. 

Hair Transplants create an "Illusion of Density" which is that usually they rely on a rule of achieving approximately 50% of the original density you used to have to make it visually look similar. However sometimes even then the density could be less if its smartly designed and placed. This is done because if you ever had aggressive hair loss and needed up a Norwood 5 or greater in your 30s, it's gonna require a lot of grafts to cover the entire areas and even give it an illusion of density. Circa 6K grafts is what the average donor has in a candidate. 

Now, sometimes you can split these grafts up smartly and make triple hair grafts a single and a double for example, but again this depends on your donor and how many doubles, triples, quads etc. it has and its still not 100% ideal. 

Maybe you're part of the lucky generation that might get hair clone grafts but you'll still probably be in your late 40s to 50s when they actually become a reasonable price and even then you might think its expensive. 

You should probably wait a bit longer till you 25+ and tried some kinda of treatment to maintain your hair loss and do research. Also save up!

• Like 1

No finasteride?

If you get a hair transplant and not plan to take medication afterwards, it's going to be a downward spiral.
Have you tried Finasteride in the past? Do you indeed experience the side effects?

I've been on them for a year and no side effects personally.
If you're indeed one of the rare people who have said side effects, there is also a topical version of finasteride which does not affect any other part of the body.

On 3/9/2022 at 5:53 PM, JoeMan said:

Maybe post some pictures so people can understand what you are dealing with. As far as Turkey, stay away for the most part. Only a couple worth considering. I agree that you should try topical fin and wait a few years but I know at 24 a few years seems so far away. 

Look up Dr. Nader in Mexico if you insist on Mexico. Better options are Dr Pinto or Dr Ferreira in Portugal and Dr. De Freitas in Spain for decent priced options. This is by no means the only Dr's to consider but it's a starting point for research. At your age I would think most good Dr's will be hesitant without a medical plan though. 

Here are some pictures 

Edited by Manofthehour15
  • Like 1

• Valued Contributor

Thanks for sharing the pictures! To be honest I would be micro dosing finasteride. I couldn't tolerate and I have built up to 1mg every other day with zero side effects. I have a friend here in Melbourne who has done the same. If you still have no luck try topical finasteride. If you still have no luck then try topical dutasteride. You can combine micro needling and you could also try oral minoxidil. I had a great donor at 24 but I can promise you that DHT eventually effects all hair receptors to some extent and by 40 my donor was average. I had two hair transplants younger than you are now and it ruined any hope for me until now (due to research, patience and more research). You will be regretting ever having surgery if you were to have it now without stabilizing MPB.

• Like 1

You have to take finasteride based on the pictures I think 3K grafts would be enough to cover hairline and crown but without taking finasteride first don’t even bother it’s the only proven thing to stop further loss Dr Nader in Mexico is good it’s about 5k for 2k grafts if you take finasteride for a year and reassess maybe 2k grafts for the hairline and little bit on crown to be conservative 

This has become the Finansteride Forum and side effects are downplayed now all the time by a group of finansteride users. However, I  also see red flags in your case as the moderator phrased it.You should not get a HT , IMO. If you do have a HT, Fin is almost mandatory given your age and balding pattern,  otherwise, chances are you will be in a very bad spot in a not too distant future.

13 minutes ago, Mike10 said:

This has become the Finansteride Forum and side effects are downplayed now all the time by a group of finansteride users. However, I  also see red flags in your case as the moderator phrased it.You should not get a HT , IMO. If you do have a HT, Fin is almost mandatory given your age and balding pattern,  otherwise, chances are you will be in a very bad spot in a not too distant future.

It's extremely funny you call it the "Finasteride Forum" and nobody is downplaying side affects one bit. However the vast majority of people i know and probably many others can chime in, say they didn't use Finasteride not because they actually experienced side affects, but because of the possibility they could get them and usually the biggest one cited is the idea they'll get permanent ED. 

Now, anybody sensible would tell you as many here do to try Finasteride and slowly increase dosage over time to determine your personal tolerance level and if no side affects or they're within a tolerance you determine, then you can do the full 1mg/day dosage. 

The clinical studies and long term data suggest that Finasteride is safe without persistent and detrimental side affects for circa 98% or men and of the 2% that experience side affects, the vast majority recover  after stopping use and usually have underlying health issues that contributed to the side affects. 

Funny isn't it how that works. People constantly like to paint Finasteride as the villain but never once like to take responsibility for not doing things like blood tests and checking for any issues with their overall health before starting medication. 

Even @Melvin- Moderatorhas had to stop Finasteride due to side affects and yet that does not stop him ever recommending it for people who could benefit from it just because he was not able to.

So honestly i would love to know, why do you feel people downplay side affects here? Because they don't add to the FUD already out there probably stopping thousands of men from saving their hair because of a possibility that they don't even know would affect them? 

• Like 2