Norwood 3? HT candidate or weak donor?

Hi All,

Would love some opinions on my hair loss situation. I’m looking to get a HT to restore my hairline and add some density to the Centre of the hairline. 

My father is a Norwood 7 I’d say, and my mother has some brothers on her side of the family that are also Norwood 7s so it’s definitely in my family. 

I’m 35 and have been on finasteride for over 2 years. 

Ive had a couple of online consultations with some clinics with the most hopeful ones being:

HLC - who estimate 2500 - 3000 grafts to restore the hairline and,

FueCap - who similarly said 2500+
Bicer - estimated 3500+

I have some concerns around the the sides of my head being slightly weak / pretty light hair (retrograde alopecia?)

Ive always been really conscious about my receding hairline and recently it’s really starting to get to me. So I would love some thoughts on my pictures and the clinics listed above?

178CC7C0-E31C-4B1E-9370-6CFF3F32CACD.jpeg

EE66503E-46FA-498F-9B6E-763C46172B0C.jpeg

E507D37A-8153-42B7-80F1-BA9F7E183BC9.jpeg

58C853D1-83B1-4EAE-A6A2-D15C11E8182B.jpeg

5C2D59E3-B913-4A2A-AF4C-8444F041B351.jpeg

50FBD29A-1287-4F4A-B701-AF502F7B536A.jpeg

46FB3BC0-FFF1-4117-87C0-47CC928E4B53.jpeg

92D0D951-22DF-43AD-9BDD-4D6934D0DC72.jpeg

8FFCC954-5872-498C-BB55-C4390D45F2A0.jpeg

8B12C4F2-00F1-4EC0-9F96-62D480681FCA.jpeg

Edited by Casenova7
Add tags

Your age at 35 means you're in the typically more safer age zone, you taken Finasteride for 2 years and your hair loss seems stable on the whole. 

That said, i do think you could be right about slight retrograde alopecia around the sides of the ears and a little part of the lower neck. 

The more central donor area though towards the safer zones looks stronger though and viable. 

There's probably going to be concerns around you being able to probably get future coverage but the curlier/wavy hair should help with that imo. 

The fact you consulted with HLC who are reputable and recommended as well as the others seems to indicate that they think you'd be okay to go ahead. 

The limitations however of any possible results in visual appearance is probably something you need to personally take into account. The sides over the ear and lower part of the neck will probably look as they do but there's no reason that many grafts can't give you a solid framing to your face by sorting the frontal hairline. Your temple points look fine atm and probably don't need to be worked on so just lowering the hairline a touch and closing in those temporal points will possibly get you the result you want. 

Donor density is lower than average but that is offset by good hair characteristics (curly) which mean you have get a denser looking outcome for fewer grafts.

Sides of the donor are usually lower density than the back so nothing untoward by that.

I would suggest on the lower end of 2000 grafts total and a fairly conservative hairline.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Thanks for the responses guys, appreciate it.

I’m going to be traveling a long way for the procedure (Australia) so I’m nervous about committing to this only for the clinic to question my donor area when I get the in person consultation. 

• Valued Contributor
28 minutes ago, Casenova7 said:

Thanks for the responses guys, appreciate it.

I’m going to be traveling a long way for the procedure (Australia) so I’m nervous about committing to this only for the clinic to question my donor area when I get the in person consultation. 

Are you saying that you are traveling to 'Australia' to have the procedure?

Boy at this stage you sure do not look like you are heading towards NW7 . I would agree with the assessment of HLC 2500-3000 grafts. The clinic needs to take a closer at the donor with physical consultation before operation

Edited by Mike10
  • Thanks 1

• Valued Contributor

This is only my opinion but if you are basing your outcome by using a budget as your first criteria then I would start again with results that match your hair type and loss. I wouldn't be looking at Turkey but if you are I IMHO I would be looking at Dr Bicer. All the best!

• Like 2

IMHO, it appears that you have great hair characteristics!

• Like 2

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY