Finasteride Resistance

Baldingat22

It is very hard to say when the efficacy of finasteride will wane off. People who have shown signs of aggressive baldness at young age have retained their hair for a long long time being on the drug and in some cases never lost any ground at all like in @MazAB's case. But there are also some who have lost ground within 2-3 years. For some it isn't even enough to halt the progression. So it's case sensitive. The better long term option is to continue on fin and when you're sure that it isn't as effective as it used to be, you can through in one day of dut 0.5 per week along with the fin to see how it works. Do plan all actions with the consultation and under supervision of a doctor.

Edited by Drish
  • Like 2

@Baldingat22 I do agree with @Drish, the physiological makeup is different for everyone. I too am concerned about finasteride losing its kick for me after multiple decades of use. My plan is to microneedle about at the 10 month mark of my transplant, and add in topical Dutasteride weekly after the my microneedling sessions. Every day otherwise I'd be taking oral finasteride and topical minoxidil. Hopefully that helps as an added insurance to not losing any more hair post transplant. 

Edited by MazAB
  • Like 2

Also another thing to keep in mind is that the amount of free testosterone you have in you early 20's compared to your mid 30's, 40s and beyond, diminishes quite a bit. With less T over the years you naturally have less DHT as well. So even if Finasteride loses some of its efficacy over the years, the negative effects of DHT also diminish, so many times it can balance out. But again, every body is different. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MazAB said:

Also another thing to keep in mind is that the amount of free testosterone you have in you early 20's compared to your mid 30's, 40s and beyond, diminishes quite a bit. With less T over the years you naturally have less DHT as well. So even if Finasteride loses some of its efficacy over the years, the negative effects of DHT also diminish, so many times it can balance out. But again, every body is different. 

Thank you. Yes been on 1mg fin and feel it has halted my hair loss but worried it will lose effects over time. I’m 22 and don’t plan on getting an HT until 26-28 range so ideally I’d like to keep hair loss minimal until then. I hate topical minox due to skin sensitive so will never use that again but I’ve thought of adding oral minox I’m just scared I’ll have to take it lifelong and I’ll develop some skin condition or facial hair growth. I did just recently add .5mg dut once a week but who knows.

In most cases, you will constinue to slowly lose gound under Finansteride in the long term. It is also possible that you will side effects under Finasteride in the long term. For some patients, Finasteride completely stops working although that is more likely for patients with aggressive MPB. 

• Like 1

The breakdown of testosterone to DHT is continuous and we know DHT is an irritant to the follicle.  Fin, being a DHT blocker, will likely help.  Rogaine, PRP and Laser are the other modalities we typically refer to when dealing with this condition.  The mechanism of action of each it totally different and are thus synergistic when used simultaneously.  While I do agree everyone is different, there are certain "things" that tend to be universal with the use of the meds,

Propecia/Fin tends to halt hair loss for as long as you take it.  I've never encountered a patient who loss effectiveness over time. (I have been on it for over 25 years and things have not changed).

Rogaine (now available in pill form), tends to be effective for about 7 years and then it loses some effectiveness.  The suggestion is to continue its use. Most people are under the impression it is not working any more, stop all together only to see the loss they would have experienced had it not been for the medication.  

There is more testosterone under Propecia so why people experience a side effect is beyond me.  (That's the way I've always thought about it and have never experienced a side effect).  

And the debate continues.......Every year, it seems, we learn more and more about the long term use of these modalities.  Regardless, I plan to continue their use.  Can you imagine a hair restoration consultant without hair? 

Visit with your doctor, continue researching and keep in mind there are other modalities you can add to the mix. Take a set of photos and put them away so you can keep track of your progress.  

• Like 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

1 hour ago, LaserCaps said:

The breakdown of testosterone to DHT is continuous and we know DHT is an irritant to the follicle.  Fin, being a DHT blocker, will likely help.  Rogaine, PRP and Laser are the other modalities we typically refer to when dealing with this condition.  The mechanism of action of each it totally different and are thus synergistic when used simultaneously.  While I do agree everyone is different, there are certain "things" that tend to be universal with the use of the meds,

Propecia/Fin tends to halt hair loss for as long as you take it.  I've never encountered a patient who loss effectiveness over time. (I have been on it for over 25 years and things have not changed).

Rogaine (now available in pill form), tends to be effective for about 7 years and then it loses some effectiveness.  The suggestion is to continue its use. Most people are under the impression it is not working any more, stop all together only to see the loss they would have experienced had it not been for the medication.  

There is more testosterone under Propecia so why people experience a side effect is beyond me.  (That's the way I've always thought about it and have never experienced a side effect).  

And the debate continues.......Every year, it seems, we learn more and more about the long term use of these modalities.  Regardless, I plan to continue their use.  Can you imagine a hair restoration consultant without hair? 

Visit with your doctor, continue researching and keep in mind there are other modalities you can add to the mix. Take a set of photos and put them away so you can keep track of your progress.  

Thank you. I’ve actually been wanting to meet with Dr. Arocha for awhile actually.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Baldingat22 said:

Thank you. I’ve actually been wanting to meet with Dr. Arocha for awhile actually.

Call 713-526-4247 to schedule an appointment.  Virtually or an in-person evaluation.  

• Like 1

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

20 hours ago, LaserCaps said:

The reality is that in most cases Fin will NOT halt hair loss in the long term as most patients will continue to progress slowly. That is why most patients will need further HT work even while under Fin. 

Fin can definitely can lose efficiency. In patients with aggressive MPB it is entirely possible the genes over power the medication.

Are you serious in implying that sides do not exist under Fin? 

Edited by Mike10

3 hours ago, Mike10 said:

The reality is that in most cases Fin will NOT halt hair loss in the long term as most patients will continue to progress slowly. That is why most patients will need further HT work even while under Fin. 

Fin can definitely can lose efficiency. In patients with aggressive MPB it is entirely possible the genes over power the medication.

Are you serious in implying that sides do not exist under Fin? 

There are millions of people in this earth, and everyone is different.  There are hereditary conditions, propensities, etc.  The majority of the patients I've met with over the years have retained while on the medication. me included.  Some do experience the side effect, so it does happen.  Mental? Perhaps.  If hair is important to you, try the other modalities and see if they help you.  

Not sure where you're getting your research but I do not agree with you.  Superlatives tend to be never true. 

There are many reasons why people seek multiple procedures, not just the use Fin or lack of.  

There is plenty of research on the subject - and sides do happen.  (Not sure where you're getting this)?

• Like 1

Its not about developing "resistance" or 'losing effectiveness.' Finasteride lowers DHT by up to 70%, Dutasteride by up to 90s% range. If that's not enough suppression to overcome your personal genetics in the long run, you're going to continue to lose ground. Hopefully at a much slower rate. There is an unfortunate minority out there that are just too sensitive to DHT. But for most guys it will either halt the loss, or slow it down enough so that hair transplants can more easily make up for the lost hairs that were the most vulnerable.

The best you can do for now is keep a photographic record of your hair for reference, in conjunction with HT doctor consultations to monitor your progress and help you decide on medication changes and when to get hair transplants. And stay hopeful for better new treatments in the future.

Edited by ciaus

What are all your thoughts on stacking Oral Minox with Fin? I really don’t want to be on oral minox forever but it sounds like I’d have to. Fin/DUt I’m fine taking forever but maybe a link with stopping during sex idk I’ve seen that some place if trying to have a kid.