Hairline planning for upcoming procedure (less than a week!)

Hello,

I am looking for some advice on planning out my new hairline for my procedure that I have upcoming (next week!). The Dr. and I have been emailing back and forth and he drew an initial hairline on one of my consultation photos, but as expected it isn't very detailed and is more or less just a line drawn across my head.

Here are some photos of my current hairline, my main purpose of the procedure is to reduce the size of my forehead and I am especially curious if I should opt to have any grafts added to my temples as well. 

Any advice/recommendation is very much appreciated!

4FC8AE82-BF35-4EBF-8548-1CF32039C5FC.jpeg

574CBD51-4B45-4AF4-9F90-9452154653CB.jpeg

AB22074F-5385-4E17-8768-BEAC314F6B66.jpeg

02066620-21DB-4728-9F5E-35571A14A6F5.jpeg

66583087-8E67-45F9-B00D-6F6B3CA48F7D.jpeg

Edited by rr1992

Your hairline seems to sit far back so it's going to take a decent amount of grafts to lower it. The apparent rule of thumb is 1000 grafts i think for around 1cm for the frontal hairline. 

Tbh, i think it looks like you have got a handle on your hair loss generally atm. Are you taking medication like Finasteride? 

There's a video on YouTube from Eugenix that is about hairline positioning. Showing pictures only paints part of the picture imo but ultimately the way your hairline can be done in a hair transplant is limited by your personal hair loss situation and your donor area. 

If you really wanted to, you could front load your hairline and midscalp and leave the crown bald in the future. Some choose to do that 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AA1989 said:

Useful reading: https://shapiromedical.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/article_hairline-design.pdf

What is the distance between your glabella (blue line on image) and the start of your current hairline?

image.png.baa5a82628334f409702fcd058940974.png

@AA1989- Thanks for the info. It is roughly 4in from my glabella to my hairline.

@NARMAK- I've been on finasteride for the last 5 months. Was on it for several years a few years ago. My crown hasn't lost any hair, I think my losses are just the normal recession that comes with a maturing hairline. I just don't like my forehead, so looking to drop hairline a bit. The doctor has estimated 2300-2500 grafts.

Edited by rr1992

• Valued Contributor

You look quite young (or am I just old?). One very real thing to bare in mind is that whatever hairline design that you and your surgeon come up with it has to be age appropriate over the entire lifespan. You want to grow into your hairline and not out of it as you get older. Generally when it comes to temple points the lower the hairline the more important the degree of temple points become. There are a lot of other factors that also come into play as @NARMAK has touched on that also need to be taken into account. If you have done your home work and have chosen an excellent surgeon recommended by the forum then he/she will be taking all of these variable into account. All the best moving forward!

OP, looking at your picture again, it seems like you might want to think about whether you'd be happier in your hairline design if you maybe had the temple points reconstructed somewhat. 

Usually they help give a better framing to the face and that might be what helps you be happier with the hairline design. 

Lowering it but not having the temple points worked on could be what makes you feel like it isn't "complete" sometimes. 

Very few places imo can do it well, so do your research. 

If it was me, I’d definitely have work on the temple points to better frame the face.  As for design, there are many different approaches, and your doctor probably has his preferences, so you’ll have to wait until he shows you what he thinks is best 

Check out my journey here:

3 hours ago, rr1992 said:

@AA1989- Thanks for the info. It is roughly 4in from my glabella to my hairline.

@NARMAK- I've been on finasteride for the last 5 months. Was on it for several years a few years ago. My crown hasn't lost any hair, I think my losses are just the normal recession that comes with a maturing hairline. I just don't like my forehead, so looking to drop hairline a bit. The doctor has estimated 2300-2500 grafts.

There appears a mismatch in your expectations and the procedure the doctor is proposing (based on the number of grafts)

1. How old are you?
  2. What is your family history of hair loss?
  3. When did your hair loss start, and how has it progressed over time?
  4. Regarding the glabella measurement, where would you like your new hairline to start?
  5. Have you noticed improvements during the time you have been on finasteride?
  6. Which doctor have you chosen?
  7. Have you seen independent reviews, where the doctor has performed temple point reconstruction? (It's tricky to get right and easy to get wrong!)

Can you please share the doctor and clinic name?

Please be aware that any clown with a marker can draw a good hairline during the consult, and screw it up during surgery. 

On the actual surgery date, I would just be very very very specific on how you want your hairline to look. 

4 hours ago, SadMan2021 said:

Can you please share the doctor and clinic name?

Please be aware that any clown with a marker can draw a good hairline during the consult, and screw it up during surgery. 

On the actual surgery date, I would just be very very very specific on how you want your hairline to look. 

@SadMan2021 Dr is Kongkiat Laorwong

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AA1989 said:

There appears a mismatch in your expectations and the procedure the doctor is proposing (based on the number of grafts)

1. How old are you?
  2. What is your family history of hair loss?
  3. When did your hair loss start, and how has it progressed over time?
  4. Regarding the glabella measurement, where would you like your new hairline to start?
  5. Have you noticed improvements during the time you have been on finasteride?
  6. Which doctor have you chosen?
  7. Have you seen independent reviews, where the doctor has performed temple point reconstruction? (It's tricky to get right and easy to get wrong!)

@AA1989 and others. I think this answers all the questions that have been asked.

1. 29

2. Dad has MPB. 2 of 4 sons have MPB.

3. I don’t know when it started. I’ve never lost hair from crown nor have I had noticeable hair loss. Just seen my hairline creep up little by little for years. I’ve always had a high hairline though so hard to say how much.

4. I’m not sure where exactly. I just want a lower hairline and smaller forehead. It’s hard to visualize so hard to say where exactly.

5. Again never noticed active hair loss so not sure, but continue to take it to prevent any loss.

6. Dr. Kongkiat Laorwong

7. I’ve looked at Laorwong’s reviews and results extensively. Some included temple work. I didn’t see even one result that didn’t look great IMO.

2. I would look at your grandfathers and dad as a direction of travel for your hair loss. Did your dad have a similar pattern of hair loss at your age? What is his Norwood? (these are questions you need to ask yourself to get a handle on your hair loss progression).

4. Get an eyeliner pencil and draw on where you want your new hairline( it may take a few attempts to get it right). Take some photos. It's much easier to be objective looking at a photo rather than in the mirror. Try to avoid raising your eyebrows. We instinctively do it to minimise the size of our forehead. Let your doctor see where you would like your hairline. He will guide you on the costings both financially and graft countwise.