Schreiber Review - DMV HT

Maed88

The HT: I had an FUT procedure with 1000* grafts to fill in receding temples.

The good: Dr. Schreiber is nice and personable. In retrospect, the consultation (and later on, the check up appointments) is a bit rushed but he does answer all your questions if you have them. Staff is also nice and attentive. I had a couple of questions post-op, before my two week follow up, and he was responsive and available. The direction the hair grows, which I’ve read can be an issue, also seems generally fine. 

The rest: Overall, I’m unhappy with my first transplant results. I paid a premium price for subpar results. A HT is a long game and I’ve tried to be patient but the results have caused me significant stress and more anguish than my original recessed hairline. While I don’t regret getting a HT, I do wish I had started it differently. My issues are the uneven sides and overall lack of density as well as pitting. 

The procedure - there were two techs working on either side. One side is more sparse compared to the other. Unsurprisingly, the side with the most density is the one where one tech spent more time than the other (I’m assuming she was literally adding more grafts). It’s also the side where I have noticeable pitting. Schreiber is out of the room the majority of time the grafts are being placed.

The hairline -  It’s too straight, and masculine (every time I look at it, I find it off putting. I couldn’t put my finger then realized it’s because it reminds me of the photo posted here: https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/51718-wobbly-vs-straight-hairlines/ ). I had specifically asked about creating a feminine hairline. I was worried about this since most HT surgeries are performed on men. He assured me that this wouldn’t be a problem. He drew the hairline guide after I had gotten all the injections. I thought it looked fine but I’m not sure a drugged patient about to start a procedure was the best time to ask for a good assessment. 

*The grafts - 1000 grafts was too conservative an assessment for the density I needed. I noted in another post that at my 10 month check up, Schreiber said I “actually” got 2000 grafts. I was quoted a price of “$10/graft for 1000 grafts” over the phone. The same was then confirmed during the consultation. I paid $10,000. I would’ve liked to have been a one and done with the surgery (and I could’ve been. My case wasn’t complex or difficult), and another surgeon could’ve have done better with 2000 grafts. The 1000 grafts also made more sense since he also said that many folks need a second transplant so I chalked it up to him being a conservative doctor generally. But instead, I apparently got a two for one? I don’t know what to believe at this point. The one thing I know for sure is that I need another procedure anyways. 

The donor site/scar - I hated the recovery for the FUT procedure. Taking out the staples hurt a lot. I have long hair so the scar is both hard to find and impossible to see day to day. There is a 2 inch area on one side that healed improperly and it’s just bald. It’s sometimes noticeable when I put my hair up haphazardly. Other than when I got my staples out, he never checked my scar during follows up, but I don’t know if that’s standard. 

The final check-up - my 10-month check up was where the 1000 vs 2000 thing came up. I’m still baffled by that (if it wasn’t obvious already).  He said everything looked great. Since I wanted more density he said I could do another procedure. He didn’t say how many more grafts I would need (I didn’t ask) but that the first 100 would be free since it was my second procedure. The pitting he couldn’t see. I didn’t bring up my concern for the hairline shape but he brought up that he thought that looked great too.

It was clear overall that we just had very different opinions on whether or not this procedure was good. He suggested I come back in 6 months but needless to say, I’m not interested in going back. 

The photos attached are the most recent. I tried to include different angles.

I need to wait to hit the 1-year mark before seeing other surgeons for consultations for the second procedure (at the recommendation of doctors I’ve already reached out to). I’m hopeful that I can correct the hairline shape, and add more density. I’m honestly most worried about correcting the pitting (and infuriated that, from what I’ve read, pitting is a technical and amateur mistake). 

I’m not sure why there are no real reviews of his work on these forums. There’s one footnote by user @lpants whose experience does not surprise me given my own. 

While I wish I could get my money back and do it right with another surgeon, I’ve mostly stopped beating myself up about it. I hope this post helps other people considering him in the future. 

There’s a lot of good advice on this forum. The one thing I want to repeat, highlight, and underscore for folks considering a transplant - Don’t rule out travel. I did. I thought I had chosen a quality surgeon and I wouldn’t have to worry about travel. Mistake. And guess what? Now I’m going to have to travel anyways. And pay at least twice as much than if I had gone to a top doctor in the first place. 

54F4C92B-7364-4F3E-B9D2-7CCA54B8DF4E.jpeg

660416C8-D029-4D7C-ACB0-9D743ABBA8F9.jpeg

BA34C6AD-74D1-4B87-9E71-8BAD03E1D9E7.jpeg

53796FE3-E273-4157-A14C-5FDDA5767427.jpeg

BF5CAF97-CDBF-4262-9976-4155EC1E953E.jpeg

8CE8F217-B2C8-453C-97AA-382F2D975F7E.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Maed88 said:

The HT: I had an FUT procedure with 1000* grafts to fill in receding temples.

The good: Dr. Schreiber is nice and personable. In retrospect, the consultation (and later on, the check up appointments) is a bit rushed but he does answer all your questions if you have them. Staff is also nice and attentive. I had a couple of questions post-op, before my two week follow up, and he was responsive and available. The direction the hair grows, which I’ve read can be an issue, also seems generally fine. 

The rest: Overall, I’m unhappy with my first transplant results. I paid a premium price for subpar results. A HT is a long game and I’ve tried to be patient but the results have caused me significant stress and more anguish than my original recessed hairline. While I don’t regret getting a HT, I do wish I had started it differently. My issues are the uneven sides and overall lack of density as well as pitting. 

The procedure - there were two techs working on either side. One side is more sparse compared to the other. Unsurprisingly, the side with the most density is the one where one tech spent more time than the other (I’m assuming she was literally adding more grafts). It’s also the side where I have noticeable pitting. Schreiber is out of the room the majority of time the grafts are being placed.

The hairline -  It’s too straight, and masculine (every time I look at it, I find it off putting. I couldn’t put my finger then realized it’s because it reminds me of the photo posted here: https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/51718-wobbly-vs-straight-hairlines/ ). I had specifically asked about creating a feminine hairline. I was worried about this since most HT surgeries are performed on men. He assured me that this wouldn’t be a problem. He drew the hairline guide after I had gotten all the injections. I thought it looked fine but I’m not sure a drugged patient about to start a procedure was the best time to ask for a good assessment. 

*The grafts - 1000 grafts was too conservative an assessment for the density I needed. I noted in another post that at my 10 month check up, Schreiber said I “actually” got 2000 grafts. I was quoted a price of “$10/graft for 1000 grafts” over the phone. The same was then confirmed during the consultation. I paid $10,000. I would’ve liked to have been a one and done with the surgery (and I could’ve been. My case wasn’t complex or difficult), and another surgeon could’ve have done better with 2000 grafts. The 1000 grafts also made more sense since he also said that many folks need a second transplant so I chalked it up to him being a conservative doctor generally. But instead, I apparently got a two for one? I don’t know what to believe at this point. The one thing I know for sure is that I need another procedure anyways. 

The donor site/scar - I hated the recovery for the FUT procedure. Taking out the staples hurt a lot. I have long hair so the scar is both hard to find and impossible to see day to day. There is a 2 inch area on one side that healed improperly and it’s just bald. It’s sometimes noticeable when I put my hair up haphazardly. Other than when I got my staples out, he never checked my scar during follows up, but I don’t know if that’s standard. 

The final check-up - my 10-month check up was where the 1000 vs 2000 thing came up. I’m still baffled by that (if it wasn’t obvious already).  He said everything looked great. Since I wanted more density he said I could do another procedure. He didn’t say how many more grafts I would need (I didn’t ask) but that the first 100 would be free since it was my second procedure. The pitting he couldn’t see. I didn’t bring up my concern for the hairline shape but he brought up that he thought that looked great too.

It was clear overall that we just had very different opinions on whether or not this procedure was good. He suggested I come back in 6 months but needless to say, I’m not interested in going back. 

The photos attached are the most recent. I tried to include different angles.

I need to wait to hit the 1-year mark before seeing other surgeons for consultations for the second procedure (at the recommendation of doctors I’ve already reached out to). I’m hopeful that I can correct the hairline shape, and add more density. I’m honestly most worried about correcting the pitting (and infuriated that, from what I’ve read, pitting is a technical and amateur mistake). 

I’m not sure why there are no real reviews of his work on these forums. There’s one footnote by user @lpants whose experience does not surprise me given my own. 

While I wish I could get my money back and do it right with another surgeon, I’ve mostly stopped beating myself up about it. I hope this post helps other people considering him in the future. 

There’s a lot of good advice on this forum. The one thing I want to repeat, highlight, and underscore for folks considering a transplant - Don’t rule out travel. I did. I thought I had chosen a quality surgeon and I wouldn’t have to worry about travel. Mistake. And guess what? Now I’m going to have to travel anyways. And pay at least twice as much than if I had gone to a top doctor in the first place. 

54F4C92B-7364-4F3E-B9D2-7CCA54B8DF4E.jpeg

660416C8-D029-4D7C-ACB0-9D743ABBA8F9.jpeg

BA34C6AD-74D1-4B87-9E71-8BAD03E1D9E7.jpeg

53796FE3-E273-4157-A14C-5FDDA5767427.jpeg

BF5CAF97-CDBF-4262-9976-4155EC1E953E.jpeg

8CE8F217-B2C8-453C-97AA-382F2D975F7E.jpeg

That is some really poor work. Good that you have the courage to do a review and put up photos even though you are unsatisfied, it might help some potential patients of this Dr to reach out to someone else instead.

What a f...ing loser though as a humanbeing Dr Schreiber is for not taking the responsibility and admit that this result was not what he was aiming for and get you a refund is the least he could do, but some people you just wonder how they sleep at night.

You can always consult with some good Drs now and get a date set if you have the budget right now. Many of them are busy for a year or so. 

For US, I think Dr Cooley would be a good option. For Europe, Dr Bisanga, Dr Mwamba, Dr Feriduni, Dr Cuoto, Dr Bruno Ferreira, Dr Bruno Pinto etc.

You will get this sorted, no worries. 

Edited by digi23
  • Like 3

oof this sounds alot like my 1st surgery 3 years ago, and am actively looking for a repair now! i get angry in hindsight that I was so naive and dumb about this procedure. It's a very complex surgery only a few dozen or so doctors in the world are truly capable of nailing.

It is massively irritating to have to travel for surgery - no one wants to do that - but yes just like you I 1st went to a local doc and now I'm going to travel anyway 🤣

Edited by SadMan2021
  • Like 2

• Administrators

I’m sorry you’re going through this experience. There’s another female on Instagram who went to Dr. Bisanga, please pm her, I’ve asked her to post here. This is what results should look like. 

I can help route you to a surgeon who can fix this for you. I have a few names in mind.

2D1AA456-115A-4BB4-80CD-A822FE210E6D.jpeg

Here’s her profile 

https://instagram.com/female_ht?utm_medium=copy_link

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 1 month later...

@Rolo when grafts are placed too deep inside the incision, it creates these little pits - hence pitting. From what I read, it’s not super common now a days because it’s largely due to a very poorly skilled surgeon or tech.