Realistically speaking, how soon after HT is it safe to train at high intensity level?

Although I work in the city, I normally train in the evenings 3 days a week cardio and 3 days heavy resistance training so 6 days a week in total (in order to compete for local competition).

Now its been over a week since I did my HT and I understand normally after 2 weeks it is ok to train lightly but when is it safe to train at high intensity (both cardio and weight training)?

Btw: when we say to wait 2 weeks to train, is this more for the donor area to heal or to allow more time for the new grafts to settle in? Would the grafted hairs be disturbed by training intensively?

do you know how wide the strip was they took and what was your scalp laxity like. I had 4100 grafts and I was back in the gym on day 7 doing 50% of normal weight 15 to 20 reps a set, no bench press, no chins, no squats, shrugs or deadlifts and especially no situps. I just worked the muscles with more isolation movements. I did pulldowns to the front as well. I was back up to normal weights in 5 weeks after getting back to the gym but i gradually increased the weight carefully over that time. Also dont hold your breath during movements, breath continuously so you dont build up cranial pressure and do the movements slowly with full control. I noticed stinging in the scar from the sweat for 2 weeks. i did the stationary bike for 30 or 40 minutes for legs, no problem.Bike slower with high resistance and your legs will grow. The main thing is avoiding the scar stretching. the grafts will be fine. I think jogging after 2 weeks would be ok too but no sprints.....my opinion here, others may say wait longer....cheers

sunny

Not 100% sure how wide the strip was but it was the usual U shape strip i.e. from back straight and up to the sides (2750 grafts).

In terms of training its really the compound free movement exercises that I needed to do (i.e. free weights) so I guess I can stick to some isolation exercises (using machines) for now.

Just thinking, bench press or squats wouldn't put strain on neck/scalp would it? I would have thought something like lat bar pulldowns would more likely put more pressure on those areas.

I did seated upright machine bench press so that the back of my head wasnt touching any bench. I wouldnt do squats personally. just the un-natural position of the head and arms and the pressure you build up in the body and head when you push up. Look at cyclists legs....what does that tell you about the bike.

I did curls, pushdowns, bench dips, seated rows and seated machine press. just be careful of the pressing movement over your head, it works the traps too which can pull on the suture line. lateral raises would be ok too just dont lift too high with it. The pulldowns I did were light and high reps to the front. no problems.

For abs I used the cable machine, bending forward and down with the pushdown rope. works great. you can get a good workout with light weights and higher reps and the change is actually good for growth. In 4 or 5 weeks or so you'll be back to your normal size and shape. you can also do more aerobic work and get the bodyfat level down.

just be careful and work the weights back up slowly with full control and breathe thru the movement. You'll quickly get a feel for what you can do and what you cant. I competed for 3 years in NZ when I was in my late 20s. whens your next comp. cheers

sunny

I teach thai boxing on the side and I was back to my regular routine in 2 weeks. I went for a 10K run after 1 week. I was back to 100% cardio intensity after about 3 weeks.

I've not done any weight-lifting nor have a sparred since my surgery, almost 7 weeks ago.

I always feel the blood rush to the recipient and donor area when I'm training, but I don't think (fingers crossed) I've done any damage.

I started running again after a week and was definitely lifting and swimming again after two weeks. Just be careful about putting strain on the donor and recipient areas and use common sense. If it's hurting or causing discomfort, back off.

My advice is take off about 6 weeks to two months. I mean, this is too important. It won't take long to get back in shape.

You can still feel it after month on the bench, particularly the 'scar' area.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

just to be clear as I noticed different views here, the grafts/recipient area are unaffected by intensive training? It is only just the donor scar we are concerned about here?

It's just the donor scar.

I started doing heavy deadlifts and squats about 3 weeks after surgery, that was a mistake that stretched my scar very much.

Personally, I would avoid squats and deadlifts for 3 months, and the bench for 2 months.

You may also want to restrain yourself with pulldowns and chin ups.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

gtz,

I emailed Dr. Hasson regarding this same concern. I use to compete as well when I was in college, and still like to train with high intensity. He told me to wait 6 months to squat / deadlift with real heavy weight (going to failure 6-8 reps). Other than that, he said you're fine...just be smart. As for now, I train heavy but I'm not where I was prior to the surgery. Some people don't like to train lats (pullups, pulldowns) a few months following the surgery but that doesn't bother me...so I think you just have to experiment with what exercises you can and can't do. Good luck

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson