Is it normal to doubt?

I have a question. I am currently around three months and three weeks into my hair transplant. I know that around this amount of time, most of the grafts have not quite started to grow yet. Regardless, I still find myself doubting that any more follicles will sprout. I have this feeling inside my gut that all the follicles have already grown, and that I will end up with a relatively sparse result. I know it is not very logical, just wondering if other people experience the same doubts as well.

As a side question, mostly to reassure myself, what is the maximum percentage of grafts that I could have gotten so far at the three month and three week mark?

• Like 2

Check out my journey here:

Most of us go through this same thing. Doubt and regret and panic and worry. For most people, your hair hasn’t even begun to sprout at 3-4 months. My hairline was an early grower but my crown lagged a lot. And for other people the hairline lags on time as well. Just give it more time and reassess at 6-7 months 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Fue3361 said:

As a side question, mostly to reassure myself, what is the maximum percentage of grafts that I could have gotten so far at the three month and three week mark?

You are just starting the really good growth period. Months 4 through 6 is where most people get the big improvements.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Sometimes I think it’s the fear of failure when we don’t see growth occurring…but just give it a little more time…it will come.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hair should start growing by 4 months. Around month 6, you should be able to tell what the end result will look like (but hair will very much still be growing in). 

After Month 8, only miracle cases will have significant more growth. Hair can thicken and soften up to 2 years after the HT, but these texture changes will not be game changing. 

TLDR: If hair doesn't start growing in Month 4 you may be a late bloomer. Start getting concerned and thinking about a touch-up/repair procedure if its Month 6 or 7 and you haven't seen significant growth. 

Welcome to the doldrums.  Every hair transplant patient experiences it. It’s normal to experience and have doubts. I’m personally a four time hair transplant patient and each and every time, I had doubts about whether or not all of the new hair would grow in and I would fear that I got back into the surgical chair for nothing. I happen to be one who experiences shock loss in addition so I typically look a lot worse before I look better and that’s true for a lot of people. So after three hair transplants and three months after the fourth, I was worried that I made the biggest mistake of my life. But everything turned out great. I’m very happy that I underwent surgery all four times.   Three months is only the beginning.  Patients typically only start experiencing new growth between 3 to 5 months and it takes up to a year to 18 months to mature.

best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.