Question for Dr. Carlos Wesley About Megasessions

Hello! I have a question for Dr Wesley, and I think everyone can benefit from the answer,

I highly respect Dr Wesley but have noticed that he does not seem to do sessions above where more than 3000 grafts are moved. I also saw that he wrote on another forum post here that "sessions continue to grow (for better or for worse)." Is this due to blood supply and graft survival rate? I am just trying to understand what the safe upper limit of grafts should be per session is in his opinion and why he does not tend to go too high with graft count.

@Office of Dr. Wesley @Dr. Carlos Wesley

• Moderators

I'm not affiliated with Dr Wesley, but I'll give you my opinion. Most USA Drs are on the conservative side. One reason is cost. It's more expensive to have a HT in the USA than in some other places, so a 6000 graft session would not be affordable to most people. A lot of guys who need very large sessions will look to other countries to save money as they can't afford to do it in the States, so it's not easy to compete with other countries on the amount of grafts placed.

Another reason, and this is the one you are actually trying to get an answer on, is that they feel it's better to leave a lot of grafts and donor area for later use as the years go by and you lose more hair. The good thing about getting 6000 grafts with a low hairline that's densely packed is that it gives you a huge improvement and a much more youthful appearance. Who wouldn't want that? But it doesn't leave much room for further work down the road if you need it. The hair mills in some countries don't care about your long term satisfaction. They just want to show a big improvement right away for the WOW factor especially with social media these days. That makes even the good clinics in those countries have to push the larger sessions with low hairlines and dense packing too since they need to compete with the hair mill down the road. Someone like Dr Wesley who goes conservative with a higher hairline and not as dense will try to make sure you can maintain a decent look for many years by keeping a lot in reserve so you can go back periodically to add more as your loss progresses without as much worry about running out of donor grafts.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

1 hour ago, BeHappy said:

Most USA Drs are on the conservative side

I agree with a lot of what you said, but I think there is a graft survival due to blood flow issue when you go too high above 3000. I'm just trying to get confirmation on this or a source? As an example, someone who gets 5000 grafts moved in one session might have 1500 of those die but still be satisfied because they still had 3500 moved even though they destroyed a lot of their donor hairs. But if that same procedure was done in 2 sessions of 2500, maybe all would survive.

24 minutes ago, hairlossguy said:

I agree with a lot of what you said, but I think there is a graft survival due to blood flow issue when you go too high above 3000. I'm just trying to get confirmation on this or a source? As an example, someone who gets 5000 grafts moved in one session might have 1500 of those die but still be satisfied because they still had 3500 moved even though they destroyed a lot of their donor hairs. But if that same procedure was done in 2 sessions of 2500, maybe all would survive.

I've always thought it was more an issue of how densely packed the grafts are