Anyone Grown their Hair Transplant Out to Cover Their Hairline?

• Moderators

The scar doesn't look too bad, but as I also have transplant scars from over 30 years ago, I totally know what you mean about knowing it's there and how you got it. It doesn't matter what other people say about it. You always know it's there and that's what the issue is. I still sometimes have nightmares about all the procedures I had and I wake up feeling like a Frankenstein monster. Then the worst part is after I wake up I look in the mirror and the scars are still there and it's not just a nightmare, it's real. So no matter how much anyone else tells me it isn't too bad, they don't understand that I just need the scars to not be there anymore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Valued Contributor
3 hours ago, BeHappy said:

The scar doesn't look too bad, but as I also have transplant scars from over 30 years ago, I totally know what you mean about knowing it's there and how you got it. It doesn't matter what other people say about it. You always know it's there and that's what the issue is. I still sometimes have nightmares about all the procedures I had and I wake up feeling like a Frankenstein monster. Then the worst part is after I wake up I look in the mirror and the scars are still there and it's not just a nightmare, it's real. So no matter how much anyone else tells me it isn't too bad, they don't understand that I just need the scars to not be there anymore.

I hear ya @BeHappy 🙏 Just like hair loss itself, scars too are psychological. Trying to forget about them in the mirror is equally as hard! 

15 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Thanks @SadMan2021 🙏 Yes in my 20's as my natural hairline was thinning and receding I did use dermatch make up to cover the scar which was a lot more inflamed and it worked. This is something I could consider. However to do it everyday would feel almost akin to having to wear a hairpiece if you know where I'm coming from. I totally get and appreciate everyone's comments but it's just a hang up that is really hard to get around looking at through my eyes re: this hairline scar. Many thanks.

I can relate. Post-HT, my transplant hair is untamed and wild. I'm not a huge fan of its characteristics in its default state. But my hair does looks really amazing when I have product in it, so I put product in it on a near-daily basis. There are definitely days where it feels like a chore and annoying that it cant just look good unabetted by product. And I can never style my hair in a bed-head, low-key type style. It always looks a tad bit formal due to the product. 

I've also totally had the hair system thought - if I'm going to be doing 5-15 minute daily upkeep on my hair even with a HT, maybe I should have just gone the hair system route after all and saved my money lol. 

But then I also think about guys who do not have any hairloss, who still put product in their hair on a daily basis. And women who spend a lot of time putting makeup on every morning, etc.

So it does make me feel a little better knowing that, hair transplant or not, many people spend time doing annoying upkeep items on a daily basis in order to look good. 

I can see too why its more than "just" a scar, but is instead also a reminder of bad past surgeries, and yes who would want to be reminded of that if they can avoid it. 

Edited by SadMan2021
  • Thanks 1

Still, it’s an improvement and I truly hope the beard donor works well for you my good friend!

• Thanks 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Valued Contributor
36 minutes ago, kirkland said:

@Gatsbyhave you considered dermarolling across the scar tissue?

@kirklandthis is something I am now thinking about. I have had dermabrasion when I was younger as well as fillers injected into the scar years ago to lift it. The temple areas were not really repaired very well which is why they are most prominent.