Close to booking my first surgery.. Need opinions. (pics included)

Looking to book my first hair transplant.

Quick about me: I come from a family of very naturally high hairlines and no immediate family members balding which makes me a strange case. My hairline has always been very high but now there appears to be signs of male pattern baldness. It has always affected my confidence and remains my biggest insecurity but I do feel like I hide it pretty well. Not currently on any medication nor have I ever taken any.

I've considered this surgery since 2015 and have finally decided to pull the trigger. Knowing I want to stay in the US I've narrowed down my list to two surgeons being Dr. Diep & Dr. Cooley. I've consulted with both about having an FUT (I want this over FUE as I like to wear my hair longer anyways) and they both estimated that I would need about 2500-3000 grafts. They are surprising both very close in price. I would have to fly out of state for both of these choices. I initially consulted with Dr. Diep in 2015 and he told me I was too young at the time and to talk to him again a few years down the road. 6 years later I am still very interested. I'm curious about others opinions on these doctors for FUT. From what I've seen, Dr. Cooley mainly does FUT while Dr. Diep is more on FUE

As far as surgery date, I was told there are two openings in January with Dr. Diep (which is nice) and with Dr. Cooley I was told around August/September 2022. I am not factoring time with this as I don't mind waiting, but just throwing the dates out there.

I'm torn on trying to decide. Dr. Cooley has some very natural looking results and seems to specialize in FUT while Dr. Diep also has some amazing results on YouTube but after searching on this Forum I was surprised there is some controversy to him regarding his placement of grafts.

So, if you are in my shoes, who are you going with & why?

normal.png

Front.png

Right.png

left.png

top 2.png

Donor.png

back.png

2 hours ago, hotrod999 said:

Looking to book my first hair transplant.

Quick about me: I come from a family of very naturally high hairlines and no immediate family members balding which makes me a strange case. My hairline has always been very high but now there appears to be signs of male pattern baldness. It has always affected my confidence and remains my biggest insecurity but I do feel like I hide it pretty well. Not currently on any medication nor have I ever taken any.

I've considered this surgery since 2015 and have finally decided to pull the trigger. Knowing I want to stay in the US I've narrowed down my list to two surgeons being Dr. Diep & Dr. Cooley. I've consulted with both about having an FUT (I want this over FUE as I like to wear my hair longer anyways) and they both estimated that I would need about 2500-3000 grafts. They are surprising both very close in price. I would have to fly out of state for both of these choices. I initially consulted with Dr. Diep in 2015 and he told me I was too young at the time and to talk to him again a few years down the road. 6 years later I am still very interested. I'm curious about others opinions on these doctors for FUT. From what I've seen, Dr. Cooley mainly does FUT while Dr. Diep is more on FUE

As far as surgery date, I was told there are two openings in January with Dr. Diep (which is nice) and with Dr. Cooley I was told around August/September 2022. I am not factoring time with this as I don't mind waiting, but just throwing the dates out there.

I'm torn on trying to decide. Dr. Cooley has some very natural looking results and seems to specialize in FUT while Dr. Diep also has some amazing results on YouTube but after searching on this Forum I was surprised there is some controversy to him regarding his placement of grafts.

So, if you are in my shoes, who are you going with & why?

normal.png

Front.png

Right.png

left.png

top 2.png

Donor.png

back.png

I just had FUT with Dr. Diep. everything went well, i've seen a lot and spoke to a few of his previous patients all seem happy. 

• Thanks 1

I think you'd get great results from either doctor. 

I've never heard of Dr. Cooley before but I just checked out some of his work on Youtube. It's quite impressive and I'm also very impressed by how the FUT scars are pencil thin, especially when patients have had more than 3000 grafts extracted. There is a quite a long gap in between uploads though, so I'm not sure if the doctor is cherry-picking results.

Dr. Diep is a great doctor and I'm sure he's very experienced in FUT. I recently had a FUT procedure with him and so far it's looking good. I will admit that my scar is not too great. It's not noticeable with how long I usually keep my hair, but I don't think I'd be able to have my hair too short without my scar being noticeable. Still, I'd rather have a scar I can hide than having a terrible hairline that I can only hide with hats. Also, how your scar heals is dependent on you and your genetics so you might have a better looking scar than others. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AlexMeister21 said:

I think you'd get great results from either doctor. 

I've never heard of Dr. Cooley before but I just checked out some of his work on Youtube. It's quite impressive and I'm also very impressed by how the FUT scars are pencil thin, especially when patients have had more than 3000 grafts extracted. There is a quite a long gap in between uploads though, so I'm not sure if the doctor is cherry-picking results.

Dr. Diep is a great doctor and I'm sure he's very experienced in FUT. I recently had a FUT procedure with him and so far it's looking good. I will admit that my scar is not too great. It's not noticeable with how long I usually keep my hair, but I don't think I'd be able to have my hair too short without my scar being noticeable. Still, I'd rather have a scar I can hide than having a terrible hairline that I can only hide with hats. Also, how your scar heals is dependent on you and your genetics so you might have a better looking scar than others. 

Yeah Dr. Cooley definitely isn’t as active on YouTube but I’m not sure if any other surgeon posts as much as Diep lol. He could be just highlighting good results only but it’s still impressive how thin the ones showcased are. 

Also, as you mentioned with scar healing not everyone will have the same result. Ahh, tough decision. 

Maye your pics are misleading, but I consider you to be a NW 2 based on images alone. 2500-3000 seems like overkill. But then again, better to slightly overestimate the # of grafts needed than underestimate. 

Both Dr. Diep and Dr. Cooley are pretty well vetted. Keep in mind you wont have the final end result till about 10 - 15 months post hair transplant. Up to you if you want to have the process started in January or August 2022.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SadMan2021 said:

Maye your pics are misleading, but I consider you to be a NW 2 based on images alone. 2500-3000 seems like overkill. But then again, better to slightly overestimate the # of grafts needed than underestimate. 

Both Dr. Diep and Dr. Cooley are pretty well vetted. Keep in mind you wont have the final end result till about 10 - 15 months post hair transplant. Up to you if you want to have the process started in January or August 2022.  

I didn’t think about the number of grafts being overkill - but I wouldn’t mind having more to make it more dense & overall natural looking. 

Yeah, they both seem like some of the best in the US from what I can tell. I don’t think I could really go wrong with either - just trying to pick what would be best for me. 

25 minutes ago, hotrod999 said:

I don’t think I could really go wrong with either

well to be fair I have seen bad results from Dr. Diep on this forum, and even from Dr. Konior who is undoubtedly the #1 HT doc in the world. Dr. Diep could be considered downright controversial and reckless depending on who your asking (particularly with how he does the donor area). 

There is always a chance something can go wrong, its just the better the doc is the less of a chance there is. 

Regarding your naturally high hairline, I would perhaps move it down ever so slightly, but wouldn't make it significantly lower than you've ever naturally had it. You know your naturally high hairline frames your face as nature intended, with a much lower hairline, perhaps the HT could technically go off great, but your face might be framed wrong. 

That's the only reason I think 2500-3000 is overkill. Its overkill for keeping your hairline in place and just filling in the temples. But if you are lowering the hairline perhaps its a good #. Its a large amount either way idk. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SadMan2021 said:

well to be fair I have seen bad results from Dr. Diep on this forum, and even from Dr. Konior who is undoubtedly the #1 HT doc in the world. Dr. Diep could be considered downright controversial and reckless depending on who your asking (particularly with how he does the donor area). 

There is always a chance something can go wrong, its just the better the doc is the less of a chance there is. 

Regarding your naturally high hairline, I would perhaps move it down ever so slightly, but wouldn't make it significantly lower than you've ever naturally had it. You know your naturally high hairline frames your face as nature intended, with a much lower hairline, perhaps the HT could technically go off great, but your face might be framed wrong. 

That's the only reason I think 2500-3000 is overkill. Its overkill for keeping your hairline in place and just filling in the temples. But if you are lowering the hairline perhaps its a good #. Its a large amount either way idk. 

Please reference the bad results as most of the ones ive seen are really good. I have read almost every Diep post on this forum and honestly the critical ones are people that should not really be complaining since their expectations are ridiculous. Like you said no surgeon is perfect, but to say Diep is "reckless and controversia"l is an unwarranted opinion as he has transformed so many lives for the better. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rambunctious said:

Please reference the bad results as most of the ones ive seen are really good. I have read almost every Diep post on this forum and honestly the critical ones are people that should not really be complaining since their expectations are ridiculous. Like you said no surgeon is perfect, but to say Diep is "reckless and controversia"l is an unwarranted opinion as he has transformed so many lives for the better. 

Look up the poor result threads yourself. I don't have a need to convince you any which way about Dr. Diep, I have no investment in this. I really don't care what you think about Dr. Diep. 

Labeling anyone with a poor result from Dr. Diep as having over-realistic, ridiculous expectations is really er how do I say this.....narrow minded and elementary. 

21 minutes ago, SadMan2021 said:

Look up the poor result threads yourself. I don't have a need to convince you any which way about Dr. Diep, I have no investment in this. I really don't care what you think about Dr. Diep. 

Labeling anyone with a poor result from Dr. Diep as having over-realistic, ridiculous expectations is really er how do I say this.....narrow minded and elementary. 

If you don't care you wouldn't have commented in the first place, but you obviously do lol. 

If you don't think there are people, yes even on this platform, that have body dysmorphic syndrome and will never be happy with any self improvement, then that is "narrow minded and elementary" of you. 

4 minutes ago, rambunctious said:

If you don't care you wouldn't have commented in the first place, but you obviously do lol. 

If you don't think there are people, yes even on this platform, that have body dysmorphic syndrome and will never be happy with any self improvement, then that is "narrow minded and elementary" of you. 

labeling anyone who has a poor result from Dr. Diep as having body dysmorphic syndrome...wow

Just now, SadMan2021 said:

labeling anyone who has a poor result from Dr. Diep as having body dysmorphic syndrome...wow

Nope not just from diep, i have seen great results on this website from various doctors and the patient isnt happy. Its very subjective what some people call success. 

Man you went to Dr. James Harris in Colorado, he barely has any reviews, yet you trusted them and went to him. Diep has over 100 reviews man, videos, testimonials, why so much hate on him? 

5 minutes ago, rambunctious said:

Nope not just from diep, i have seen great results on this website from various doctors and the patient isnt happy. Its very subjective what some people call success. 

Man you went to Dr. James Harris in Colorado, he barely has any reviews, yet you trusted them and went to him. Diep has over 100 reviews man, videos, testimonials, why so much hate on him? 

I never said I had any hate for Diep tho? Look at my post "Dr. Diep could be considered downright controversial and reckless depending on who your asking (particularly with how he does the donor area). 

Some people consider Diep controversial, which is 100% true. Where is my own hate for Dr. Diep?

As I said before I don't care what your opinion is about Dr. Diep, or what your opinion is on anything really. 

Edited by SadMan2021

1 hour ago, SadMan2021 said:

Yeah I’ve gone through some forums here & like I said was surprised there is some controversy. He definitely has some outstanding results but I’ve also seen some pretty unnatural looking results as well. From searching here I haven’t found anyone really complain about Dr. Cooley - although he just might not be as well known as Diep though. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SadMan2021 said:

I never said I had any hate for Diep tho? Look at my post "Dr. Diep could be considered downright controversial and reckless depending on who your asking (particularly with how he does the donor area). 

Some people consider Diep controversial, which is 100% true. Where is my own hate for Dr. Diep?

As I said before I don't care what your opinion is about Dr. Diep, or what your opinion is on anything really. 

You don't care about my opinion yet you keep responding to me 😆.

Not trying to hijack the thread from @hotrod999. You will be fine with either of these docs you pick. Good luck to you! 

Just now, rambunctious said:

You don't care about my opinion yet you keep responding to me 😆.

bc you were responding to me and accusing me I have it out for Dr. Diep when I have been saying this whole time I truly don't care what anyone thinks about Dr. Diep. 

even OP of this thread just did some basic research and "He definitely has some outstanding results but I’ve also seen some pretty unnatural looking results as well" 

by your argument though all the unnatural results OP found, the patients have body dysmorphia

1 minute ago, SadMan2021 said:

bc you were responding to me and accusing me I have it out for Dr. Diep when I have been saying this whole time I truly don't care what anyone thinks about Dr. Diep. 

even OP of this thread just did some basic research and "He definitely has some outstanding results but I’ve also seen some pretty unnatural looking results as well" 

by your argument though all the unnatural results OP found, the patients have body dysmorphia

The way you interpret my argument about body dysmorphia is hilarious actually. I never said it's solely patients from one doctor, i said there are a few people from various doctors that will never be happy even with subjectively great results. 

• Administrators

Guys,

Let’s stop derailing this thread, as for poor work, one of the most famous cases here @baldlivesmatter went to both Diep and Harris. Just look at his results and judge yourself who gave him better results. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• Administrators

Op to answer your question they are both excellent surgeons. I’m a big fan of Cooley, Diep did my hair transplant, in my opinion you should talk to more patients on this forum of both surgeons. No need to rush into surgery. You’ve been balding years, what’s 9 months gonna be in the long run? Nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

12 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Op to answer your question they are both excellent surgeons. I’m a big fan of Cooley, Diep did my hair transplant, in my opinion you should talk to more patients on this forum of both surgeons. No need to rush into surgery. You’ve been balding years, what’s 9 months gonna be in the long run? Nothing.

You’re absolutely right, thanks Melvin. That’s good to know Diep did your transplant. Assuming that’s you in your profile picture, it looks great! 

• 3 weeks later...

I went with Dr Cooley after having botched procedures with 2 previous “surgeons.”

I highly recommend him, feel free to check out my thread.

Also good to note that I was a similar case to yours in that I was born with a naturally high hairline and the goal was to lower it as opposed to restoration.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, HairNTear said:

I went with Dr Cooley after having botched procedures with 2 previous “surgeons.”

I highly recommend him, feel free to check out my thread.

Also good to note that I was a similar case to yours in that I was born with a naturally high hairline and the goal was to lower it as opposed to restoration.

Just checked out your thread & you got amazing results! I decided on going with Dr. Cooley a few weeks ago, looking forward to it!