Density estimates

Hello. 
The area covered in red is where I can see scalp in bright lights. This area has lost density over the years. 45 1/2 years old. No meds or hair treatment done ever. I’d like to know an estimate of what the average hair density would be in this region and would transplant in this region be able to bring this density close to the rest of the hair density outside this frontal region. 
Thank you. 

AA6CEDF4-3CF0-409B-985F-6E2D70D87A08.jpeg

E0A1A9DB-7595-4558-A64C-DD34C4708574.jpeg

03068DDD-AA1A-4FCF-AFCA-0997275DFFEC.jpeg

CDEE63AA-39CE-4F19-B16E-A5C501E67B50.jpeg

0C7CC0B1-F23C-4C28-AAF0-21C1BD255900.jpeg

35165929-C5E9-4290-98EC-85186B9F4B06.jpeg

E6DB2793-E19F-4DAE-AEDB-5CD3605E7F1A.jpeg

F06EA356-643B-49F0-9C89-CFB85F149BAD.jpeg

F942011D-48A8-428A-B635-B73CDDC3C39D.jpeg

372F48CB-B634-44CF-9B63-8BAE340ADE74.jpeg

• Administrators

You would need at least 2,500 grafts 

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

There is no such thing as "average hair density" since we are all different.  Some have very fine hair, others coarse, etc.  I do agree with Melvin, a doctor's recommendation might be between 2000-2500 grafts.  It all depends on your goals, where exactly the hairline will be, etc. 

I would encourage you to consider some type of medical therapy.  And while your loss has been very gradual, we just don't have a hair crystal ball that will tell us what's coming down the pike. The fact however, you have a genetic condition and the loss will continue.

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

I meant what the cm sq density would be of the hair remaining in the frontal zone where thinning has occurred. Transplanted hair density range is generally 40-50 cm sq. I wanted to compare what density I have atm vs what transplanted density would be able to achieve. 
I’m not looking to lower the hair line. The central hair line hasn’t receded. 

Your donor and crown are outstanding so you’re fortunate at 45 years old to only have hair loss at the hairline. That being said I’d do fin/min/nizoral for 6-12 months and see if it reverses any hair loss, before you consider an HT

Shah, you are in great shape. 

I understand your question, however I think even most doctors would struggle to answer this just going off your photos you have provided - you need to undergo a dermascopic analysis to measure your density. 

No surgeons would try to match your original density (not from a one pass surgery anyway) but they would be able to create the illusion of the density being the same as your native hair behind. 

Theres a thread on here at the moment named something like ‘ultra high density  forehead reduction’ where an American patient went to a doctor in Brazil, who is unknown to the forum, however he apparently looks to achieve native density in one pass - might be interesting for your research. 

That said, personally I still prefer the idea of the traditional methods of creating the illusion of density as opposed to actually having it, over 1 sitting. I will happily go back to other areas to add to it, down the line. 

• Thanks 1

I have been following that thread. It’s an interesting case but seems too risky for me since he’s transplanting hair in the forehead where there’re no hair and I would be transplanting between existing hair.

I’m not looking for original density nor want a lower hairline. Any density that prevents the scalp from showing with bright overhead lights in this front region works. It’s frustrating for me to have perfect hair (for my standards) behind this frontal region and have scalp showing in this frontal region and fronta temporal points gone.

I know I shouldn’t complain. I really haven’t seen many people with such thick dense hair at my age without any treatment but it would be nice to fill up the frontal region. I keep getting advice to avoid a risky hair transplant and use meds. I just don’t like the idea of messing around with my body’s hormones for cosmetic benefits only. 

24 minutes ago, Shah007 said:

I keep getting advice to avoid a risky hair transplant and use meds

That advice is from amateurs. Trust me, you are not a risky case as far as risk is concerned with hair transplants.

You’re an ideal candidate, aside from the fact you don’t take medication (which some would argue would make you even more of a candidate, given your hair loss and age). 

It’s normal to hair transplant into existing hair, it’s an important part of the surgery known as the transition section. 

Any good surgeon will give you an amazing result. 

• Like 1

I remember that in your last thread you was also debating whether to choose FUT or FUE, any further thoughts on that ? 
Didn’t you also look at Dr Konior, Please refresh my memory. I believe you did consult with a few top Drs ? What density per cm2 were they aiming for ? 

Edited by JC71

I have done an online consultancy with a few top Doctors. I think Dr Konior is the best Doctor for my particular case with his stick and place method. He estimated 1500-2000 grafts would be needed. I’ll just go with his recommendation of FUE or FUT.  He will advise what’s best for me. He quoted up to $25k but it depends on the grafts I’ll need and whether it will be FUT or FUE.

I’m in the process of saving up atm. Don’t want to mess it up so better to wait for the best rather than rush into it now. Hairs seemingly not going anywhere too fast anyways. 

• Like 2

Regarding your question of his response to my hair density question, this was his reply: 

I do not recommend focusing on graft number densities as so many novices on the forums tend to refer to.  I've been doing this for a very long time and rarely think about the numbers, but rather focus on the result.  The number is completely meaningless unless one factors hair caliber into the equation, so comparing one 50 graft per cm transplant to another is a useless comparison unless all other hair and skin characteristics are identical.  That being said, regardless of the number, there are only so many grafts one can insert in a zone before skin necrosis or permanent shockloss becomes an issue.  The bottom line is that I focus on maximizing safe density without incurring surgical risk.”

• Like 1

Yes that’s Dr K’s reply. 

Interesting to note that Dr Nadimi said she dense packs up to 50 cm sq and the vast majority of patients are satisfied with the results and if I want more density then a second pass can be done later. She estimated I needed 1500 grafts. 

Asmed estimated 2,500 to 3,000 grafts neeeded but I was new to this field back then. Didn’t know where to go…..

2 minutes ago, Shah007 said:

Yes that’s Dr K’s reply. 

Interesting to note that Dr Nadimi said she dense packs up to 50 cm sq and the vast majority of patients are satisfied with the results and if I want more density then a second pass can be done later. She estimated I needed 1500 grafts. 

Asmed estimated 2,500 to 3,000 grafts neeeded but I was new to this field back then. Didn’t know where to go…..

Dr Nadimi is very good imo. I’m guessing that most quotes would come in around 2000 grafts for that area, and yes it’s going to be around 50cm2. I just had another look at where your proposed hairline was going to be, perfect for your age 👍🏽

• Thanks 1

Quality reply from Konior, and it is the absolute truth in what he says. 

The fact that he’s willing to take you on as well speaks volumes as to what other misinformed people have advised you in terms of saying you’re unsuitable. The doctor who chimed in on your other thread isn’t even a surgeon, his username on here is misleading to many. 

25k . . Pricey but worth it, 

• Thanks 1