COVID Affecting Growth???

I had 3000 grafts FUT done in December 2020. This is my second FUT. The first one went great but I definitely need another. It's been 11 months and there has essentially been no growth at all. When I discussed this with the doctor he asked if I had COVID. I did in February 2021 with a very very mild case. He mentioned that COVID has been slowing down hair growth. He wanted to wait to determine anything till my 1 year appointment. Everything I've researched says that this is a minor side effect and people can get temporary hair loss. Anyone hear anything along these lines? I have my one year appointment coming up - are there very many cases of no growth at all? If there is how have people handled that with the doctor? Am I SOL?

37yo - male - live and had surgery in southern California.

• Confused 1

• Administrators

Do not believe everything you read about Covid. I had Covid last October and I didn't experience any hair loss. I believe the hair loss that people are experiencing is probably induced by stress. The stress of knowing you have this illness is enough to cause your hair to go into the telogen (resting) phase. I don't see how Covid could affect your growth at all, especially since it has been almost a full year. 

• Like 2

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

That's exactly what I was reading. The temporary hair loss was usually in bad COVID cases (fevers and stress). I just wanted to have more input when I go for my appointment at the end of the month. I had a feeling the doctor was just buying time before we came to the conclusion the transplant didn't work. I tried searching the forum for failed transplants but only came up with people calling them failed too early. Is there anything the surgeons usually do in this case or is it a case-by-case basis? Redo? Refund? Shit out of luck?

Extreme conditions such as a horrible illness, extreme malnutrition or stress, etc. can sometimes cause a temporary kind of hair loss called telogen effluvium. However, unless there is another underlying cause, once the extreme condition is removed, the hair will grow back.  Perhaps this is why some individuals may have experienced hair loss when they’ve had really bad cases of Covid.  But any ongoing hair loss after feeling better just likely genetic baldness or something else not related to the disease.

All the best, 

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Administrators
22 hours ago, Wildcard said:

That's exactly what I was reading. The temporary hair loss was usually in bad COVID cases (fevers and stress). I just wanted to have more input when I go for my appointment at the end of the month. I had a feeling the doctor was just buying time before we came to the conclusion the transplant didn't work. I tried searching the forum for failed transplants but only came up with people calling them failed too early. Is there anything the surgeons usually do in this case or is it a case-by-case basis? Redo? Refund? Shit out of luck?

Depends on the clinic, if they are recommended on this forum, they’re required to stand by their work. Free touch-up may be in order. Refunds are not usually warranted since there are no guarantees to surgery. I need more information, can you share pictures?

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Pics would definitely help evaluate your concerns including before surgery.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY